• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2019 2:57 pm
[OP]
Nov 7, 2012
228 posts
288 upvotes
Toronto

Mixing Sets of Tires of Different Speed/Load Rating

I drive a prius v, and I have a year-old pair of all-season Yokohama tires, R16 rated 92V. The V speed rating is probably an overkill for my prius.

The other too tires were too old, and had to get rid of them.

Now, I need another pair for when I switch over the winter tires to all-seasons. I did some browsing, and found 90% tread available private seller offering the same brand/make/size/fit tires - two of them. Just what I need.

However, my current speed/load rating on the two tires is 92V, and the ones I found are 91H.

My question is, can I go ahead and install them like that? Two 92Vs and two 91Hs? Or is that not advisable? Opinion and experiences are welcome!
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
8110 posts
4496 upvotes
Alberta
It's not all about just the speed rating on the tires. Even though you will probably never drive to the max speed rated on the tires, it's about different compounds, tread pattern and handling also. V's will have a stiffer sidewall and corner better that the H's. Under normal driving conditions I highly doubt it if you would notice the difference on a Prius. On something like a Mustang GT, it would be a different story. But if you are going to mix them, I would put the V's on the front.
[OP]
Nov 7, 2012
228 posts
288 upvotes
Toronto
jackrabbit000 wrote: ...it's about different compounds, tread pattern and handling also. V's will have a stiffer sidewall and corner better that the H's.
Since it's the identical tire model from the same manufacturer, with the exact same size/radius, and the only different being that load index / speed rating, I assume that the compound and tread patterns are identical (and they are from what I can tell from visual comparison).

Since it makes no sense for me to buy a brand new set of 4 tires, when I have 2 tires in a very good condition, I assume it is better for me to go with:
  • the same manufacturer/model/tread pattern/size, just different load/speed rating (but very close still: 91H is right next to 92V)...
  • instead of looking for the same size/load/speed, but different model/tread pattern.

And I assume with all other variables being the same, having 92V on the front and 91H on the back shouldn't cause any issues.

Are my assumptions correct?

(Obviously, I will have to rotate the tires, so eventually the 91H will have to go to the front)
Feb 6, 2018
78 posts
19 upvotes
You will be fine. The speed rating won't affect tread life, comfort and traction.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5521 posts
3099 upvotes
Toronto
malik1234 wrote: I drive a prius v, and I have a year-old pair of all-season Yokohama tires, R16 rated 92V. The V speed rating is probably an overkill for my prius.

Now, I need another pair for when I switch over the winter tires to all-seasons. I did some browsing, and found 90% tread available private seller offering the same brand/make/size/fit tires - two of them. Just what I need.

However, my current speed/load rating on the two tires is 92V, and the ones I found are 91H.

My question is, can I go ahead and install them like that? Two 92Vs and two 91Hs? Or is that not advisable? Opinion and experiences are welcome!
Did you always replace tires in sets of 2?

What's changed now that you worry about it?
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
[OP]
Nov 7, 2012
228 posts
288 upvotes
Toronto
BeaverLiquor wrote: Did you always replace tires in sets of 2?

What's changed now that you worry about it?
No, not always. Just bought a car and it came with a pair of spait all season tires. So I need to fill the gap.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5521 posts
3099 upvotes
Toronto
malik1234 wrote: No, not always. Just bought a car and it came with a pair of spait all season tires. So I need to fill the gap.
If your other tires are getting to the same point (too old or worn down), may as well replace all 4.

If you're only going to replace 2, keep both old on the same axle because of not only tread depth differences but also weight differences. The higher load and speed rating tires are usually heavier, can be up to 5lbs heavier.

You can switch them front to back and if they are not directional left to right, just keep old with old and new with new.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3867 posts
3983 upvotes
GTA
You just want someone to tell you "yes, it's fine, go ahead".

But obviously, you should have 4 matching tires: make, model, age, wear, load/speed rating.

Buying tires 2 at a time makes no sense to me. Rotate them, they wear evenly, then replace all 4. Do you buy your shoes one at a time?
[OP]
Nov 7, 2012
228 posts
288 upvotes
Toronto
derass wrote: You just want someone to tell you "yes, it's fine, go ahead".

But obviously, you should have 4 matching tires: make, model, age, wear, load/speed rating.

Buying tires 2 at a time makes no sense to me. Rotate them, they wear evenly, then replace all 4. Do you buy your shoes one at a time?
I do sometimes buy a shoe at a time...

I honestly don't know what you want here, Captain Obvious.

Now let me ask you a question: Do you often go around the forums and reply with obvious answers, that don't really help the poster?

If I was in a situation where the remaining two tires were at end of life, do you think I would have bothered starting this thread?

I asked a question, I explained my situation. I have a pair of tires with 90% tread on them. I would like to avoid scrapping them and shelling out $140 + tax + Installation etc. per tire on four brand new ones.

It's a waste of money, it's a waste of perfectly fine pair of tires.

You see, people don't always do what makes sense. Life throws in edge cases, just to make things interesting, that you need to work around.

Go ahead and downvote the thread if you want.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3867 posts
3983 upvotes
GTA
What about buying 2 new tires to complete the set? Instead of used ones that are the incorrect spec simply because they're cheaper. That's what I would do.

But eventually you'll have to break out of this "2 tires at a time" cycle you're currently stuck in. Rule-of-thumb dictates that the new tires will have to go on the rear. The rears wear more slowly due to weight distribution and friction demands. So you'll never get the wear between the front and rear close enough to put the new tires on the front and start rotating again.
[OP]
Nov 7, 2012
228 posts
288 upvotes
Toronto
derass wrote: What about buying 2 new tires to complete the set? Instead of used ones that are the incorrect spec simply because they're cheaper. That's what I would do.

But eventually you'll have to break out of this "2 tires at a time" cycle you're currently stuck in. Rule-of-thumb dictates that the new tires will have to go on the rear. The rears wear more slowly due to weight distribution and friction demands. So you'll never get the wear between the front and rear close enough to put the new tires on the front and start rotating again.
I am exploring that option as well. Turns out those two other tires I found are not the same size, I misread the ad posted on Kijiji...

And yes, with my current 90% pair and a brand new pair I will eventually break out of the cycle.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Oct 2, 2017
702 posts
489 upvotes
you'll be fine. the only way you'll come near to those tire limits is if you're racing.
I'll see you at the top, cause the bottom is too crowded
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5144 posts
2745 upvotes
Toronto
Speaking of racing, lot of guys run different tires on rears and fronts.

Also with staggered setup, you buy front and rear tires in pairs as they worn out. Better to buy same make and model tires though unless you are drag racing.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4093 posts
1319 upvotes
Oshawa
malik1234 wrote: I drive a prius v, and I have a year-old pair of all-season Yokohama tires, R16 rated 92V. The V speed rating is probably an overkill for my prius.

There's nothing wrong with mixing speed ratings. But why would you?

And there is no such thing as the speed rating is an overkill.

Different tires have different treads. The drive would be different.

I would get a new set of four and sell the old.

Or at the minimum get a pair of the same to match the current ones. New ones go on the front since it is FWD.
16' x 11' Living Room with 11' Cathedral Ceiling. 65" Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers (FR+FL). Polk Audio S35 (Center). Klipsch R51M (RR+RL). Klipsch R14M (Dolby FHR+Dolby FHL). Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x 2.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)