MK7.5 Volkswagen Golf, GTI, and Golf R Discussion Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2020 6:15 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
1099 posts
467 upvotes
Montreal
sickcars wrote: Somebody mentioned they changed the oil likely because of emission reasons. So keeping to whats on your oil cap should be fine.

Yes make sure you tell them or another shop to remove the pump and check the screen. I would want to see it personally if VW was doing it to my car but some dealerships may not allow it which is why I went to an independent mechanic and watched them do it in front of my eyes.
Lucky to have a dealer that lets us sneak a peek at what is going on when we ask them!
Oct 28, 2012
84 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Just picked up a 2018 Golf R with DAP. $34,888 from the dealer. 45k km.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10125 posts
2170 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
DSG? If so do launch control & see if it bogs down or front tires spin. If they do there is an issue with the haldex which will be covered under warranty.
whirlwinds wrote: Just picked up a 2018 Golf R with DAP. $34,888 from the dealer. 45k km.
0_o
<_<
>_>
May 22, 2018
138 posts
313 upvotes
Does anyone know what it takes to confirm that you have a coolant leak? My coolant was on the MAX line just before winter. Now it's near the MIN line. Not the first time I've had to top it off either.

2018 MK7.5 GTI
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10125 posts
2170 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Take it to the dealer and they will check for leaks or signs of leaks. Waterpump/thermostat leaking is a common issue on these cars and would be covered under warranty.
UmarF7302 wrote: Does anyone know what it takes to confirm that you have a coolant leak? My coolant was on the MAX line just before winter. Now it's near the MIN line. Not the first time I've had to top it off either.

2018 MK7.5 GTI
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1195 posts
975 upvotes
UmarF7302 wrote: Does anyone know what it takes to confirm that you have a coolant leak? My coolant was on the MAX line just before winter. Now it's near the MIN line. Not the first time I've had to top it off either.

2018 MK7.5 GTI
Do you see or smell any coolant leaks? May just need to top it off once in a while, not a big deal. If you still have coverage then bring it to the dealer and let them check it out.
May 22, 2018
138 posts
313 upvotes
sickcars wrote: Take it to the dealer and they will check for leaks or signs of leaks. Waterpump/thermostat leaking is a common issue on these cars and would be covered under warranty.
Hindenburg1 wrote: Do you see or smell any coolant leaks? May just need to top it off once in a while, not a big deal. If you still have coverage then bring it to the dealer and let them check it out.
Yeah it's not actively leaking. Nothing to see or smell.

Coolant should be a closed system. I think it should not change levels each year, no?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
26362 posts
11402 upvotes
Toronto
My past and current cars also have to be topped up once every few months. Multiple bmws, Porsche and MB. No leaks at all.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10125 posts
2170 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
You should not really have to top it up at least not often. However your car is known for a leaky waterpump/thermostat so that is likely the issue. So bring it in while you have warranty.
UmarF7302 wrote: Yeah it's not actively leaking. Nothing to see or smell.

Coolant should be a closed system. I think it should not change levels each year, no?
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4686 posts
1901 upvotes
Markham
What's a typical discount with finance?

Unhaggle implies $600 off GTI base
May 22, 2018
138 posts
313 upvotes
sickcars wrote: You should not really have to top it up at least not often. However your car is known for a leaky waterpump/thermostat so that is likely the issue. So bring it in while you have warranty.
Last time I brought it up, they just topped it up and said don't worry. Need them to actually inspect for leaks, how do I do that.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
13937 posts
3214 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
UmarF7302 wrote: Last time I brought it up, they just topped it up and said don't worry. Need them to actually inspect for leaks, how do I do that.
Be specific about it. I'm going to Volkswagen Villa on Thursday and this is what I typed: Low coolant. Have topped off multiple times at the dealership. Suspected thermostat housing issue.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10125 posts
2170 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Yup basically what Geokilla said. You can even say you saw a drop or two on your driveway.

or if they still wont you could always go to another garage and have them lift the car and check for pink dry coolant, thats how I found out mine was leaking a few years ago.
UmarF7302 wrote: Last time I brought it up, they just topped it up and said don't worry. Need them to actually inspect for leaks, how do I do that.
0_o
<_<
>_>