• Dec 21st, 2015 3:25 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7803 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
tebore wrote: I'd like to see the LY7 deliver 250HP to the wheels.
In stock form the EA888 found in the GTI doesn't put 250 hp to the wheels either...
tebore wrote: The point here is the Germans are underrating their engines. Only time GM does that is with a Vette or something powered by an LSx or ZL.
I am pretty sure that all of GMs engines these days--even the LT1 and LT4--are SAE certified.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8306 upvotes
Brampton
unshavenyak wrote: In stock form the EA888 found in the GTI doesn't put 250 hp to the wheels either...

I am pretty sure that all of GMs engines these days--even the LT1 and LT4--are SAE certified.
Boo you don't get it. GM advertised 250HP VW advertises 200HP
The VW puts 200HP to the wheels. GM has never put advertised HP to the wheels in a mid range car since maybe the 1980s Buick Regal GNX.

SAE rating is just one way to rate an engines HP. Advertising is another thing
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7803 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
tebore wrote: Boo you don't get it. GM advertised 250HP VW advertises 200HP
The VW puts 200HP to the wheels. GM has never put advertised HP to the wheels in a mid range car since maybe the 1980s Buick Regal GNX.

SAE rating is just one way to rate an engines HP. Advertising is another thing
No, I do get it. Refer to page 1:
unshavenyak wrote:Dynos are not really useful for measuring absolute output; rather, they are great tool for measuring change in output. Having said that, there is no doubt that the Golf GTI is underrated. There are numerous dynos showing the MkVII puts out anywhere between 238-260 horsepower at the crank. Moreover, performance metrics for the GTI have been inconsistent with their advertised horsepower since at least the MkV. Speculation abound as to why VW does it (insurance reasons, marketing reasons vis-à-vis Audi, etc.), but it is what it is.
I really think we're in agreement here. One manufacturer decides to advertise their SAE net at the crank. The other is more obtuse and prefers not to state if it's crank or wheels. More often than not, it's the wheels, resulting in claims that the engines are underrated. At the end of the day, it's smoke and mirrors.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1567 posts
192 upvotes
Oakville
Yes, LY7 is "GMs older 3.6L V6. Used in late 2000s Cadillac/Saturn/Pontiacs" :)
Mine is Aura XR.

I'd really like to see owner of Golf R/GTI who actually know how to use that horsepower.

I'm so freaking tired to bypass those (or similar) (or "idle" behind them) on "quick" hwy ramps, on left lines of 40x HWY, or other local highways. :facepalm: So many people these days purchasing spec horsepower, but have absolutely no idea how to use those (nothing personal, of course)...
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11294 posts
6292 upvotes
Ontario
KosMos wrote: Yes, LY7 is "GMs older 3.6L V6. Used in late 2000s Cadillac/Saturn/Pontiacs" :)
Mine is Aura XR.

I'd really like to see owner of Golf R/GTI who actually know how to use that horsepower.

I'm so freaking tired to bypass those (or similar) (or "idle" behind them) on "quick" hwy ramps, on left lines of 40x HWY, or other local highways. :facepalm: So many people these days purchasing spec horsepower, but have absolutely no idea how to use those (nothing personal, of course)...
Gotta love your comparison. Used Aura Vs new GTI/R.

To start off let's take a price of a brand new Aura xr(at the time) and compare that to a GTI. It is nowhere near 1/3 of GTI, or even R. We could also compare performance of both on the track/0-60/etc. Guess which one performs better? Your Aura is also not a hatch and does not have capacity to carry as much stuff. And finally the comment about purchasing hp but no idea how to use it, seriously? Tell that to anyone buying a performance car. Just because you see no point in it, I guess there is no need for anyone. What am I gonna do with my mk7 R now? I know, I will trade it for Aura xr, lol? :facepalm:

Seriously why troll this thread with a useless comparison? Or are you a part of Gilboman crew?
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
tebore wrote: I'd like to see the LY7 deliver 250HP to the wheels.

The point here is the Germans are underrating their engines. Only time GM does that is with a Vette or something powered by an LSx or ZL.

Also you'd also have to drive a GM product

Looks like the Germans are good at underrating stuff. HP... Emissions etc.
heh.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
3488 posts
1531 upvotes
Toronto
KosMos wrote: Yes, LY7 is "GMs older 3.6L V6. Used in late 2000s Cadillac/Saturn/Pontiacs" :)
Mine is Aura XR.

What a stupid post... Regular roads are not racetracks. Use your horsepower on the track not the roads. Why are you in such a hurry anyway? Insecurities written all over that post...

The GTI is my secret desire. Ever since I drove my buddy's 1981 GTI back in the day, I've loved the power and handling of these cars. Remember driving a Peugeot 205 GTI, which was a riot, but totally scary. Felt like you were sitting in a tin can. Dealer told me that pretty much all the ones they had sold had rolled over already...!

Obviously these things are much more refined and sophisticated than a GTI from the 80s, but from what I understand they still retain the responsiveness and fun factor, and that's what these cars are all about, much more so than the horsepower.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
Andro wrote: Gotta love your comparison. Used Aura Vs new GTI/R.

To start off let's take a price of a brand new Aura xr(at the time) and compare that to a GTI. It is nowhere near 1/3 of GTI, or even R. We could also compare performance of both on the track/0-60/etc. Guess which one performs better? Your Aura is also not a hatch and does not have capacity to carry as much stuff. And finally the comment about purchasing hp but no idea how to use it, seriously? Tell that to anyone buying a performance car. Just because you see no point in it, I guess there is no need for anyone. What am I gonna do with my mk7 R now? I know, I will trade it for Aura xr, lol? :facepalm:

Seriously why troll this thread with a useless comparison? Or are you a part of Gilboman crew?
lol owned.

I too love the comment about "not knowing how to use the hp" but he does...... rightttttttttt

same as the people that post in the video threads about everyone elses driving, but never put a video up ever.

golf R and the GTI are amazing vehicles.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote: Looks like the Germans are good at underrating stuff. HP... Emissions etc.
Zing! On any note, I always thought everyone knew the best value purchase would be either the base GTI or the base WRX.