Mkes computers is now selling Team Group products

• Last Updated:
  • May 7th, 2019 2:53 am
11 replies
Sep 13, 2011
959 posts
609 upvotes
Québec
what are the reviews of this brand, it seem dubious to me.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4442 posts
245 upvotes
elgros4 wrote: what are the reviews of this brand, it seem dubious to me.
Seems to be better than Chinese quality but worse than Sandisk or something. Seems like a pretty ideal deal for using USB sticks and microSDs for cheap that you just use for storage and don't need a bunch of performance from.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3361 posts
400 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
I believe Newegg.ca's been carrying Team Group products for a few years now. Never bought any as I had an impression that they were just an in-store brand.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1789 posts
1352 upvotes
I was going to make an order but the shipping rate makes me think twice.
It is not on a flat rate. As one orders more ($$), the shipping rate goes up.

Good deal for those living nearby a B&M store.
A QUIET MAN IS A THINKING MAN.
A QUIET WOMAN IS A DANGEROUS WOMAN

My Missus said " I don't tell you how to spend your $$, Don't tell me how to spend your $$."
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1971 posts
1026 upvotes
GTA
@rabbit and @everyone else.

Stay the hell away from LED/RGB SSDs. Kingston just screwed up big time by doing this. Go watch JayTwoCents.

Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2165 posts
1049 upvotes
Saint John
heyyahblah wrote: @rabbit and @everyone else.

Stay the hell away from LED/RGB SSDs. Kingston just screwed up big time by doing this. Go watch JayTwoCents.

Amazing. How did that drive even make it past testing?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2165 posts
1049 upvotes
Saint John
elgros4 wrote: what are the reviews of this brand, it seem dubious to me.
Team is a lot like G.Skill in terms of its product lineup and marketing -- basically they both buy memory chips (DRAM and flash) and build and sell consumer products based on them. Team haven't been around for as long to develop a reputation, but reviews are usually decent.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1971 posts
1026 upvotes
GTA
birthdaymonkey wrote:
Amazing. How did that drive even make it past testing?
I have no idea, that's the insane part. This is the 2nd time Anandtech has exposed Kingston for their SSDs. The first time was the A200 or A300 line of SSDs. When Kingston said they were using Toshiba NAND in their SSDs only for people to buy the SATA SSDs and getting poor performance on read/write speeds, only until Anandtech took the drive apart and found out Kingston was using cheaper no name Chinese NAND instead of the Toshiba ones like they claimed they were using.

Now you have this RGB/LED SSD fiasco with Kingston and Team Group is the only other brand making these stupid RGB SSDS. Not sure how TG drives are doing but I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole, and yea how it made it past QC is beyond me. I totally agree with you. Ever since the cheap NAND issue with Kingston being exposed, I stay away from anything they make, be it RAM modules or pen drives, etc. I don't trust the souce of the memory they are using. If its Hyinx or no name or god knows what.
birthdaymonkey wrote: Team is a lot like G.Skill in terms of its product lineup and marketing -- basically they both buy memory chips (DRAM and flash) and build and sell consumer products based on them. Team haven't been around for as long to develop a reputation, but reviews are usually decent.
So I've seen, but I'm still hesitant to trust them. I know my go to for RAM, atm is G.Skill because you can find solid reviews that they use Samsung die chips, they overclock easily and don't really hear much about failing modules with that brand. Team is still new so I'm skeptical. But I would choose them over Kingston.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12923 posts
2221 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
WTF, there are LED lights on the SSD itself? I thought it was just some reflective sticker :D .

Yeah, no worries here. My computer isn't used for a clown show, so no chance of me buying one of these disco SSDs.