None
15 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2013
2073 posts
2129 upvotes
Living the dream
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: R.I.P.

There should be rules to prevent this tragedy from happening.

http://nypost.com/2016/04/12/mma-fighte ... h-in-cage/
Agreed.

They need to set rules against hitting each other. It should be a battle of the minds.
The name is pronounced El‧u‧àr‧do. I am the ultimate deal hunter, y'all just gatherers. I was the first openly black man to get a Costco membership.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4359 posts
2923 upvotes
ElHoardo wrote: Agreed.

They need to set rules against hitting each other. It should be a battle of the minds.
Tickle fight!

Not to make light of someone dying in a sporting event, but it is well known that head trauma is hazardous. I counted 8 punches thrown, but the guy looked to be protecting his head with his hand. I'm sure people will question whether the ref should have stopped it sooner (and I'm sure the ref himself wishes he did) but it is a split second judgement call.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1725 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
From the little I've unfortunately ended up seeing of this thuggery (when switching to TSN/SN hoping to see actual "sport"), it was probably only a matter of time. Usually I see a couple of exhausted morons exhaustedly slugging each other at the urging of their "coaches", while the "ref" just watches on. These fights should really be ended well before that point. What is gained from two exhausted men (women?) continuing to hit each other, long after any skill/strategy has ended, other to appease the moron crowds filling the coffers of the wealthy promoters? May as well bring in televised cock fighting and bullfighting if audiences really need to see brutality. At least that way no humans would be harmed, regardless of disposable they may be considered. And if these men insist on pursuing this "career" path, why not throw in swords, tridents, nets, and shields, and bring back gladiator combat? At least that would be a true contest, requiring true skill, unlike the current mess.
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4120 upvotes
Ottawa
Tornado F2 wrote: From the little I've unfortunately ended up seeing of this thuggery (when switching to TSN/SN hoping to see actual "sport"), it was probably only a matter of time. Usually I see a couple of exhausted morons exhaustedly slugging each other at the urging of their "coaches", while the "ref" just watches on. These fights should really be ended well before that point. What is gained from two exhausted men (women?) continuing to hit each other, long after any skill/strategy has ended, other to appease the moron crowds filling the coffers of the wealthy promoters? May as well bring in televised cock fighting and bullfighting if audiences really need to see brutality. At least that way no humans would be harmed, regardless of disposable they may be considered. And if these men insist on pursuing this "career" path, why not throw in swords, tridents, nets, and shields, and bring back gladiator combat? At least that would be a true contest, requiring true skill, unlike the current mess.
Really? Watch animals kill each other over watching humans do the same? This is 2016 get with the times.

Sincerely,
The SJW association of the world
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2445 posts
442 upvotes
Kitchener
From the video posted it didn't look as severe as many other fights. It looks like a freak accident or perhaps an under lying issue.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46307 posts
9318 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Tornado F2 wrote: From the little I've unfortunately ended up seeing of this thuggery (when switching to TSN/SN hoping to see actual "sport"), it was probably only a matter of time. Usually I see a couple of exhausted morons exhaustedly slugging each other at the urging of their "coaches", while the "ref" just watches on. These fights should really be ended well before that point. What is gained from two exhausted men (women?) continuing to hit each other, long after any skill/strategy has ended, other to appease the moron crowds filling the coffers of the wealthy promoters? May as well bring in televised cock fighting and bullfighting if audiences really need to see brutality. At least that way no humans would be harmed, regardless of disposable they may be considered. And if these men insist on pursuing this "career" path, why not throw in swords, tridents, nets, and shields, and bring back gladiator combat? At least that would be a true contest, requiring true skill, unlike the current mess.
It doesn't happen all that often... There is a code of ethics for these types of professionally sanctioned fights.
Keep in mind... This is a game where people literally go at it with the intention of causing grave injury to your opponent. Despite this, deaths rarely occur
May 21, 2013
832 posts
377 upvotes
Montreal
People die life goes on, it's MMA so this doesn't come as a shock.

There have been various other athletes in their respective sports who have lost their lives in the past. They know the risk and the game lives on.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14926 posts
9332 upvotes
Toronto
lol, guy didn't die in the cage fix your title. He was taken to hospital where he died 2 days later. It's not an issue, these people know the risk, it's just odd you don't hear it happening more often.
May 21, 2013
832 posts
377 upvotes
Montreal
koffey wrote: lol, guy didn't die in the cage fix your title. He was taken to hospital where he died 2 days later. It's not an issue, these people know the risk, it's just odd you don't hear it happening more often.
X2, I'm curious to see what a autopsy will reveal. Most fighters especially in the UFC have to pass a rigorous medical exam and it's also amazing what the human body can take. Everyone is built differently, some people die from a simple bump on the head meanwhile go watch the Igor Vovchanchyn/Enson Inoue tilt. How the human head can take that match trauma is beyond me.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14926 posts
9332 upvotes
Toronto
^ I believe they said it was from a brain bleed but I don't think anything was verified.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
8917 posts
1550 upvotes
I took a basketball to the head one time and I felt like I was going to die. Not sure how people can withstand such punishment in the cage...
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46307 posts
9318 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
bobbings wrote: I took a basketball to the head one time and I felt like I was going to die. Not sure how people can withstand such punishment in the cage...
It's probably because you're a basketball player, not a fighter. :lol:

These guys are built for it... some people really do have iron jaws. Well... sport sciency speaking... These athletes have strong core muscles including muscular development of their back, shoulders, and chest which help keep their head firmly in place. :lol:
Much like that b-ball player born with many fast twitch muscle fibers that allow them to do a windmill dunk.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9642 posts
3904 upvotes
Toronto
ksimms3 wrote: People die life goes on, it's MMA so this doesn't come as a shock.

There have been various other athletes in their respective sports who have lost their lives in the past. They know the risk and the game lives on.
actually it does come as a bit of a shock since death is so rare in mma. death and and long term brain injury is much more common in boxing, but many of the folks who rail against mma will conveniently ignore that fact.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
8917 posts
1550 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: It's probably because you're a basketball player, not a fighter. :lol:

These guys are built for it... some people really do have iron jaws. Well... sport sciency speaking... These athletes have strong core muscles including muscular development of their back, shoulders, and chest which help keep their head firmly in place. :lol:
Much like that b-ball player born with many fast twitch muscle fibers that allow them to do a windmill dunk.
They're built to be a fighter but I doubt people were built to take repeated blows to the head.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!