• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2019 12:27 pm
[OP]
Feb 8, 2019
56 posts
25 upvotes

Mobile device warranty

In a bit of a pickle here.

Bought a p30 pro about 1 month ago. Sent it into Huawei because the camera was faulty and didn't work right. I had no idea that futuretel (%%%% them) would be performing the repair. The phone came back with the back glass glued incorrectly. I can see the internals of the phone.

The other thing that kind of pisses me off is they decided to install freedom mobile bloatware. I can't get the apps deleted.

I contacted Huawei they're telling me to send my phone back to their "repair center". Im not doing that.

This phone is subsidized through sasktel. I'm on a 2 year plan. Is there anything I can do through sasktel? Would I be eligible for a brand new device under any consumer laws? This phone was sold to me with IP68 rating, clearly futuretel doesn't have the ability to repair phones while retaining the rating.
8 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18653 posts
2376 upvotes
Woodbridge
Problem with android especially from companies like Huawei, LG.

Samsung has improved especially now that Experience Stores handle warranty/repairs. Experienced it myself. Flawless work.

I guess RMA is not an option. I know you can with Google & OnePlus.

I know this doesn't help.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19706 posts
9157 upvotes
Oakville
As far as I know, there aren't any companies that will guarantee waterproofing after it's been repaired any way (and for that matter - that IP68 rating isn't guaranteed either. It's why water damage isn't covered under warranty). But yeah, unfortunately you don't have much recourse other than sending it back to their repair facility again. There's no consumer protections available for "I don't like the place that they choose for repairs", unfortunately.
[OP]
Feb 8, 2019
56 posts
25 upvotes
The way I see it... If I purchase a phone that has advertised IP68 rating, I expect that phone to carry the rating throughout the 1 year warranty period. Regardless if it had repairs or not. That's what the warranty is for, to guarantee the product.

If they can't provide me with a repair that retains the rating, then they should be supplying brand new devices instead.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19706 posts
9157 upvotes
Oakville
vapesmoker wrote: The way I see it... If I purchase a phone that has advertised IP68 rating, I expect that phone to carry the rating throughout the 1 year warranty period. Regardless if it had repairs or not. That's what the warranty is for, to guarantee the product.
You may see it that way, but that doesn't make it so. Read the warranty: https://consumer.huawei.com/ca/support/warranty-policy/

Line one, in exclusions:

The reason they don't warranty waterproofing is because as soon as it's in your hands, there's no way for them to confirm what you've done with the phone that might have screwed with the waterproofing seal. Dropped it? Put it in the pocket of your skinny jeans, resulting in crazy flexing? Any number of things you could've done to break the seal that's nothing to do with the workmanship of the product.

And yes, it's trash, but it's why I don't factor waterproof rating into my purchase of a new phone, ever. Because no company includes waterproofing in their warranties. It's purely marketing schtick, and MAY save you if you accidentally drop your phone in the toilet, but it's definitely not guaranteed.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5281 posts
3762 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Buy an iPhone. They properly seal back the phone to retain IP rating. Plus they use all OEM parts, no shady aftermarket.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19706 posts
9157 upvotes
Oakville
bomber17 wrote: Buy an iPhone. They properly seal back the phone to retain IP rating. Plus they use all OEM parts, no shady aftermarket.
Water damage still isn't covered under warranty, though.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5281 posts
3762 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
wearysky wrote: Water damage still isn't covered under warranty, though.
No company will. OP just wants a phone back the way it was with IP rating. If you had Apple Care+, then you can get it repaired if it had water damage for a lower cost.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19706 posts
9157 upvotes
Oakville
bomber17 wrote: No company will. OP just wants a phone back the way it was with IP rating. If you had Apple Care+, then you can get it repaired if it had water damage for a lower cost.
Right, but my point is - even if they say that they're giving it back to you with the IP rating intact, there's no guarantee that it actually *is* intact, and if it gets ruined by water you're still screwed on the warranty any way. So worrying about that is kind of moot (because as soon as you take the phone out of the box and put it in yoru pocket, there's no guarantee that the IP rating is holding any way). BUT, the back glass being glued so badly that you can see the internals of the phone *is* something to complain about. Unfortunately, the only remedy is to send it back to the same shitty repair company.