Shopping Discussion

The Mobile Shop (any locations in Toronto/GTA that sell phones outright?)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2022 3:49 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2005
9352 posts
218 upvotes
GTA/Markham

The Mobile Shop (any locations in Toronto/GTA that sell phones outright?)

is there any TMS that sells phones outright in Toronto/GTA? I'm looking to unload my useless points for a couple of new phones.
[url=https://www.themobileshop.ca/en/faq/wha ... se-policy/]Your text to link here...[/url]
I've been to two different stores in Markham, both say they won't sell any phone outright without a plan.

TIA
Last edited by Mars2012 on Nov 25th, 2022 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added detail to title, original was: The Mobile Shop
12 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15849 posts
21614 upvotes
Vancouver
Redeem your points for groceries and then use the money freed up from your grocery budget to get a phone from someone willing to sell you one.
I know this doesn’t “feel” the same as redeeming points for a phone directly, but the math works out the same.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
3841 posts
3706 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I thought the mobile shop sells outright without the plan ?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2005
9352 posts
218 upvotes
GTA/Markham
[quote=mrfrugal83 post_id=36885141 time=1669391626 user_id=1000437]
I thought the mobile shop sells outright without the plan ?
[/quote]

I spoke with an agent online and they said they do, I kept a copy of the transcript. But the 2 stores in Markham, plus a 3rd in RH just said no, with plans only.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
17013 posts
12414 upvotes
Toronto
mcbain27 wrote: is there any TMS that sells phones outright in Toronto/GTA? I'm looking to unload my useless points for a couple of new phones.
Your text to link here...
I've been to two different stores in Markham, both say they won't sell any phone outright without a plan.

TIA
You don't buy groceries or other household items?
Kiraly wrote: Redeem your points for groceries and then use the money freed up from your grocery budget to get a phone from someone willing to sell you one.
I know this doesn’t “feel” the same as redeeming points for a phone directly, but the math works out the same.
bingo.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2005
9352 posts
218 upvotes
GTA/Markham
I do buy groceries, but for me, it's the fact that its posted on their corporate site and in my discussions with the online agent, but none of the stores I've been to or called is willing to sell a phone outright based on their own FAQ.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15849 posts
21614 upvotes
Vancouver
mcbain27 wrote: I do buy groceries, but for me, it's the fact that its posted on their corporate site and in my discussions with the online agent, but none of the stores I've been to or called is willing to sell a phone outright based on their own FAQ.
Why does it matter if you can just redeem your points for groceries? Do that, then go buy the phone from a merchant who is willing to sell it to you instead of pulling teeth from a merchant who isn't. The end result (your bank account and points balances) will be exactly the same in both cases. Go with the path of least frustration.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
3841 posts
3706 upvotes
Oakville, ON
mcbain27 wrote: I spoke with an agent online and they said they do, I kept a copy of the transcript. But the 2 stores in Markham, plus a 3rd in RH just said no, with plans only.
They’re lying it’s because they get commission on the plans and try to save them for plan customers
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1427 posts
986 upvotes
London, On
I went through this last year. Ended up having the online chat agent email the store I was refused at and they sold me the phone the next day. The caveat is, off the top of my head, is you need 50% of the value of the phone, up to $500, in PC Optimum points.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4542 posts
1095 upvotes
Richmond
I was able to redeem pc points. I had to put the remaining balance on a tab and sign a contract. They want to be able to sign you up for a contract.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2005
9352 posts
218 upvotes
GTA/Markham
[quote="mrfrugal83" post_id=36893793 time=1669424758 user_id=1000437][quote=mcbain27 post_id=36889398 time=1669404266 user_id=23587]

I spoke with an agent online and they said they do, I kept a copy of the transcript. But the 2 stores in Markham, plus a 3rd in RH just said no, with plans only.
[/quote]

They’re lying it’s because they get commission on the plans and try to save them for plan customers[/quote]

[quote=djeffery post_id=36894167 time=1669427126 user_id=1414082]
I went through this last year. Ended up having the online chat agent email the store I was refused at and they sold me the phone the next day. The caveat is, off the top of my head, is you need 50% of the value of the phone, up to $500, in PC Optimum points.
[/quote]

I might have to try that. I have 3M in points I just want to use, I know their commission is based off selling of plans. Sure its the same as spending the points on other things, and I would prefer the path of least resistance, but there's just something about this that doesn't sit right with me, I'm very black and white with certain things.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2001
3355 posts
1141 upvotes
Toronto
it's right on the website, but looks like it's maxed out at 500k redemption.

https://www.themobileshop.ca/en/faq/wha ... se-policy/
What is your outright purchase policy?

If you want to purchase an unlocked device outright (without signing a two-year contract) you will need to have at least half of the retail cost of the device paid with PC OptimumTM points (up to a max of 500,000 PC Optimum points per transaction). The remaining balance owed can be paid with cash, debit or credit.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15849 posts
21614 upvotes
Vancouver
mcbain27 wrote: I have 3M in points I just want to use, I know their commission is based off selling of plans. Sure its the same as spending the points on other things, and I would prefer the path of least resistance, but there's just something about this that doesn't sit right with me, I'm very black and white with certain things.
I really recommend you try changing your thinking about this. I know it’s ‘not sitting right’ but that’s all psychology you can totally rethink. You’re frustrating yourself trying to get the Mobile Shop to give you their business when they obviously don’t want it.

One more thing to think about when redeeming points for a phone: you void any extended warranty or insurance coverage your credit card might otherwise have provided you. So doing it the way that ‘sits right’ may very well be working against you.