Black Friday & Cyber Monday Discussion 2017

[The Mobile Shop] Black Friday Round-Up 2017 All Carriers - all provinces except QC

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2018 8:13 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: Which phone will you grab (up to 3)?

• Total votes: 224. You have voted on this poll.
Galaxy S7

23%
Galaxy A5

7%
LG G6

24%
LG Q6

2%
iPhone 6

13%
iPhone SE

8%
Something else (post comment on the thread)

23%
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
11354 posts
10378 upvotes
john2922222 wrote: I got a phone with Koodo phone with a small tab at a TMS in Zehrs earlier today which is running a no tax event. I didn't realize I could bring the tab down from $240 to $10 by paying at TMS. Is it possible to go back and pay the $230, or does this have to be done in the original activation?
It is too late after activation as TMS does not have control of your account any more.

Talk to your TMS csr to cancel your account and redo the whole process again since you have a
15 days to return your phone and owing nothing.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $37 5GB, $13 250MB, 2x $8 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone. Have a better and better day!
Mar 24, 2017
109 posts
16 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: Do the Koodo deal. $200 net will likely land you iPhone 6 or a Galaxy A5. Koodo's deals are not as hot as expected.

To go on tab small and pay the $120 upfront with PC points, you'll need to already have the $120 in PC points. This can also work if you're going for more than one phone. They won't do "instant redemption".
So do I have to get a new provider or no? I just want a phone that can use rogers tower signals since my provider is a subsidiary of rogers.
how does koodo deals work? Do I just pay 200 bucks and I get the phone? Or do I have to use their plans too?
Sep 26, 2012
327 posts
116 upvotes
North York
john2922222 wrote: I got a phone with Koodo phone with a small tab at a TMS in Zehrs earlier today which is running a no tax event. I didn't realize I could bring the tab down from $240 to $10 by paying at TMS. Is it possible to go back and pay the $230, or does this have to be done in the original activation?
You can go back and redo the activation by returning everything, but the sim card is non-refundable. If they charge you for a new sim card on your next activation, it will be more than the tax savings (assuming Alberta #). $230 x 0.05 = $11.50, while the sim costs $15.
Jul 30, 2016
478 posts
153 upvotes
Thanks for reply. OP, so i had completed referral process with alberta number which i took at the time of purchase.

Now, if i call and put it on seasonal hold - would i be still getting referral on my account ?
Or should i modify the med tab to small tab at self serve and wait couple of weeks to do seasonal hold to make sure the referral is approved.
Jul 30, 2016
478 posts
153 upvotes
Wow mobile i got free sim cards for 2 of my phones (G6 and 6S), tms guys also can do that but they are a bit picky. I called couple of store in Ottawa to use the points to pay the tab but both stores said NO so i choose wow to get the phones.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
11354 posts
10378 upvotes
AccountID wrote: So do I have to get a new provider or no? I just want a phone that can use rogers tower signals since my provider is a subsidiary of rogers.
how does koodo deals work? Do I just pay 200 bucks and I get the phone? Or do I have to use their plans too?
You need to sign up a plan with Koodo in order to get a inexpensive, but good, phone on Koodo tab. Koodo tab is a 0% interest loan with 24 monthly payment. You have to pay Koodo tab balance if you cancel your Koodo plan. Depending on the phone you get, you get gift in pc points from TMS or in MC GC from WOW + phone trade-in credit.

There are 2 opinions on cancellation without risking Koodo clawing back the value of the gift you received. I prefer to stay for 90 days before cancellation. Other opinion prefers to cancel the next day.

If the Koodo phone you get is not already unlocked, you can get it unlocked by Koodo now and no charge. After unlock, you are free to use it with your Rogers SIM card even you are staying with Koodo for 90 days.
Public Mobile $37 5GB, $13 250MB, 2x $8 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan,
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
12419 posts
9122 upvotes
Leask
jasman123 wrote: Hello everyone, I got an iPhone 7 Plus from TMS yesterday on a Koodo large tab, just wondering if I there is anyway I can switch that number to a QC number and take advantage of $49/month 6+2gb plan that Koodo has for QC residents. I would then port my ON number from Rogers if possible. TIA
If you activated a plan that didn't include the bonus 2GB for 24 months, then it's too late. Return the phone, redo the deal on a plan that includes the 2GB bonus (even if it's expensive). Then switch to a QC #, then do a plan re-rate, then port in ON # from Robbers.
iamagtaguy wrote: Thanks for reply. OP, so i had completed referral process with alberta number which i took at the time of purchase.

Now, if i call and put it on seasonal hold - would i be still getting referral on my account ?
Or should i modify the med tab to small tab at self serve and wait couple of weeks to do seasonal hold to make sure the referral is approved.
Lines on seasonal hold still cash in on referrals.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home. Hackers keep changing my location to Leask on weekends.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Nov 14, 2003
319 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
My new Koodo phone has a sticker on the box with "8/24" written on it. Arrival date? Hold for pickup?
I put in a Rogers SIM, and it factory reset itself, and now it is working fine. Does that mean it is unlocked, or locked to Rogers?
Is it really an hour on hold to ask Koodo?
Oct 5, 2008
105 posts
20 upvotes
Brampton
titaniumtux wrote: If you activated a plan that didn't include the bonus 2GB for 24 months, then it's too late. Return the phone, redo the deal on a plan that includes the 2GB bonus (even if it's expensive). Then switch to a QC #, then do a plan re-rate, then port in ON # from Robbers.

Lines on seasonal hold still cash in on referrals.
Thanks tux,

Can I pay the tab off and then switch to a 2gb bonus plan on self serve? Or do I have to wait until 90 days to pay the tab and keep the line active. After that can I change the number to a QC one and lastly port over from robbers to Koodo?
Mar 22, 2004
625 posts
33 upvotes
Ottawa
embguy wrote: There are 2 opinions on cancellation without risking Koodo clawing back the value of the gift you received. I prefer to stay for 90 days before cancellation. Other opinion prefers to cancel the next day.
Say I choose to cancel next day, when would the clawback happen? Would it be within the 15 days? I suppose if it's within the 15 days, then I have the opportunity to return the phone.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
11354 posts
10378 upvotes
cuto wrote: Say I choose to cancel next day, when would the clawback happen? Would it be within the 15 days? I suppose if it's within the 15 days, then I have the opportunity to return the phone.
Check your next statement a few days after the start of next billing cycle which is usually 5 to 10 days for new account.
Mar 22, 2004
625 posts
33 upvotes
Ottawa
embguy wrote: Check your next statement a few days after the start of next billing cycle which is usually 5 to 10 days for new account.
Nice. At least there's time to return.

Hm I wonder if I screwed myself over by buying another phone on the same account, which I plan on cancelling tomorrow. I can cancel both tomorrow eh?
Mar 20, 2004
118 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Cnsultnt wrote: My new Koodo phone has a sticker on the box with "8/24" written on it. Arrival date? Hold for pickup?
I put in a Rogers SIM, and it factory reset itself, and now it is working fine. Does that mean it is unlocked, or locked to Rogers?
My SE box had a sticker on it too... September something. I plugged it in to restore from backup and iTunes confirmed it was unlocked.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
2799 posts
1306 upvotes
Cnsultnt wrote: My new Koodo phone has a sticker on the box with "8/24" written on it. Arrival date? Hold for pickup?
nattie6_6 wrote:
My SE box had a sticker on it too... September something. I plugged it in to restore from backup and iTunes confirmed it was unlocked.
It looks like Telus has mass unlocked all their IMEIs already with Apple and that is very good news. These phones are unlocking as they are being activated with Apple servers.
Loose lips sink ships. | Her Majesty's Naval Service
Jul 30, 2016
478 posts
153 upvotes
titaniumtux and embguy - Thanks for your help and suggestions. I was able to put on seasonal hold. I truly appreciate your help.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)