Black Friday & Cyber Monday Discussion 2017

[The Mobile Shop] Black Friday Round-Up 2017 All Carriers - all provinces except QC

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2018 8:13 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: Which phone will you grab (up to 3)?

• Total votes: 224. You have voted on this poll.
Galaxy S7

23%
Galaxy A5

7%
LG G6

24%
LG Q6

2%
iPhone 6

13%
iPhone SE

8%
Something else (post comment on the thread)

23%
Apr 29, 2012
79 posts
36 upvotes
Edmonton
Bought iPhone 6 at TMS on the 23rd and tried to put my line on the seasonal hold as I was thinking about buying more phone from TMS.

I called 3 times tonight, but was denied of seasonal hold by all three agents I spoke to. I found out why as the 3rd agent said one of the agents I spoke to previously left a note saying “this customer is not eligible for a seasonal hold until after 90 days”. Basically, the note stays in the system permanently for any customer service rep to see. I asked nicely each time, but I don’t think I will have a chance of getting a seasonal hold.

So what I do now? I’m only interested in keeping the phone, not staying with Koodo.

Return the phone to TMS? Or should I cancel it and pay off the tab (small $240)? If I pay off the tab, can I still buy phone from TMS? Or will they blacklist me and will not sell phones in the future? Anyone know?
Aug 9, 2006
393 posts
30 upvotes
pellico wrote: Bought iPhone 6 at TMS on the 23rd and tried to put my line on the seasonal hold as I was thinking about buying more phone from TMS.

I called 3 times tonight, but was denied of seasonal hold by all three agents I spoke to. I found out why as the 3rd agent said one of the agents I spoke to previously left a note saying “this customer is not eligible for a seasonal hold until after 90 days”. Basically, the note stays in the system permanently for any customer service rep to see. I asked nicely each time, but I don’t think I will have a chance of getting a seasonal hold.

So what I do now? I’m only interested in keeping the phone, not staying with Koodo.

Return the phone to TMS? Or should I cancel it and pay off the tab (small $240)? If I pay off the tab, can I still buy phone from TMS? Or will they blacklist me and will not sell phones in the future? Anyone know?
I'd cancel if you aren't staying. I did it last year with no harm
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
11354 posts
10378 upvotes
pellico wrote: Bought iPhone 6 at TMS on the 23rd and tried to put my line on the seasonal hold as I was thinking about buying more phone from TMS.

1. Call again in couple of days.
2. Boxing week sale is 1 month away. You can just pay a month of service and cancel after getting more phone at TMS. There is no credit check again if you add another number to an existing Koodo account.
3. You can use WOW or WM if you cancel now.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $37 5GB, $13 250MB, 2x $8 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone. Have a better and better day!
Nov 28, 2016
80 posts
31 upvotes
Alberta
So I think I got some wrong information from a Koodo agent....

I did a phone upgrade. I am keeping my plan. I just want to pay off my TAB but the agent says I need to wait 90 days or Koodo claws back my PC points. Surely this isn't correct, right??
Apr 29, 2012
79 posts
36 upvotes
Edmonton
@embguy, I can try in a couple of days, but there is a note under my name. So even if I add another line for Boxing Day sale, I think I will still be denied of a seasonal hold for a new line because of the note which stays in the system.

I wonder if I’m better off returning the phone to TMS so that they will not have my record when I purchase the same iPhone 6 or better one (hoping for iPhone 6s or 7) for Boxing Day. I know I will have to do credit check again.

@FlightCanada, have u bought a phone from TMS since u had canceled iyour line?

I’m just worried that TMS will not sell phones to me in the future if they find out I have cancelled my line. That’s my biggest worry. I thought someone mentioned it in this thread before.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
12419 posts
9122 upvotes
Leask
MikeyCanada wrote: So I think I got some wrong information from a Koodo agent....

I did a phone upgrade. I am keeping my plan. I just want to pay off my TAB but the agent says I need to wait 90 days or Koodo claws back my PC points. Surely this isn't correct, right??
Not sure what you're hoping to achieve. If you're going to keep your plan long-term, why not wait the 90 days to pay off the tab?

You can get a loyalty agent (supervisor) to zero-out your device balance and apply it as an account charge. This will not claw back the PC points, and TMS won't get clawed back as long as you don't cancel the monthly service within 90 days.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home. Hackers keep changing my location to Leask on weekends.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Mar 22, 2004
625 posts
33 upvotes
Ottawa
fortune88 wrote: It depends. Loblaws had a no-tax event on Friday and Saturday. I got iphone 6 with Koodo from Loblaws yesterday. No tax + 250K points.
I got the same thing too! It appears she waived the $15 SIM card too. BUT mine has to be shipped in from somewhere else so earliest arrival time would be Wed. :(

On the same day but at a different location (Westboro's Superstore in Ottawa), I got the G6 for $0 on medium tab + 100K points. I'll cancel this line today and hope for the best!
Nov 14, 2003
319 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
Felt guilty about cancelling right away. Second call to customer service got me on a seasonal hold. If guess if I get some referrals, that will pay off the 3 months hold.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
11354 posts
10378 upvotes
Just checked TMS website. The iPhone 6 and A5 still have 250k PC points offer. iPhone 6s 200k PC points.
Public Mobile $37 5GB, $13 250MB, 2x $8 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan,
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
12419 posts
9122 upvotes
Leask
embguy wrote: Just checked TMS website. The iPhone 6 and A5 still have 250k PC points offer. iPhone 6s 200k PC points.
The iPhone 6 with 250k pts on a Koodo HUP is unreal. I got loyalty to knock off $50 on Moto G4 Plus device balance to upgrade to an iPhone 6, and this is x2 (on two lines, already on AB numbers). This is very accommodating, and works out better for me than chasing after referral credits. Not only that, but some of the 90 day haul overlaps the Moto G4 Plus 90 day haul.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home. Hackers keep changing my location to Leask on weekends.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Oct 14, 2004
821 posts
174 upvotes
Victoria
Is it expected today is the last day of these promo points?
May 7, 2012
932 posts
409 upvotes
embguy wrote: Just checked TMS website. The iPhone 6 and A5 still have 250k PC points offer. iPhone 6s 200k PC points.
Success with iP6s and 200k PC points earlier today but as a match for BB's deal. Wonder if this will be on tomorrow.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
11354 posts
10378 upvotes
gameon12 wrote: Success with iP6s and 200k PC points earlier today but as a match for BB's deal. Wonder if this will be on tomorrow.
Let hope that TMS will extend this promo from Cyber Monday to the whole Cyber week!
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
12419 posts
9122 upvotes
Leask
embguy wrote: Let hope that TMS will extend this promo from Cyber Monday to the whole Cyber week!
Depends on the carrier. Since Koodo's referrals were only $25 a piece, that means there's not much to go down. My guess is they'll keep the PC points until end of month.
Jun 10, 2005
474 posts
171 upvotes
Thanks OP! Got an LG G6 with 100K points that were immediately used to discount the small tab upfront fee ($120 - $100 worth of points). Should work out to $20 (upfront) + $240 (when cancelling the tab) + taxes and whatnot.

I'm hoping that by using the points to drop the upfront pricing, there won't be much of a concern with claw back after the cancellation.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)