Black Friday & Cyber Monday Discussion 2017

[The Mobile Shop] Black Friday Round-Up 2017 All Carriers - all provinces except QC

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2018 8:13 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: Which phone will you grab (up to 3)?

• Total votes: 224. You have voted on this poll.
Galaxy S7

23%
Galaxy A5

7%
LG G6

24%
LG Q6

2%
iPhone 6

13%
iPhone SE

8%
Something else (post comment on the thread)

23%
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7296 posts
4774 upvotes
Canada
Gophermofur wrote: Thanks OP! Got an LG G6 with 100K points that were immediately used to discount the small tab upfront fee ($120 - $100 worth of points). Should work out to $20 (upfront) + $240 (when cancelling the tab) + taxes and whatnot.

I'm hoping that by using the points to drop the upfront pricing, there won't be much of a concern with claw back after the cancellation.
the deal is still going today?
Tangerine, Public Mobile, and Freedom Mobile customer
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
5476 posts
1602 upvotes
RFDQ1016 wrote: the deal is still going today?
I doubt it, Koodo prices seem to have gone back to pre-Black Friday price levels
Mar 22, 2004
625 posts
33 upvotes
Ottawa
Ugh, such a n00b. I cancelled after the 1st billing cycle occurred. I just didn't have the time to sit waiting on the line for an hour... now my final bill will be on Dec 28. :( Now I won't know if I'll get the claw back or not. D'oh!
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
12419 posts
9122 upvotes
Leask
cuto wrote: Ugh, such a n00b. I cancelled after the 1st billing cycle occurred. I just didn't have the time to sit waiting on the line for an hour... now my final bill will be on Dec 28. :( Now I won't know if I'll get the claw back or not. D'oh!
Please report back to the thread when you get the final bill :D
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home. Hackers keep changing my location to Leask on weekends.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Mar 22, 2004
625 posts
33 upvotes
Ottawa
titaniumtux wrote: Please report back to the thread when you get the final bill :D
There was no mention of any clawback from the Koodo Cancellation dept representative. Is that usually a good sign? Gawd... I hope I can return later. What's weird is they say my billing cycle is over but I haven't received the bill yet. I hope somehow it'll come with the bill targeted for now.

Also, she told me the amount that would be charged, which is $720 + tax (2x medium tab).
Mar 22, 2004
625 posts
33 upvotes
Ottawa
Hm, so in the agreement, it doesn't state the 90 day clause that requires you to pay back the gifts. So...am I not in the clear?
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2009
1448 posts
284 upvotes
Renous
cuto wrote: Hm, so in the agreement, it doesn't state the 90 day clause that requires you to pay back the gifts. So...am I not in the clear?
Sounds like you're good if that clause has been removed from the contract. Another thread in RFD had said something about that tactic stopping around Aug of this year.. but I don't know the reference. Maybe CRTC or (CCRS <-- is that the right acronym?) stepped in and put an end to that.
Reserved for future time travellers
Mar 22, 2004
625 posts
33 upvotes
Ottawa
patpond wrote: Sounds like you're good if that clause has been removed from the contract. Another thread in RFD had said something about that tactic stopping around Aug of this year.. but I don't know the reference. Maybe CRTC or (CCRS <-- is that the right acronym?) stepped in and put an end to that.
Maybe. I think I too saw it from the Koodo help community by a similarly named RFDer ;)
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
19504 posts
574 upvotes
Shanghai, China
Sorry for bumping this old thread. I got my final bill from Koodo and I was charged BC tax despite having a AB number. My final bill is $563. What should I do?
Nov 14, 2003
319 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote: Sorry for bumping this old thread. I got my final bill from Koodo and I was charged BC tax despite having a AB number. My final bill is $563. What should I do?
They must be charging tax based on your billing address, so unless you changed that at the same time you changed your number...
You got a good deal on the phone, and your province gets the taxes they are 'entitled' to. Pay it.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
19504 posts
574 upvotes
Shanghai, China
Cnsultnt wrote: They must be charging tax based on your billing address, so unless you changed that at the same time you changed your number...
You got a good deal on the phone, and your province gets the taxes they are 'entitled' to. Pay it.
I thought tax is base on the number rather than the address?
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
12419 posts
9122 upvotes
Leask
Sgt_Strider wrote: I thought tax is base on the number rather than the address?
It is...very strange. Did you call in to cancel or port out? Did you post-date the cancellation request? I always call ahead of time to give my cancellation dates and only pay AB tax.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home. Hackers keep changing my location to Leask on weekends.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
19504 posts
574 upvotes
Shanghai, China
titaniumtux wrote: It is...very strange. Did you call in to cancel or port out? Did you post-date the cancellation request? I always call ahead of time to give my cancellation dates and only pay AB tax.
I called in to cancel on that date. I didn’t even know I can post-date the cancellation. Why should I do that? Won’t I have to pay for those extra days?
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
12419 posts
9122 upvotes
Leask
Sgt_Strider wrote: I called in to cancel on that date. I didn’t even know I can post-date the cancellation. Why should I do that? Won’t I have to pay for those extra days?
Of course. I always cancel on day 91, so I call in 2 months into the 3 month haul.

If you cancel same day, the agent can apply the tab buy-out on the cancellation request and charge tax on billing address.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
19504 posts
574 upvotes
Shanghai, China
titaniumtux wrote: Of course. I always cancel on day 91, so I call in 2 months into the 3 month haul.

If you cancel same day, the agent can apply the tab buy-out on the cancellation request and charge tax on billing address.
So I have no way to dispute this? If I do it your way, then I pay for three months of service. Why should I do that?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)