Expired Hot Deals

The Mobile Shop Boxing Day

Iphone 12/12 Mini Boxing Week Sale

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2022 2:01 pm
Aug 19, 2021
41 posts
23 upvotes
Is there any phone that's makes sense buying and then cancelling the contract. As in, iphone mini let's say maybe priced at $1k and we get $400 as points/Cashback and cancel the contract so the phone costs me 600 now. Are there any phones that would be better purchased this way than the market directly from bestbuy or Samsung/ google directly.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2002
3448 posts
869 upvotes
Thatdealguy wrote: do you know if we can do self referral on the same account?
Never tried. But if they are separate fido account #s and different enough names/emails then it should pass.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2013
1285 posts
627 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ukshak wrote: Is there any phone that's makes sense buying and then cancelling the contract. As in, iphone mini let's say maybe priced at $1k and we get $400 as points/Cashback and cancel the contract so the phone costs me 600 now. Are there any phones that would be better purchased this way than the market directly from bestbuy or Samsung/ google directly.
If you’re trying to sell phones for profit, almost all
of them are price so high (retail value) that it almost doesn’t make any sense to flip.

Yes you will keep gift cards, but at the end of the day the savings will be almost non existent.

Here’s my post for iPhone 12 mini and how much it can be had if canceled the next day. You can sort of do the math for other phones by changing gift card amounts.
Varian wrote: iPhone 12 mini 64GB at Apple: $799+GST=$902.87 in Ontario.
iPhone 12 mini 64GB at Fido:

$898 full price + $50 connection fee + 1 day oof usage $1.5 + GST 13% = ~$1073
$1073 - $450 gift card = $622.93

$902.87 - $622.93 = $279.94 is your savings
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
18657 posts
5442 upvotes
Scarberia
rivet wrote: I don’t have them but from reviews, I definitely think it is worth $200 more, but If you resell 12 max to buy 13 max, you may need more than $200 unless you get really good deal on 13. I end up giving my new 12 to my daughter, who definitely does not need such an expensive phone, I bought a 11 pro max second hand and I just like the max line way more than 12, but from the experience, the past couple of years I can never get a good phone deal on the max line from freedom mobile. I will wait 13 pro max come down to price then upgrade my 11 max to 13 max or later model
Yup I'm always a fan of the biggest latest model phones.. Hate the stock smaller ones.. Was hoping for iPhone pro ultimate! My last iPhone which i still to this day use for myvegas apps iPhone 8plus! 6yrs ago?wow longtime.. I still have iPhone 4 lol.. Remember buying it for like 600!
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2013
1285 posts
627 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Double post
Last edited by Varian on Dec 31st, 2021 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 17, 2021
25 posts
1 upvote
Varian wrote: I just ported to Fido. If anybody has any questions about it, send be a PM, I’ll answer your questions.
Yesterday I got the iPhone + 15gb Fido plan. Today I have 2 family members who want to try the 12gb BYOD plan. Is there any way I can refer them to get my plan and possibly theirs lower? Is there like a referall system?
Mar 26, 2015
124 posts
13 upvotes
North York, ON
Varian wrote: If you’re trying to sell phones for profit, almost all
of them are price so high (retail value) that it almost doesn’t make any sense to flip.

Yes you will keep gift cards, but at the end of the day the savings will be almost non existent.

Here’s my post for iPhone 12 mini and how much it can be had if canceled the next day. You can sort of do the math for other phones by changing gift card amounts.
Why is the price you quoted the following
iPhone 12 mini 64GB at Apple: $799+GST=$902.87 in Ontario.
iPhone 12 mini 64GB at Fido:

$898 full price + $50 connection fee + 1 day oof usage $1.5 + GST 13% = ~$1073
$1073 - $450 gift card = $622.93

$902.87 - $622.93 = $279.94 is your savings

rather than this (as in the first post/page of this thread)
"Iphone 12 Mini(64gb): 15 x 24 x 1.13 - 250 - 50 = 106.8 total. It's around 46 down and 2.5 per month in 24 months
Iphone 12 Mini(128gb): 18 x 24 x 1.13 - 250 - 50 = 188.16 total. It's around 56 down and 5.5 per month in 24 months"

Can you not buy the phone but pay off the tab balance of 106.8 ? Can you explain this ?

What happens if you get this plan and then cancel and pay off the tab balance of 106.8 ? I wasn't clear on the rule change that they can somehow take back the phone or charge you for not just the phone tab but the full usage for the full length of the contract ?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2013
1285 posts
627 upvotes
Toronto, ON
semiconductingself wrote: Why is the price you quoted the following
Look. A phone has a retail value at providers. That’s the full amount you have to pay when canceling. At Koodo/Fido, it’s $898.
$360 of that $898 is your tab that you have to pay regardless you cancel or not.
That leaves us with $538. That’s the activation bonus. We don’t pay for it. The providers does. It’s there behind the scenes and gets reduced evenly every month. If we divide the $538 by $24 we get $22.42 per month.
The provider reduces it evenly by $22.42 each month. It’s prorated meaning that if we stay for example for 12 months out of 24, we only pay half of that $538 activation bonus (on top of that $15 tab of course). If we stay for full 24 months, we don’t pay it at all. We only pay for tab.
Like I said above, it’s behind the scenes and if we are staying for full 24 months, we don’t even know it exists.
semiconductingself wrote:
Can you not buy the phone but pay off the tab balance of 106.8 ? Can you explain this ?
Yes you pay of the tab. But you also pay $538 activation bonus mentioned above if you leave the next day.
semiconductingself wrote:
What happens if you get this plan and then cancel and pay off the tab balance of 106.8 ? I wasn't clear on the rule change that they can somehow take back the phone or charge you for not just the phone tab but the full usage for the full length of the contract ?
They can’t take the phone back. It’s yours. They just charge for the full amount of tab which is $360 for iPhone 12 mini and $538 activation bonus (prorated)

Before, august of 2019 you just had to pay the tab. The providers took the hit for the remaining activation bonus. So people cancelled the next day and only paid tab with those gift cards and got pretty much a new phone for almost free. Obviously this didn’t go well with providers who were planning to milk you for 24 months.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7356 posts
464 upvotes
York
Varian wrote: Look. A phone has a retail value at providers. That’s the full amount you have to pay when canceling. At Koodo/Fido, it’s $898.
$360 of that $898 is your tab that you have to pay regardless you cancel or not.
That leaves us with $538. That’s the activation bonus. We don’t pay for it. The providers does. It’s there behind the scenes and gets reduced evenly every month. If we divide the $538 by $24 we get $22.42 per month.
The provider reduces it evenly by $22.42 each month. It’s prorated meaning that if we stay for example for 12 months out of 24, we only pay half of that $538 activation bonus (on top of that $15 tab of course). If we stay for full 24 months, we don’t pay it at all. We only pay for tab.
Like I said above, it’s behind the scenes and if we are staying for full 24 months, we don’t even know it exists.

Yes you pay of the tab. But you also pay $538 activation bonus mentioned above if you leave the next day.

They can’t take the phone back. It’s yours. They just charge for the full amount of tab which is $360 for iPhone 12 mini and $538 activation bonus (prorated)

Before, august of 2019 you just had to pay the tab. The providers took the hit for the remaining activation bonus. So people cancelled the next day and only paid tab with those gift cards and got pretty much a new phone for almost free. Obviously this didn’t go well with providers who were planning to milk you for 24 months.
MVP post
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2014
2318 posts
901 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Varian wrote:
This loophole only existed in Koodoo.
Other providers required you to pay (the full amount - what you have paid) if you cancelled the plan earlier, even before Aug 2019.
Sep 2, 2018
57 posts
61 upvotes
Can someone please let me know what is involved with changing your deal after you've switched to another carrier? Would they just give you back your old plan and reinstate things as they were?
Mar 26, 2015
124 posts
13 upvotes
North York, ON
Varian wrote: Look. A phone has a retail value at providers. That’s the full amount you have to pay when canceling. At Koodo/Fido, it’s $898.

Thanks. So if you leave anytime before the full 24 months you get charged the activation bonus ? That's too bad. I really don't need a plan.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2013
1285 posts
627 upvotes
Toronto, ON
semiconductingself wrote: Thanks. So if you leave anytime before the full 24 months you get charged the activation bonus ? That's too bad. I really don't need a plan.
Yes you get charged the activation bonus, but like I said it’s prorated. So if you want to leave after 15 months for example, you only pay remainder of the activation bonus (on top of the tab bonus).

It is unfortunate but providers are there to make money too :)
If they didn’t have activation bonus, people would just sign up and cancel the next day (which is exactly what people did before loophole was closed)
Oct 20, 2010
775 posts
1061 upvotes
Toronto
Apologies for reviving a 'dead' thread.

Just wanted to provide an update to those who may have ordered an iphone from TMS Richmond Hill (High Tech). The fedex tracking says that the package will arrive today before 5PM. You will get a call either tomorrow or the next day to pick up your phone.