Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Wow Mobile

Samsung Galaxy S8 - $0 - Koodo - Wow Mobile + $100 Prepaid Gift-Card

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2018 3:37 pm
Aug 30, 2012
999 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto

Samsung Galaxy S8 - $0 - Koodo - Wow Mobile + $100 Prepaid Gift-Card

Deal Link:
Price:
$0
Retailer:
Wow Mobile
Wow Mobile also has a trade-in program - https://www.wowmobile.ca/en/trade-in/ (usually $50 for any phone, e.g. old flip-phone you may have).

https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/samsung-galaxy-s8 - Phone is $0 at Wow Mobile on Large Tab - $21 tab x 24 months = $504
Last edited by darkknight74 on Mar 17th, 2018 7:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
Thread Summary
Note: referral soliciting in thread is against forum rules.

For steps on self-referring or referring on multi-line, see this thread.
183 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
I'm assuming that's on tab large? I notice that wow has a bonus $100 prepaid visa card too though.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20470 upvotes
wearysky wrote: I'm assuming that's on tab large? I notice that wow has a bonus $100 prepaid visa card too though.
It just dawned on me, the Public Mobile migration plan is not the most ideal for phone churning. It would actually be worthwhile to have the Manitoba $44 for 5 gig plan with large tab eligibility. Pay 10% more per month but have access to all hardware without having to jump through flaming hoops. Of course it doesn't compare to new activation.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3676 posts
403 upvotes
Sorry how does this work?

Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
Electricute wrote: Sorry how does this work?

Dec 20, 2015
851 posts
689 upvotes
will888 wrote: It just dawned on me, the Public Mobile migration plan is not the most ideal for phone churning. It would actually be worthwhile to have the Manitoba $44 for 5 gig plan with large tab eligibility. Pay 10% more per month but have access to all hardware without having to jump through flaming hoops. Of course it doesn't compare to new activation.
In the S8 case, the Medium tab is $44 cheaper.
(Large: $604, Medium: $560)
Oct 22, 2006
688 posts
305 upvotes
will888 wrote: It just dawned on me, the Public Mobile migration plan is not the most ideal for phone churning. It would actually be worthwhile to have the Manitoba $44 for 5 gig plan with large tab eligibility. Pay 10% more per month but have access to all hardware without having to jump through flaming hoops. Of course it doesn't compare to new activation.
The MB Loops hole is closed as far as i know. Everyone always took the $48 5GB and not the $44 5GB not sure why ?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20470 upvotes
warhawk wrote: The MB Loops hole is closed as far as i know. Everyone always took the $48 5GB and not the $44 5GB not sure why ?
The $44 5GB is the current offering for Manitoba. Interestingly, it is still $48 for Saskatchewan. I recall both were the same price.
Oct 22, 2006
688 posts
305 upvotes
will888 wrote: The $44 5GB is the current offering for Manitoba. Interestingly, it is still $48 for Saskatchewan. I recall both were the same price.
Think its been for a while, but any hows i guess you can't get them anymore anyways unless you are local.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20470 upvotes
warhawk wrote: Think its been for a while, but any hows i guess you can't get them anymore anyways unless you are local.
I have never researched it. I wonder if I can go to a Koodo store in Manitoba and add it to my account with an Ontario address. Of course I would get a Manitoba area code number to go with it. My Rogers account allows this. I have two wireless home phone plans with two phone numbers from different provinces. It really is so sad that we are still having to pay long distance charges calling within the same country when the internet has no such equivalent terminology Even crossing oceans. If there was no long distance charges why would anyone care what area code they get in a number.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
will888 wrote: I have never researched it. I wonder if I can go to a Koodo store in Manitoba and add it to my account with an Ontario address. Of course I would get a Manitoba area code number to go with it. My Rogers account allows this. I have two wireless home phone plans with two phone numbers from different provinces. It really is so sad that we are still having to pay long distance charges calling within the same country when the internet has no such equivalent terminology Even crossing oceans. If there was no long distance charges why would anyone care what area code they get in a number.
They've cracked down pretty hard on the Manitoba plan. Can't do it online at all, if you're actually in Manitoba at some point I'm guessing they'd still require that you provide Manitoba ID (same as if you try to get a QC plan while in Quebec)
Jun 29, 2017
437 posts
1470 upvotes
Historically, The Mobile Shop hasn't done (or price matched) trade-in credits for koodo. They do provide trade in credits for most other providers.
Jun 29, 2017
437 posts
1470 upvotes
Electricute wrote: Sorry how does this work?

This was the process back in December 2017.

Pricing summary:
Tab price (e.g $504 on large) + few days of service + $15 sim card = ~$530 × tax rate of province - bonus ($100).
You also get a $50 trade in credit towards accessories. In most cases this can be used to purchase the $15 sim card.
Wow Ontario example: $504 + $7.50 + $15 = $526.5 x 1.13 = 594.95 - $100 - $15 (trade-in for sim) = $479.95 taxes in. Plus you have $35 left of trade-in credit.
Mobile Shop Ontario example: $504 + $7.50 + $15 = $526.5 x 1.13 = 594.95 - $150 (pc points) = $444.95 taxes in. Has anyone done this at Mobile shop?

1. Find an old phone for trade in credit ($50). (Wow mobile only?) Phone does not have to be functional. Credit can be used against phone balance (i.e. the upfront phone cost, but with a good deal there is none for S8) and to buy required SIM card and some accessories like a case. Some report being able to use it to lower their tab. YMMV ‎

2. If you plan on staying with koodo, then find a friend for a referral. They need to enter your email and/or phone # which will send you a link where you need to enter their info. if you stay for somewhere b/w 15 days to 3 months, you'll both get a $25 (or whatever) credit.‎

3. Find a wow mobile spot that still has your phone in stock with koodo and go there. ‎

4. Sign up for the deal on tab large. There are some diff options, which vary in price by province. Pick cheapest (~$74 as of 2017).‎ No credit check if you have an existing koodo line. There should be a hard credit check if you're a new customer. YMMV? Respecting other deal-seekers, use a real sounding story and not something like "I'm going to resell them on kijiji". Consider being honest and offer to stay however many months they need to get commission via seasonal hold.

The cancellation terms should not mention the activation bonus or prorated charges. "You can cancel your service at any time. If you cancel your service before paying your tab, or if koodo terminates the agreement in accordance with the service terms, any tab balance becomes immediately due and payable. All other charges owing to koodo for use of the service will remain due upon termination of this agreement."

5. To decrease the tax to 5%, change the phone number to an alberta one. Switch the location of the self-serve page to AB. "select the option to "port in an existing number". ‎
Update: You need to call Koodo. Otherwise, there is a trick where you log into self-serve, then go to Mobile Services > Track Repair. This will take you to the old Koodo site which allows you to change your number to any province.
You could try this at sign up, but may have issues verifying yourself. YMMV. You may need to wait 24 hours to change. YMMV. You shouldnt have to set your mailing address to an AB one.
https://secure.koodomobile.com/sso/UI/L ... Change.do‎
https://www.koodomobile.com/help/changi ... ne-number‎

6a. Option: cancel.‎
Call koodo a few hours later and ask to cancel plan. Make sure you ask to "cancel" and not to "pay off tab". Someone said it was 1.5 hours to get through by phone on dec 23rd. Lots of people reporting that there is no clawback on the gift card. Make sure in the phone conversation they confirm the total amount due. Some reports of CSRs trying to get people to repay an extra $500+ activation bonus.  Respecting other deal-seekers, try to use a real-sounding story instead of just "I'm just screwing you". ‎

6b. Option: Port to another carrier.‎
Bell, Fido or Virgin prepaid, free to $10 for a SIM and no top up needed to get a plan rolling. Free at apple store. YMMV. Bell sim on ebay for $1-3. Virgin reported at $10. "Porting to Bell prepaid does not require to top up. You can choose to manually top later after port.. but you don't."
With the new provider, just do a port of the number and it will automatically cancel with koodo. 

6c. Option: Wait 3 months and cancel. With seasonal hold.
This gets the rep their commission. They'll be more apt to work with you again. You can switch to a seasonal hold with koodo for the 3 months (~$15/month?). If you had a $25 referral, then that covers half the service cost.
https://www.koodomobile.com/help/keepin ... travelling

7. Wait for bill to arrive and then pay it off when it arrives. Koodo does paperless billing. Reportedly takes about a month for bill to arrive. Will show in your self-serve after bill is issued if you cancelled. CSR said for an account cancelled on dec 26th, the bill will be issued on dec 31st. You will see nothing in your self serve account until that bill is issued. Those who port their account report that their info remains in their self serve account for a year or more. ‎

8. Accessories.
If you're getting a case and also want a screen protector, then tempered glass that is flat (not rounded) has been recommended.

Price matching:
A. The mobile shop. Will usually price match. YMMV. [edit] They do provide trade-in credits with koodo.
B. Wal-mart. Will sometimes price match with wal-mart gift card. YMMV. Not sure about trade in with them.
C. Best buy. Will sometimes price match with bestbuy gift card. YMMV. Not sure about trade ins. ‎‎
Last edited by robfun on Mar 17th, 2018 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dec 6, 2014
49 posts
20 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Is this the best timing to get the S8 you guys think?

I'm thinking of doing the above post's instructions.

So buy it from Best Buy for 0$ upfront, then cancel and pay off the remaining tab balance of $504 + tax?

So you get the S8 outright for essentially $569???
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
9103 posts
4569 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
Yeah but that trick doesn't work on MB anymore, only QC?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
9103 posts
4569 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
warhawk wrote: The MB Loops hole is closed as far as i know. Everyone always took the $48 5GB and not the $44 5GB not sure why ?
Because back then the $44/5GB didn't exist. It was $48/5GB for both large and medium.
Sep 26, 2015
35 posts
15 upvotes
Mississauga
robfun wrote: This was the process back in December 2017.

1. Find an old phone for trade in credit ($50). (Wow mobile only?) Phone does not have to be functional. Credit can be used against phone balance (i.e. the upfront phone cost, but with a good deal there is none for S8) and to buy required SIM card and some accessories like a case. Some report being able to use it to lower their tab. YMMV ‎

2. If you plan on staying with koodo, then find a friend for a referral. They need to enter your email and/or phone # which will send you a link where you need to enter their info. if you stay for somewhere b/w 15 days to 3 months, you'll both get a $25 (or whatever) credit.‎

3. Find a wow mobile spot that still has your phone in stock with koodo and go there. ‎

4. Sign up for the deal on tab large. There are some diff options, which vary in price by province. Pick cheapest (~$74 as of 2017).‎ No credit check if you have an existing koodo line. There should be a hard credit check if you're a new customer. YMMV? Respecting other deal-seekers, use a real sounding story and not something like "I'm going to resell them on kijiji". Consider being honest and offer to stay however many months they need to get commission via seasonal hold.

The cancellation terms should not mention the activation bonus or prorated charges. "You can cancel your service at any time. If you cancel your service before paying your tab, or if koodo terminates the agreement in accordance with the service terms, any tab balance becomes immediately due and payable. All other charges owing to koodo for use of the service will remain due upon termination of this agreement."

5. To decrease the tax to 5%, change the phone number to an alberta one. Switch the location of the self-serve page to AB. "select the option to "port in an existing number". ‎
Update: You need to call Koodo. Otherwise, there is a trick where you log into self-serve, then go to Mobile Services > Track Repair. This will take you to the old Koodo site which allows you to change your number to any province.
You could try this at sign up, but may have issues verifying yourself. YMMV. You may need to wait 24 hours to change. YMMV. You shouldnt have to set your mailing address to an AB one.
https://secure.koodomobile.com/sso/UI/L ... Change.do‎
https://www.koodomobile.com/help/changi ... ne-number‎

6a. Option: cancel.‎
Call koodo a few hours later and ask to cancel plan. Make sure you ask to "cancel" and not to "pay off tab". Someone said it was 1.5 hours to get through by phone on dec 23rd. Lots of people reporting that there is no clawback on the gift card. Make sure in the phone conversation they confirm the total amount due. Some reports of CSRs trying to get people to repay an extra $500+ activation bonus.  Respecting other deal-seekers, try to use a real-sounding story instead of just "I'm just screwing you". ‎

6b. Option: Port to another carrier.‎
Bell, Fido or Virgin prepaid, free to $10 for a SIM and no top up needed to get a plan rolling. Free at apple store. YMMV. Bell sim on ebay for $1-3. Virgin reported at $10. "Porting to Bell prepaid does not require to top up. You can choose to manually top later after port.. but you don't."
With the new provider, just do a port of the number and it will automatically cancel with koodo. 

6c. Option: Wait 3 months and cancel. With seasonal hold.
This gets the rep their commission. They'll be more apt to work with you again. You can switch to a seasonal hold with koodo for the 3 months (~$15/month?). If you had a $25 referral, then that covers half the service cost.
https://www.koodomobile.com/help/keepin ... travelling

7. Wait for bill to arrive and then pay it off when it arrives. Koodo does paperless billing. Reportedly takes about a month for bill to arrive. Will show in your self-serve after bill is issued if you cancelled. CSR said for an account cancelled on dec 26th, the bill will be issued on dec 31st. You will see nothing in your self serve account until that bill is issued. Those who port their account report that their info remains in their self serve account for a year or more. ‎

8. Accessories.
If you're getting a case and also want a screen protector, then tempered glass that is flat (not rounded) has been recommended.

Price matching:
A. The mobile shop. Will usually price match. YMMV. But no trade in credit with koodo.‎
B. Wal-mart. Will sometimes price match with wal-mart gift card. YMMV. Not sure about trade in with them.
C. Best buy. Will sometimes price match with bestbuy gift card. YMMV. Not sure about trade ins. ‎‎
Dude, that was a dope ass detailed comment. Thank you for taking the time to write it.
Nov 22, 2006
560 posts
473 upvotes
Trois-Rivières
It's 0$ also with Virgin, anyone know with what plan ? Gold or Platinum ?
Nov 13, 2017
147 posts
194 upvotes
Ontario
Knarfon wrote: It's 0$ also with Virgin, anyone know with what plan ? Gold or Platinum ?
Platinum, with 100K points and $25 accessory credit this weekend. Gold is $200 and silver is $320 - both also have 100K points and the accessory credit as well.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)