Mobilicity now operates on both old HSPA and the new Rogers 3G network

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2015 8:55 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1828 posts
574 upvotes
Rogido wrote: I don't get it. Even if you're not getting Rogers LTE, how can HSPA/HSPA+ be slower on Rogers than on Mobi?
its just 3G on rogers I believe.

mobi had faster HSPA speeds, but the reception for calls would still be *****ty and high ping probably.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1828 posts
574 upvotes
gn22 wrote: So, looking at their "coverage" map, basically 10 people in Ontario get "Unlimited" everyone else is out of luck ? Is that right or am I missing something ?
gn22 wrote: GTA=center of the universe....just ask them.
Population of Ontario ... 13.6mil

Population of the GTA ... 6.1mil

just under 50% of Ontario lives within the gta.... so.... yeah.

and the size of area to cover is much smaller, thus why they localize.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
iglorypeace wrote: It would be possible if the tower was under stress or rogers just throttles the speed. For me, I don't see a difference in speed between old mobi and new rogers. At least at my home I don't see any differences.
850Mhz of Rogers has a lot more wall penetration character than that of Mobilicty (even assuming same speed)
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Nov 13, 2015
4 posts
Toronto, ON
GREAT NEWS!!! Mobilicity will be lowering the $25 plan to $20 and including FREE VOICEMAIL with it. Adding unlimited data for $10 will then cost $30 (instead of $35). This deal will occur on November 16th for anyone interested in joining up with Mobilicity.
Feb 8, 2013
160 posts
78 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
danieltoronto wrote: 850Mhz of Rogers has a lot more wall penetration character than that of Mobilicty (even assuming same speed)
Yes that is true. With mobi I get 13-15 asu at home, and with rogers I get 22-24 asu. A couple of years ago mobi's signal was an issue and the reason I left, but since Sept when I switch back to Mobi, I was quite surprised to see the signal bar is full. Now I just hope I can get lower ping (I get 150+ ping in Vancouver) and keep the price.
Oct 17, 2013
245 posts
55 upvotes
Richmond Hill
must be tragic to be a wind mobile user
Jun 26, 2009
813 posts
387 upvotes
Calgary
jasonadrianjason wrote: Are these plans grandfathered? So if I go for the $ 25 plan + $ 10 - 6 GB Data add on , will it be guaranteed for life, or can they increase the price, whenever they want ?

To the best of my knowledge they can't change the price of the monthly plan after you sign on i.e that will be grandfathered for you. But the $ 10 - 6GB Data Add On they can change the price whenever they want. The Add on packs are not considered to be an inherent part of the plan and can be changed, if the carrier wants with say a 60 day notice.
I haven't read terms of service for other providers, but this new terms and conditions sound like bullying.

coming from here: http://mobilicity.ca/media/files/docume ... ns_2_2.pdf

We may change the agreement, fees, rates or plans from time to time by posting it on our website at http://www.mobilicity.ca/. If you do not agree to the changes, you can contact us to discontinue the Services.

You agree that we may change the Services at any time including changing our coverage areas, changing roaming arrangements, placing restriction on the calling and receipt of certain phone numbers or area codes, suspending, terminating, restricting or setting conditions on the Services, at our sole discretion and without notice to you.

WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO LIMIT, BLOCK, RESTRICT, SUSPEND OR TERMINATE YOUR SERVICES OR ANY PART OF YOUR SERVICES FOR ANY REASON AT ANY TIME.

IF YOUR SERVICES ARE TERMINATED, YOU WILL HAVE FORFEITED ANY REMAINING BALANCE IN YOUR MONTHLY FEES ACCOUNT, MULTI-MONTH FEES ACCOUNT AND YOUR MY WALLET ACCOUNT. IN ADDITION, WE MAY REASSIGN YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER TO SOMEONE ELSE.
Jun 26, 2009
813 posts
387 upvotes
Calgary
I just switched to Rogers 3G network on my OnePlus Two, and even though speeds on speedtest app are almost the same as before, but browsing seems slower.
Aug 5, 2007
304 posts
95 upvotes
Vancouver
I stuck my Mobilicity sim into an iPhone 4 I have kicking around, its from Fido and I get sim invalid. So I guess phones from companies within Rogers still need to be unlocked? That sucks
Deal Guru
Jun 18, 2012
10924 posts
5459 upvotes
Toronto
oh no! who merged the threads and moved it out of hot deals? silly mods... :facepalm: you guys get paid by Rogers don't you?

also OP's thread title is wrong, as Mobi doesn't operate on old HSPA anymore and moved over to only Rogers 3G network now.
bobbytomorow wrote: I stuck my Mobilicity sim into an iPhone 4 I have kicking around, its from Fido and I get sim invalid. So I guess phones from companies within Rogers still need to be unlocked? That sucks
you always need to unlock if switching carriers, even if it uses same towers.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
ManCaveGamer wrote: the big news today is now Mobilicity on the Rogers network! (see here: mobilicity-now-operates-both-old-hspa-n ... k-1852175/) i confirmed it by putting my SIM in my GFs iPhone 4S.

you get the $25/mo for Unlimited Starter + $10/mo Unlimited Data add-on, so it's only $35/mo for Unlimited Calling and Data on Rogers network!

get better reception anywhere now, get faster data speeds, use any phone (!!) ... this is a HOT DEAL!

http://mobilicity.ca/plans/

go get yourself locked in before Mobilicity maybe raises their prices. (i bet they will)
I guess, it's time to port out of Public Mobile!!
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
4308 posts
597 upvotes
Rogido wrote: Rogers 4G cannot be slower than Mobi 4G.
We are not comparing Rogers 4G to Mobi 4G.

It is Rogers 3G.

The coverage is much more dense and reliable.

But, it is slower. I use Google Music regularly within the GTA and never had a problem with Mobilicity when using the premium data addon. Netflix a bit.

I don't need LTE, as long as I can stream those 2 services. I'm sure this move is for the better, but my point is, if you're one who cares about being on a fast network, this is not it, premium addon, or not. It is SLOW.
Nov 10, 2015
87 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto, ON
How about the unlimited zone
Is it still applied?
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
rahalb wrote: It was my understanding that if you get an add-on ($10/month unlimited data), Rogers can change it at anytime, as opposed to getting an actual plan with unlimited data for $45 which will be grandfathered.
Agreed. Add-on prices change all the time. A plan is a plan.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
CatDog wrote: We are not comparing Rogers 4G to Mobi 4G.

It is Rogers 3G.

The coverage is much more dense and reliable.

But, it is slower. I use Google Music regularly within the GTA and never had a problem with Mobilicity when using the premium data addon. Netflix a bit.

I don't need LTE, as long as I can stream those 2 services. I'm sure this move is for the better, but my point is, if you're one who cares about being on a fast network, this is not it, premium addon, or not. It is SLOW.
I used to be on Rogers HSPA (to conserve battery on my Note with my corp line), it was very usable. This seems to be a butchered up version of it for Mobi network. With that being said, how's social networking, fb, web surfing, and spotify?
Feb 8, 2013
160 posts
78 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
ManCaveGamer wrote: OP's thread title is wrong, as Mobi doesn't operate on old HSPA anymore and moved over to only Rogers 3G network now.
No, not yet. Currently both network are active, at least my phone sees both. I need to manually select CDN Roaming to get on Rogers and a reboot goes back to mobilicity.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
4021 posts
2373 upvotes
Ottawa
Rogido wrote: How are you switching back and forth? In the phone settings where you choose to manually search for networks?
Yup, I go in and manually select the network. But my phone is acting up so sometimes it just keeps searching and displays 2 Mobilicity networks.
anzvietboy wrote: What's about Ottawa. Does anyone be able to get the this service in Ottawa

I would love to jump over this right now

Thanks
In Ottawa, been with Mobilicity for about 3 years. I feel the service/reception has been pretty decent even before Rogers. Depends how far out you live...but since it is going to Rogers you might be more coverage.
tabishz wrote: I just switched to Rogers 3G network on my OnePlus Two, and even though speeds on speedtest app are almost the same as before, but browsing seems slower.
I was wondering about this myself..I felt my games that access an online server felt a little slower. But the speedtests def show it can go faster, altho I didn't remember to compare the ping values.
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5680 upvotes
VANCOUVER
bobbytomorow wrote: I stuck my Mobilicity sim into an iPhone 4 I have kicking around, its from Fido and I get sim invalid. So I guess phones from companies within Rogers still need to be unlocked? That sucks
A lot of Fido phones, especially older ones, will not work on Rogers. You'd have a much higher chance with a Rogers phone working with your Mobi sim without unlocking.
Aug 5, 2007
304 posts
95 upvotes
Vancouver
oicthat2013 wrote: I'm Mobilicity user since before Rogers took it over. Do I really need to get another cellphone or can I keep using my AWS phone? It's a Samsung T989
That phone is quad band so it will operate on any network in North America, you are good to go