• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2015 8:55 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8434 posts
2375 upvotes
Mississauga
How much data comes with the $25 plan? Also, does this mean calls now work without roaming wherever Rogers has coverage?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5252 posts
4411 upvotes
Toronto
Avenger wrote: How much data comes with the $25 plan? Also, does this mean calls now work without roaming wherever Rogers has coverage?
There is no data on the $25 plan, it's just unlimited voice/text.
Oct 28, 2013
59 posts
10 upvotes
Okay so I live in the West End.

I'm currently paying $39.55 for Unlimited Talk+Text+Data. But I also have the Premium Data Add-On (up to 20GB)

I just did a speed test and this is what I got.

Deal Guru
Jun 18, 2012
10056 posts
4764 upvotes
Toronto
dbreaka wrote: What evidence lead you to believe that you were now connecting to a Rogers tower? Did the device show Rogers at the top left instead of CDN Roaming?
i do not have any wallet credit in my mobi account (zero money) but could make call and surf. i also tested it in my buddys note 2, which he got for like $150 second hand, that for sure is not compatible with Wind.

in fact, i got rid of my zenfone 2 and bought another cheap iphone 4s today off kijiji to use as my main phone now. going to FaceTime with my GF a lot. heres a pic as proof:

Oct 17, 2013
245 posts
55 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ManCaveGamer wrote: i do not have any wallet credit in my mobi account (zero money) but could make call and surf. i also tested it in my buddys note 2, which he got for like $150 second hand, that for sure is not compatible with Wind.

in fact, i got rid of my zenfone 2 and bought another cheap iphone 4s today off kijiji to use as my main phone now. going to FaceTime with my GF a lot. heres a pic as proof:
That's a great idea, thanks for this post

Does a Rogers branded iPhone need to be unlocked to accept a Mobilicity sim card now?
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2014
1015 posts
227 upvotes
Unionville, ON
I was excited because I thought this was available anywhere on Rogers' network, but it's actually just in the GTA, anywhere north of Richmond Hill and you have to pay 14 cents per minute for calls. At least Wind has coverage all the way to Waterloo and Barrie. This is a cold deal, unless you never leave Toronto/Ottawa/Calgary/Edmonton/Vancouver.
Pentium 1 166 Mhz | 32 Mb Edo Ram | Seagate 1.4 Gb Ide Hard disk | 3dFX Voodoo1 Pci Video Card | 250W PSU | SoundBlaster Pro sound card | 14" SVGA Monitor
Aug 16, 2006
441 posts
121 upvotes
iOS users should be able to confirm if they're on a Rogers tower or Mobilicity tower via field test mode.

Mobilicity Field Test Mode Stats (3G AWS 1700Mhz):
Downlink Frequency: 1900 - 1999
Uplink Frequency: 1700-1799
Example: Image

Rogers Field Test Mode Stats (3G 1900Mhz):
Downlink Frequency: 9662-9938
Uplink Frequency: 9262-9538
Example: Image
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2014
1571 posts
243 upvotes
Hamilton
I'm with wind at the moment and is it worth switching? I pay 39/month + tax and get everything unlimited.

Will mobilicity work in the Hamilton/Niagara region or is this considered long distance?

With 45$/month on Rogers network is not bad. I live in mississauaga and travel to Niagara over the weekends.
Deal Guru
Jun 18, 2012
10056 posts
4764 upvotes
Toronto
^ I just confirmed in field test mode (*3001#12345#*) and i have the same screen (Rogers) as you, with 9685 downlink and 9285 uplink. but for some reason i am not getting data for now with this new one that i got... "Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding."
Deal Fanatic
Sep 26, 2006
5272 posts
633 upvotes
Toronto
tester85 wrote: I'm with wind at the moment and is it worth switching? I pay 39/month + tax and get everything unlimited.

Will mobilicity work in the Hamilton/Niagara region or is this considered long distance?

With 45$/month on Rogers network is not bad. I live in mississauaga and travel to Niagara over the weekends.
http://mobilicity.ca/coverage-map/
Deal Fanatic
Feb 13, 2003
5126 posts
5966 upvotes
Only iPhone 4S works?
get what is cheap, not what you need :lol:
Deal Guru
Jun 18, 2012
10056 posts
4764 upvotes
Toronto
BB88 wrote: Only iPhone 4S works?
no, any unlocked phone should work now... just iPhone 4's are CHEAP now, prolly bcuz everyone upgraded to iPhone 6S which is crazy powerful.
Oct 10, 2012
23 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver - After reading the RFD thread about a month ago I switched from a Koodoo account with 100Mb data for around $40 to the Mobilicity unlimited $45 plan with US long distance. I believe this means I'm running on the 3G network now with Rogers, not the fancy one. I decided on the unlimited plan for both the US calling as well as the hope that Rogers would be less likely to mess with a 'plan' vs. 'addons'.

I'm in New Westminster today, on top of the hill near Queens park, so kind of suburban and remote. Nexus 4 unmodded. Results in 4 runs on the oomla speed test app with two bars receive power:

Download Upload Ping
2.47 1.05 159
2.47 0.79 143
1.92 0.44 139
2.21 0.58 139

Phone reception has been good so far. Had one missed call without the phone ringing. Voice sounds good to me. There have been a few times when I get an exclamation mark next to the receive power bars, which usually means I can't connect to data but can still call and text. Happened four days ago downtown near Seymore and Pender, which was odd. Occasionally happens on the skytrain when you go east of vancouver into burnaby.

The 6G of unlimited data is more than I need, since I rarely do anything video related on the phone, but overall I'm ok with the service and price I"m paying. It's particularly handy being able to call family in the US. If offered a 1Gb or 2Gb plan I thought offered better coverage and US calling for $40 or less I'd be tempted, or maybe $35 without US calling.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6588 posts
2725 upvotes
Canuckland
Did they separate the networks? Meaning only 3g?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5886 posts
3559 upvotes
Toronto
ManCaveGamer wrote: the big news today is now Mobilicity on the Rogers network! (see here: mobilicity-now-operates-both-old-hspa-n ... k-1852175/) i confirmed it by putting my SIM in my GFs iPhone 4S.

you get the $25/mo for Unlimited Starter + $10/mo Unlimited Data add-on, so it's only $35/mo for Unlimited Calling and Data on Rogers network!

get better reception anywhere now, get faster data speeds, use any phone (!!) ... this is a HOT DEAL!

http://mobilicity.ca/plans/

go get yourself locked in before Mobilicity maybe raises their prices. (i bet they will)
That thread was originally in hot deals but was moved to the cellphone forum, wonder why this hasn't been moved yet.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Guru
Jun 18, 2012
10056 posts
4764 upvotes
Toronto
lillebusy wrote: Vancouver - After reading the RFD thread about a month ago I switched from a Koodoo account with 100Mb data for around $40 to the Mobilicity unlimited $45 plan with US long distance. I believe this means I'm running on the 3G network now with Rogers, not the fancy one. I decided on the unlimited plan for both the US calling as well as the hope that Rogers would be less likely to mess with a 'plan' vs. 'addons'.

I'm in New Westminster today, on top of the hill near Queens park, so kind of suburban and remote. Nexus 4 unmodded. Results in 4 runs on the oomla speed test app with two bars receive power:

Download Upload Ping
2.47 1.05 159
2.47 0.79 143
1.92 0.44 139
2.21 0.58 139

Phone reception has been good so far. Had one missed call without the phone ringing. Voice sounds good to me. There have been a few times when I get an exclamation mark next to the receive power bars, which usually means I can't connect to data but can still call and text. Happened four days ago downtown near Seymore and Pender, which was odd. Occasionally happens on the skytrain when you go east of vancouver into burnaby.

The 6G of unlimited data is more than I need, since I rarely do anything video related on the phone, but overall I'm ok with the service and price I"m paying. It's particularly handy being able to call family in the US. If offered a 1Gb or 2Gb plan I thought offered better coverage and US calling for $40 or less I'd be tempted, or maybe $35 without US calling.
yeah, for $45/mo there is no other similar deal out there at a reasonable price from the big 3 that has Unlimited U.S. Long Distance, which is very useful if you call the states a lot for business/family/etc.
BeaverLiquor wrote: That thread was originally in hot deals but was moved to the cellphone forum, wonder why this hasn't been moved yet.
bcuz this is really a hot deal imo...
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11789 posts
2742 upvotes
Toronto
bobbytomorow wrote: So does this mean no more AWS for mobilicity, that existing customers with a mobi sim are now on different bands?

Also is Rogers WCDMA or GSM?
My data swtiched to from 4G sign yesterday evening (actually the speed was 3G as we know) to a 2G sign...on my AWS band only phone.

Now I am getting 2G (EDGE/GPRS) speeds for data...so I swithed on my Wi Fi for my phone when home. :(

The phone calls and text messaging are not affected by the cell tower switch to GSM.
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28107 posts
13704 upvotes
Rogido wrote: Once you've tasted LTE, you can't go back to those speeds. Even updating apps takes forever and a day!
I disagree. While LTE is nice, it's not necessary. I regularly go between LTE and HSPA (not even +).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5886 posts
3559 upvotes
Toronto
ManCaveGamer wrote: ....

bcuz this is really a hot deal imo...
Then the mods should move the other thread back here and merge everything since the other thread was created first.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A