• May 26th, 2020 4:58 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 16, 2004
746 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto

MOBO WIFI VS PCI WIFI VS USB WIFI??

Building my son a gaming computer and wondering what I should do regarding wifi? Is it best to buy a motherboard that has it built in or get a PCI card wifi adapter or USB adapter? Last motherboard I bought was the Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro wifi and at the time it was cheaper to get a mobo with it built in than buying a separate PCI card. I don’t imagine USB is the best solution. Thoughts?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1825 posts
912 upvotes
GTA
dishguy1977 wrote: Building my son a gaming computer and wondering what I should do regarding wifi? Is it best to buy a motherboard that has it built in or get a PCI card wifi adapter or USB adapter? Last motherboard I bought was the Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro wifi and at the time it was cheaper to get a mobo with it built in than buying a separate PCI card. I don’t imagine USB is the best solution. Thoughts?
USB is the worst solution to go to. Range is poor, overheats and speeds are sub-par for wifi performance. Either get a motherboard that has wireless ac already on the board (they usually give a bluetooth 4.2 or 5.0 combo now) or get an aftermarket pci-e card. Either option is good. Skip USB completely.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15471 posts
2146 upvotes
dishguy1977 wrote: Building my son a gaming computer and wondering what I should do regarding wifi? Is it best to buy a motherboard that has it built in or get a PCI card wifi adapter or USB adapter? Last motherboard I bought was the Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro wifi and at the time it was cheaper to get a mobo with it built in than buying a separate PCI card. I don’t imagine USB is the best solution. Thoughts?
Motherboard WiFi can't be upgraded. So unless it has WiFi 6, you might be buying a new card anyway one day.
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
31805 posts
5878 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Get one with onboard WiFi, by the time you need something better, it would be time to upgrade

If you want a PCIe WiFi, I have a brand new one I can sell you cheap.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12235 posts
1784 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Yeah, skip the USB option.

Between the other two, go with the cheaper option that works for you. Not being able to upgrade onboard WiFi isn't entirely accurate, since you can always disable the onboard and add a PCIe card (assuming you've got an available slot).
Jun 9, 2012
305 posts
213 upvotes
Vancouver
USB is bad indeed. The only exception I would say is if you could get a usb dock or usb extender so that it has more room to obtain the radio frequency.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3324 posts
772 upvotes
some newer motherboard uses a small M.2 slot for its wifi card, could be hidden within a shell of some sort but beneath it, it's a m2 wifi card.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4990 posts
1696 upvotes
Debtario
PCIe is best in terms of upgradability and antenna configuration, though mobo integrated wifi should be okay.

If you value absolute performance, USB should be a last resort option , such as if you have no free pcie slots etc. Depends on your adapter and the drivers, you may not notice much difference in general use, though you can expect shorter range and there will always be th4 added overhead of the usb bus between the card and system.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"