• Dec 16th, 2022 11:09 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 3, 2009
540 posts
42 upvotes

modem stats

Hi all,
I've been having problems with my modem randomly disconnecting. It's a TP-LINK TD-8816.

I would appreciate if anyone could take a look at the stats and tell me if they see anything. Pretty sure I need a new modem, but would be interested what the modem stats show, if anything.

There is nothing in the modem logs, just some ancient stuff.

Down Upstream
SNR Margin 6.0 8.5 db
Line Attenuation 17.7 6.9 db
Data Rate 17835 1087 kbps
Max Rate 18976 1096 kbps
Power 10.3 10.3 dbm
CRC 8153 39

Thanks.
edit: sorry about the formatting, not sure how to fix. It looks ok when I go in to edit. Tabs don't seem to work.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
1401 posts
846 upvotes
Toronto
Assuming that there's nothing wrong with your wiring, you shouldn't be getting CRC errors.
Is this Teksavvy?

Call them and have them do a line test or have them check the line (same thing) and check the graph on the circuit. You shouldn't be getting CRC errors. If they can't solve the issue, make sure that it gets passed up to Bell to solve.

It used to be that you could do a Speedtest and troubleshoot the issue using the Speedtest graph but those days are gone, but, do a Speedtest (speedtest.net) and pay attention to how the speed changes through the test. If the speed cycles up and down or starts fast and drops quickly, there's a problem. Normally, the test should be smooth and either constant or getting faster as the test progresses.

Also, do you notice issues with weather? The problem gets worse when it rains or gets sunny ...
[OP]
Mar 3, 2009
540 posts
42 upvotes
Canuck_TO wrote: Assuming that there's nothing wrong with your wiring, you shouldn't be getting CRC errors.
Is this Teksavvy?

Call them and have them do a line test or have them check the line (same thing) and check the graph on the circuit. You shouldn't be getting CRC errors. If they can't solve the issue, make sure that it gets passed up to Bell to solve.

It used to be that you could do a Speedtest and troubleshoot the issue using the Speedtest graph but those days are gone, but, do a Speedtest (speedtest.net) and pay attention to how the speed changes through the test. If the speed cycles up and down or starts fast and drops quickly, there's a problem. Normally, the test should be smooth and either constant or getting faster as the test progresses.

Also, do you notice issues with weather? The problem gets worse when it rains or gets sunny ...
Very interesting Canuck, thanks.

I had assumed it would be the modem because it must be at least 10-12 years old, sitting on the floor gathering dust.

It is Teksavvy, a DSL line, and I had wondered why today it was dropping more frequently - ice and snow outside maybe had something to do with it.

I did the speedtest, and it held steady the whole way through... tried it twice, and it was steady both times, speed was slightly less than max (15meg).

I'll give Tek a call and suggest the line check.

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
1401 posts
846 upvotes
Toronto
Check your modem. Is it hot or just slightly warm. If it's hot, make sure that it's not clogged with dust or anything that could prevent cooling.

Weather is a common issue with line troubles, whether it's phone or internet related.
If it works fine only when it rains, it's because the water is acting as a conductor. If it works fine when it's sunny out, it's because the lines have dried out and are not being shorted by water ... It's endless.

I had a senior Bell tech test lines with wet rope and they worked perfectly fine. I think the runs were greater than 10'-25' too.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
7214 posts
4884 upvotes
SW ON
If you have a definite correlation with the weather, it's not your modem but the lines outside.
[OP]
Mar 3, 2009
540 posts
42 upvotes
alpovs wrote: If you have a definite correlation with the weather, it's not your modem but the lines outside.
I don't think there's a definite correlation, but I can't discount that it happened more frequently yesterday when we had snow and ice rain.
It seems to randomly happen, sometimes once or twice a day, some days it doesn't happen. I'll watch for weather more closely now.

I checked the modem, and doesn't feel hot, maybe slightly warm. Also vacuumed close to where it sits (in the corner under my desk)!

Anyway, will call Tek and get them to check the line.
Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
7214 posts
4884 upvotes
SW ON
Don't reboot your modem for a while and watch if those CRC errors keep increasing. Maybe do this before you call TekSavvy, so you will have something to report.

Also check if your modem reboots by itself during those disconnects. If this happens there is a chance that its power supply went bad. It probably uses a standard 12 V 1 or 2 A supply. You can use a similar supply from another piece of electronics.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2017
1532 posts
555 upvotes
modem stats look good.
have you looked at the power supply? or cables?
are we there yet?