Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 24, 2013
45 posts
23 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Modem's "Cable Activity" and "PC Link" both blinking

I am currently on Rogers internet and I have noticed that in the past few days my Thompson modem's "Cable Activity" and "PC Link" lights are both constantly blinking even when I do not have any computer or router connected to it.

Have anyone else noticed this issue with their modem?
4 replies
Dec 19, 2011
558 posts
306 upvotes
It's common for some devices to show the port lights blink whenever there is a connection to another device. Some devices will show the light blinking according to activity. Generally, there is no way to know how much activity is on a given port based on the LED blinking.

Using a process of elimination you may be able to identify which device is generating the activity; remove the cable(s) to all computers and/or disable wifi then begin reconnecting devices one at a time to see which appears to generate the activity. Most newer devices are constantly reaching out to the cloud for various services. If you have a device with iOS/Android/Windows/BB, expect constant traffic back to the mothership.

You can also check your router's bandwidth usage on your ISP's website. Most providers have a way for you to see your day by day usage.
[OP]
Dec 24, 2013
45 posts
23 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Thank you for your reply. The issue is that even if I don't have any computer or router connected to the Thompson modem, those two lights are constantly blinking. This is not the normal behavior and I just noticed this problem started to occur in the last few days. I am wondering if Rogers changed something to cause this.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1297 posts
72 upvotes
Hannon
It is normal for the ACTIVITY (cable network) light to blink even though it hasnt done it before. IIRC this can just be the cable network talking to the modem, doing ARP (routing table) refreshes ETC.

There was a thread about this on dslreports.com/start forum (Start communications)

HERE: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r307114 ... ter-outage

EDITED FOR ACCURACY :D

What is the model number?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)