Automotive

Modern youth's first car dream, what is your dream car build?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2021 10:30 am
[OP]
Feb 17, 2004
519 posts
183 upvotes

Modern youth's first car dream, what is your dream car build?

Just thought I'd share my story and get some conversation going.

My son's turning 16 this year and being a "car guy" he's already talking first car. I've started to get him warmed up to the woes of insurance and asked/told that he calls insurance companies before making a decision.

Besides taking over one of my vehicles (which will most likely happen, but none of the fast ones) you want to know what his first car plan is?

Early '90s Foxbody (notchback) Mustang with blown motor/tranny. He wants to pull the drive train and swap in a used/wrecker Tesla motor and batter pack.

Makes the "car guy" in me proud. Of course it'll be a death machine for a 16 year old. But I can see it being a great father/son project. So much so that I've told him, he can drive my truck and save up to build the project over the years until he can finish it and afford insurance.

Opinions?

What is your dream car build?
Images
  • foxbodymustang.jpg
Last edited by v82slo on Apr 22nd, 2021 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
27 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
8806 posts
6855 upvotes
Kitchener
Personal dream car build - 1970 Challenger R/T restomod with a Tesla powertrain...man oh man. NEVER gonna happen but I can dream ;)

Sample pic:

A BETTER project is actually a Delorean DMC-12 with a Tesla powertrain (the engine in the DMC-12 really sucks anyways, so might as well replace it).
Last edited by Rob_EV on Apr 22nd, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1544 posts
1436 upvotes
Beige Corolla with a Hellcat Demon powertrain so that I can spank everyone out there
Last edited by Hindenburg1 on Apr 22nd, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Feb 17, 2004
519 posts
183 upvotes
On a side note Rob_EV, you and I need to have a EV race off one day. Also have a Tesla Model 3P so it should only come down to driver :)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
8806 posts
6855 upvotes
Kitchener
Hindenburg1 wrote: Beige Corolla with a Hellcat Demon powertrain so that I can punish everyone out there
Now THAT would be AMAZING Face With Tears Of Joy
Wish I could give you 2 thumbs up ;)
Last edited by Rob_EV on Apr 22nd, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5546 posts
3059 upvotes
Toronto
If you are in Ontario, 16 yr old dream falls apart once he finds out he can't drive solo until he turns 17/18 and insurance in GTA even for liability only on 20 year old car for 20 yr old G driver is over $5000.

Thought getting licensed and buying insurance was expensive when I was in high school, but no chance for current gen until you are made of money.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
8806 posts
6855 upvotes
Kitchener
v82slo wrote: On a side note Rob_EV, you and I need to have a EV race off one day. Also have a Tesla Model 3P so it should only come down to driver :)
You would COMPLETELY wreck me as I only have the extra slow 4.9 second RWD and you're around 1.8 seconds faster to 100. Plus...we would have to find a track for those shenanigans.
Last edited by Rob_EV on Apr 22nd, 2021 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6745 posts
5508 upvotes
Rob_EV wrote: A BETTER project is actually a Delorean DMC-12 with a Tesla powertrain (the engine in the DMC-12 really sucks anyways, so might as well replace it).
This I can definitely get behind. But I also think this is a don't meet your hero kinda deal.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
8806 posts
6855 upvotes
Kitchener
Hindenburg1 wrote: Beige Corolla with a Hellcat Demon powertrain so that I can spank everyone out there
Not a Corolla, but someone put a Hellcat engine into a Prius Face With Tears Of Joy

Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6745 posts
5508 upvotes
Also after hearing they tried to put Delorean back on market as is for years, looks like the pandemic and Biden admin has force them to change the direction and sounds like they want to bring them back as EVs now:

https://www.newdelorean.com/blog/

But I think their market will be very limited to 80s kids. So they need to pull this off within the next 5-10 years while nostalgia is still strong.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
8090 posts
702 upvotes
Brampton
Doesn't matter the brand but a car having a combo of brown + wagon + manual transmission + RWD/AWD & preferably V6 or V8 gas or diesel.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16677 posts
15032 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Great to see kids that are still into cars these days. All modern cars suck and the foxbody look great!

My kid is still too young to really think about cars. But she does love my 911 :P
[OP]
Feb 17, 2004
519 posts
183 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Great to see kids that are still into cars these days. All modern cars suck and the foxbody look great!

My kid is still too young to really think about cars. But she does love my 911 :P
And that is my point. I keep reading/hearing that ICE (gasoline engine) cars are dead, the future is electric and public transit. I predict we'll see a resurgence of classic cars (even current classics) that will be resurrect as EV converted or the last of the gas powered machines on the road in 2030 and 2040. People that will own these are being born in 2000's.

I believe they are already offering EV conversions for gen1 VW bugs, I won't be surprised seeing the same kits (more power) ending up in classic 911's. In fact many electric crate motors are being offered now and make 200,300,400 and even 550HP, with tons more torque.

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/ev-west ... -projects/

I've got a G1 Acura NSX sitting as a garage queen (my dream car). I've been thinking about a K-series motor swap but in 10 years it'll probably get a electric conversion and the current motor will become a coffee table display.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
11498 posts
14248 upvotes
Vancouver
v82slo wrote: Early '90s Foxbody (notchback) Mustang with blown motor/tranny. He wants to pull the drive train and swap in a used/wrecker Tesla motor and batter pack.
Opinions?
Wow that is quite the ambitious plan. Why stop there; supercharge it with a flux capacitor.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16677 posts
15032 upvotes
Richmond Hill
v82slo wrote: And that is my point. I keep reading/hearing that ICE (gasoline engine) cars are dead, the future is electric and public transit. I predict we'll see a resurgence of classic cars (even current classics) that will be resurrect as EV converted or the last of the gas powered machines on the road in 2030 and 2040. People that will own these are being born in 2000's.

I believe they are already offering EV conversions for gen1 VW bugs, I won't be surprised seeing the same kits (more power) ending up in classic 911's. In fact many electric crate motors are being offered now and make 200,300,400 and even 550HP, with tons more torque.

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/ev-west ... -projects/

I've got a G1 Acura NSX sitting as a garage queen (my dream car). I've been thinking about a K-series motor swap but in 10 years it'll probably get a electric conversion and the current motor will become a coffee table display.
Nice! Love the G1 NSX. Current one is garbage. I too looked into getting a NSX before settling on my 911. If I had the room I would have a NSX as well.
Sep 25, 2018
846 posts
1553 upvotes
peteryorkuca wrote: If you are in Ontario, 16 yr old dream falls apart once he finds out he can't drive solo until he turns 17/18 and insurance in GTA even for liability only on 20 year old car for 20 yr old G driver is over $5000.

Thought getting licensed and buying insurance was expensive when I was in high school, but no chance for current gen until you are made of money.
Won't be as expensive to be put on as secondary driver with the parents being primary.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
2241 posts
730 upvotes
Central Ontario
Gah, possibly the worst generation of Mustang (after the Mustang II debacle) but to each their own. I used to lust after this generation of Mustang too. I came this close to buying a convertible Mustang SVT in the late '90s, opting instead for an F150.

But yeah, father and son project is awesome!

I'd likely opt for an early WRX/STi or Nissan 240SX (or even 300ZX) staying clear away from anything Civic/Jetta since that's what everybody else has.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5546 posts
3059 upvotes
Toronto
AlicW93740 wrote: Won't be as expensive to be put on as secondary driver with the parents being primary.
You tell me if $2000 is not expensive for 18 yr old G2 on occasional on a corolla.
[OP]
Feb 17, 2004
519 posts
183 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Wow that is quite the ambitious plan. Why stop there; supercharge it with a flux capacitor.
I'm not sure it's as tough as it seems. Will have to figure out where to mount the battery pack (or go aftermarket) and then will have hack the firmware and encrypted components. Custom build CPU and then figure if you want to salvage any safety (I.e. traction control) features. Of course the welding and custom fabrication will be easy :(

Nothing that a mechatronics engineer couldn't handle, hope he sticks to that plan Face With Tears Of Joy