• Jun 28th, 2023 11:59 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
mech9t5 wrote: oh really? Amex isn't the only bank in Canada? Omg applesauce!!
I think @rhw123 meant is there are more churning outlets than AmEx. You can earn >$2k/yr in CC rewards even without AmEx.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2012
10045 posts
3758 upvotes
multi city dweller
titaniumtux wrote: I think @rhw123 meant is there are more churning outlets than AmEx. You can earn >$2k/yr in CC rewards even without AmEx.
how do we determininistically pin a dollar value for various reward points?
For cashback reward, its easy ... but for reward pts dollar value may be harder to determine ...
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19736 posts
28624 upvotes
Vancouver
LOL808 wrote: how do we determininistically pin a dollar value for various reward points?
For cashback reward, its easy ... but for reward pts dollar value may be harder to determine ...
Are you talking about earning potential from spending, or value of points you've already earned when cashing them in? If the latter, here's a list: value-one-point-various-programs-2308979/
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2012
10045 posts
3758 upvotes
multi city dweller
Kiraly wrote: Are you talking about earning potential from spending, or value of points you've already earned when cashing them in?
i meant total earned ...
if we start differentiating the various "types" of rewards, then we will need to consider spurious types of promos such as the amex shopsmall or the airmiles STB etc ...

i only look at the point accounts ... never paid attention to their sources ... Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2687 posts
4430 upvotes
BC
Kiraly wrote: This is what I spent most of 2019 and early 2020 doing:

Cobalt -> Paypower -> CTFS -> Mogo

Per $1000:
+$50 Cobalt points
+$10 CT money
+$15 Mogo cash back
–$9.90 PP loading fee
–$1.95 PP bill pay fee

Net: $63.15, or 6.3% on all spend. Net +5.3% on FX. And this wasn't instead of churning, this was all in between hitting MSR on other cards for churning.
RIP Mogo Visa
Not bad! Similar stacking scenarios are still feasible without Mogo.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19736 posts
28624 upvotes
Vancouver
LOL808 wrote: i meant total earned ...
if we start differentiating the various "types" of rewards, then we will need to consider spurious types of promos such as the amex shopsmall or the airmiles STB etc ...
Still not sure what you mean.
Return on spending (spend $1,000 on X card, how much are my rewards points earned worth as a percentage of my spending)
and
Value of one point (I have one Y reward point, what is that worth in dollars)
Are two different things.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2012
3063 posts
4997 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote: I think @rhw123 meant is there are more churning outlets than AmEx. You can earn >$2k/yr in CC rewards even without AmEx.
Is your outlook still this rosy moving forward? I've been hopping on all the 10% CB offers lately and the AMEX offers but it seems the gravy train is coming to a stop with the AMEX nerfs, shutdowns and banks tightening up on credit significantly.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
ozzie16 wrote: Is your outlook still this rosy moving forward? I've been hopping on all the 10% CB offers lately and the AMEX offers but it seems the gravy train is coming to a stop with the AMEX nerfs, shutdowns and banks tightening up on credit significantly.
I'm still doing some "chesterfield MS". I am patiently waiting to cash out on WB's from Manulife and Tangerine. I'm still burning through the plethora of gift cards I got just before TD CT gave me the boot. I started PS'ing RBC. I'm still earning decent rewards on my Cobalt plus CTFS Down-pointing Red Triangle WE combo for domestic spend (just at the end of Cobalt's WB if I'm not mistaken).

My 2020 so far...
  1. not gonna count TD CT because that wouldn't be fair
  2. 55k AP from three cards all FYF
  3. BW 20k pts +$50 GCR
  4. $250 Manulife FYF
  5. $300 Tang
  6. 35k Avion (redeemed for Amazon GC at 0.94cpp); $250 WJD's
  7. 100k PCO pts
  8. 30k MR-select Cobalt. AF offset by GCR & AmEx offers

I already exceeded $2k in CC rewards with nearly half the year remaining. I just PS'd one RBC this month and I'll PS the other next month. I haven't BT'd PCF yet. I haven't included profits from Revolut or CTFS MS. I would have made more if I could just hammer BT's off MBNA and CIBC, but looks like they're teaching me a lesson in patience :lol:

Friendly tag to @banker8
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Jan 12, 2020
3 posts
Vancouver
Super excited, just ordered my card! Is ATM the only way to withdraw? Or can you e-transfer, bill pay, etc?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
underdunk wrote: Super excited, just ordered my card! Is ATM the only way to withdraw? Or can you e-transfer, bill pay, etc?
For ATM withdrawals, Mogo has a low cap plus they charge a fee. You can't drain Mogo via e-transfer. For bill pay, Mogo offers no such feature built-in, meaning it'd be used in conjunction with another service such as Plastiq.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Update...I just found a niche use case for Mogo, so I ordered it.

@Kiraly & @aweawea how do I add Mogo as a CTFS payee?
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19736 posts
28624 upvotes
Vancouver
titaniumtux wrote: Update...I just found a niche use case for Mogo, so I ordered it.

@Kiraly & @aweawea how do I add Mogo as a CTFS payee?
last 12 digits
Mind sharing your "niche use case"?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Kiraly wrote: last 12 digits
Mind sharing your "niche use case"?
It involves buying forex. Something the Hungarian King @Kiraly is usually not interested in...:lol:

And no, not swiping through that nasty 2.5% FTF :twisted:
Nov 21, 2015
416 posts
541 upvotes
-37.68611 176.16667
titaniumtux wrote: It involves buying forex. Something the Hungarian King @Kiraly is usually not interested in...:lol:

And no, not swiping through that nasty 2.5% FTF :twisted:
i would have guessed buying and selling crypto (bitcoins). Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2687 posts
4430 upvotes
BC
I ordered a card as well for the heck of it. A use case may or may not present itself at some point. If nothing else, another burner card for trial sign-ups.

They don't even give you an instant virtual card, have to wait for the physical card to arrive.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
dbC00per wrote: i would have guessed buying and selling crypto (bitcoins). Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
It's just a node in the chain. Crypto could but doesn't have to be the end goal. I'll obviously need to be my own guinea pig...but could fill a slick niche.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Here we go...
YOUR CARD IS BORN

Hey Titaniumtux,

You're now the proud owner of a new MogoCard, and you should receive it in the mail by 08/06/2020. Once you receive it, open the Mogo app to activate it and get started!
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: I'm still doing some "chesterfield MS". I am patiently waiting to cash out on WB's from Manulife and Tangerine. I'm still burning through the plethora of gift cards I got just before TD CT gave me the boot. I started PS'ing RBC. I'm still earning decent rewards on my Cobalt plus CTFS Down-pointing Red Triangle WE combo for domestic spend (just at the end of Cobalt's WB if I'm not mistaken).

My 2020 so far...
  1. not gonna count TD CT because that wouldn't be fair
  2. 55k AP from three cards all FYF
  3. BW 20k pts +$50 GCR
  4. $250 Manulife FYF
  5. $300 Tang
  6. 35k Avion (redeemed for Amazon GC at 0.94cpp); $250 WJD's
  7. 100k PCO pts
  8. 30k MR-select Cobalt. AF offset by GCR & AmEx offers

I already exceeded $2k in CC rewards with nearly half the year remaining. I just PS'd one RBC this month and I'll PS the other next month. I haven't BT'd PCF yet. I haven't included profits from Revolut or CTFS MS. I would have made more if I could just hammer BT's off MBNA and CIBC, but looks like they're teaching me a lesson in patience :lol:

Friendly tag to @banker8
Which one is the 3rd AP FYF card? TD, CIBC and?

Also, enlighten the acronyms, what's PS? And TD CT?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Messerschmitt wrote: Which one is the 3rd AP FYF card? TD, CIBC and?

Also, enlighten the acronyms, what's PS? And TD CT?
  1. 1x TD, 2x CIBC...two of the same product
  2. You should check out the acronyms thread...Product Switch, Toronto-Dominion Canada Trust
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2012
10045 posts
3758 upvotes
multi city dweller
titaniumtux wrote: Here we go...
got the email with the same ETA date ... lol

btw, how did you manage to put yr rfd handle on yr mogo card?