• Jun 28th, 2023 11:59 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2015
1124 posts
1674 upvotes
Cornwall, ON
banker8 wrote: Less keystrokes transmitted across the ether, fulfills their goal of the reduction of digital waste Electric Light Bulb
HahaUpside-down Face, if that was true, it would be exceptionally ineffective... unfortunately I make up for it by forgetting to turn my energy star monitor off accidentally from time to time! :facepalm: (what good is 30% less power if it's on 200% more time eh? lol) Not to mention... I have spent how many keystrokes asking why those 4 don't go there? 🤣
Pronouns: She/Her/They/Them/Mx
Kept Amazon.ca Sorting Tool: https://katrina.life/s/
* A google ad cover's bandwidth
NoAF CB Combo:
(1) 4%/1.5% Simplii (2) 3% BMO CB (3) 2% Tang (4) 2%/1.25% Amex SC (5) 2% (Cell warranty) Desjardins
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1470 posts
1287 upvotes
Ontario
titaniumtux wrote: Mogo passed as VISA debit with Skrill?
Hmmmm ...

Upon looking at these guys further, they're a risky venture to dabble with.

Check out these fees (amongst others):
  • Provision of inaccurate or untruthful information and lack of cooperation fee (s. 4.5) - up to EUR 150
  • Prohibited Transactions fees (s. 11) - up to EUR 150 per instance

Link:

Skrill admin fees
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1470 posts
1287 upvotes
Ontario
@CouponBaron ...

What are you using Mogo prepaid for?

I can't see the benefit.

Even if you earn 1% to 1.5% when you load, from what I can see you'll get no earn when you spend. There's some bulldust I've read online before the card was launched where they were trumpeting that the card would earn 1.5% CB on spend (that'd definitely make it worthwhile), but I can't see that documented anywhere on their website. All they talk about for rewards, is the CO2 you'll purportedly save.

If the card has no earn benefit ... then even after your load benefit, you could've done just as well, or better, by putting that spend on many other cards. Including churn cards, or (LOL!) the card you used to load it in the first place.

Are you using it for $500 (or thereabouts) ATM withdrawals? Is it really worth the bother, after factoring in the ATM fees (both from Mogo, and the ATM owner)? Further to that, it's a PT product, just like PP ... so I can't see that lasting for long before your funds are frozen and you're booted.

The only use case I can see (nothing to do with earn), is if you load it with a low balance straight before a purchase at a potentially dodgy online merchant. With the card's prepaid balance reducing to near-zero afterwards. So, just using it as a precautionary measure, to protect yourself from being overcharged or defrauded.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
@banker8 @CouponBaron the only use case for Mogo is to load with CTFS (small rewards) then draining via a "cash advance" outlet. We're still looking for a scalable and cost-effective outlet.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2015
1124 posts
1674 upvotes
Cornwall, ON
banker8 wrote: @CouponBaron ...

What are you using Mogo prepaid for?

I can't see the benefit.

Even if you earn 1% to 1.5% when you load, from what I can see you'll get no earn when you spend. There's some bulldust I've read online before the card was launched where they were trumpeting that the card would earn 1.5% CB on spend (that'd definitely make it worthwhile), but I can't see that documented anywhere on their website. All they talk about for rewards, is the CO2 you'll purportedly save.

If the card has no earn benefit ... then even after your load benefit, you could've done just as well, or better, by putting that spend on many other cards. Including churn cards, or (LOL!) the card you used to load it in the first place.

Are you using it for $500 (or thereabouts) ATM withdrawals? Is it really worth the bother, after factoring in the ATM fees (both from Mogo, and the ATM owner)? Further to that, it's a PT product, just like PP ... so I can't see that lasting for long before your funds are frozen and you're booted.

The only use case I can see (nothing to do with earn), is if you load it with a low balance straight before a purchase at a potentially dodgy online merchant. With the card's prepaid balance reducing to near-zero afterwards. So, just using it as a precautionary measure, to protect yourself from being overcharged or defrauded.
Yeah, the 1.5% was what I was after... What is the "load benefit" you speak of? I just did a test $50 to see how it all works, and I can't see any benefit of any kind, whether load or spend. If I get 1.5% upon loading or upon spending I don't care when - pay me now or pay me later...but I'd like to see something. Haven't seen anything yet, except the CO2 thing you mentioned.

Also I'd probably use it for the Foreign Spending for the exact reason you said. I would say most of the direct-from-china sellers and other sketch online merchants are worth using some kind of buffer like this on.
NoAF CB Combo:
(1) 4%/1.5% Simplii (2) 3% BMO CB (3) 2% Tang (4) 2%/1.25% Amex SC (5) 2% (Cell warranty) Desjardins
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
@CouponBaron
  1. I've been encouraging you to get CTFS Cash Advantage for a while...
  2. Please don't use Mogo for forex. Lose 2.5% FTF at no opportunistic gain
  3. Please don't use Mogo on Chinese websites including AliExpress...even if it's in CAD. If you have to do a chargeback...prepaids are annoying

My plan is to get AmEx BBP from the US for AliExpress purchases, since it'll be the best balance of rewards, savings and reliability. Otherwise I'd use prepaids such as Revolut.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2015
1124 posts
1674 upvotes
Cornwall, ON
banker8 wrote: CB,

Read Tux's post <above>
Oh, I thought it was something more/else... nvm.
titaniumtux wrote: @CouponBaron
  1. I've been encouraging you to get CTFS Cash Advantage for a while...
  2. Please don't use Mogo for forex. Lose 2.5% FTF at no opportunistic gain
  3. Please don't use Mogo on Chinese websites including AliExpress...even if it's in CAD. If you have to do a chargeback...prepaids are annoying

My plan is to get AmEx BBP from the US for AliExpress purchases, since it'll be the best balance of rewards, savings and reliability. Otherwise I'd use prepaids such as Revolut.
1) I won't be getting CTFS Cash Advantage... It's a cash dis-advantage to me. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes I will never in my lifetime be hitting that top tier to be able to get there, so it's a waste. For the amount I'd put through on there (since this is really only for the "extra stuff" not my main).... I'd make more on the current card... 0.75% vs 0.5% (maybe I'd even see the 1% eventually, but it would still average out less since the card starts at 0.25%!).
2) Point taken - it was just the "safety" I was after, so call the 2.5% a safety tax lol.
3) Fair - as is, it was such a royal pain in the ass for the Hometrust card - I can imagine the same fate would befall that one.
NoAF CB Combo:
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19736 posts
28625 upvotes
Vancouver
My expiry date is coming up. February 2021. Not a chance will I pay the $9.99 fee to get it replaced. But I'll be happy to take a free replacement. Anyone get an expired card renewed for free?
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2012
10045 posts
3759 upvotes
multi city dweller
Kiraly wrote: My expiry date is coming up. February 2021. Not a chance will I pay the $9.99 fee to get it replaced. But I'll be happy to take a free replacement. Anyone get an expired card renewed for free?
huh?! ... did not know there is a fee to renew ...?
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2012
10045 posts
3759 upvotes
multi city dweller
Kiraly wrote: Yup. Right in the T&C's and has been in the OP of this thread since day one.
Is it still in the latest T&C ...? I could not find it there ...

i guess they will send me a new card only if i have $9.99 in the account ...?
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19736 posts
28625 upvotes
Vancouver
LOL808 wrote: Is it still in the latest T&C ...? I could not find it there ...

i guess they will send me a new card only if i have $9.99 in the account ...?
Huh, interesting. Looks like that fee was removed. Here's what the original T&C said back when I got the card in 2017:
Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 11.16.00 AM.png
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Kiraly wrote: Huh, interesting. Looks like that fee was removed. Here's what the original T&C said back when I got the card in 2017:

Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 11.16.00 AM.png
I doubt anyone had their Mogo cards expiring on them back in 2017 :lol:
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2014
1375 posts
505 upvotes
Ottawa
Kiraly wrote: Today I learned that Mogo Visa now works with Apple Pay. Good news for anyone who actually still uses this card.
Anything new this card can be used for that is beneficial? Its been sitting in my backup wallet for its whole life.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Kiraly wrote: Today I learned that Mogo Visa now works with Apple Pay. Good news for anyone who actually still uses this card.
Old news.
DarkVelvet55 wrote: Anything new this card can be used for that is beneficial? Its been sitting in my backup wallet for its whole life.
Topping up your apps in CAD? It's a prepaid :lol:
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2687 posts
4430 upvotes
BC
At least the Mogo guys are killing it adding useful new features to the app. I just opened the Mogo app for the first time in a while and I got a popup to enable rainforest mode. Adds background video of rainy forest and background sound of rain and birds Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
rhw123 wrote: At least the Mogo guys are killing it adding useful new features to the app. I just opened the Mogo app for the first time in a while and I got a popup to enable rainforest mode. Adds background video of rainy forest and background sound of rain and birds Face With Tears Of Joy
Yes. Much better than 1% cashback.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay, AF $0
MBNA RWE 5.4% grocery/resto
Bank: EQ (1.5%)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
Does this company provide any customer service at all? Phone number does not let me talk to a human. Chat says online, but when I try, it says Leave a message. Left a message, no response in days. I got the card and cannot even log in to the account to activate it; looks like they disabled the account.