Food & Drink

Moishe’s AAA 21 Day Aged Frozen Strip Loins at Costco for $38.99 / kg in Toronto

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2020 11:58 am
[OP]
Aug 8, 2007
653 posts
506 upvotes

Moishe’s AAA 21 Day Aged Frozen Strip Loins at Costco for $38.99 / kg in Toronto

Just came back from the Toronto Billy Bishop Costco with 4 Frozen striploins. Never saw these before but I really love Moishe’s steak house pickles which remind me of Honest Ed’s Warehouse and all the great prime rib we had there so wanted to give them a try. Always wanted to try the actual steakhouse but never had the dime so always went up the street to Schwartz's instead.

The window in the packaging only shows one of the four strip loins but I picked one with nice marbling hoping they were all cut from the same strip.

This is not cheap as it is actually a bit more than Costco’s fresh AAA strips but they look to be individually sealed so defrost and Just pop into the sous vide is possible and I am also considering a US trip in the near future which would require me to stock my freezer for self isolating on the return so these could do the trick very nicely.

I tried to find out more information, for example are they just selling their brand name to a no name mass producer (likely) but couldn’t find any information so would prefer to dream they were aged and cut at Moishe’s and flash frozen but know that this can’t be the case.

Anyone else try these yet? Any good?
Images
  • E24FDF7C-32F9-473C-B039-945079B8D830.jpeg
  • 45866B79-9720-45A2-A2AE-236E81F93B41.jpeg
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2994 upvotes
a bit odd to age then sell it frozen.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7126 posts
4415 upvotes
Between Countries
That's bloody expensive!!
[OP]
Aug 8, 2007
653 posts
506 upvotes
Definitely not your typical Costco bargain.

My Costco just moved the steaks to the display aisle so maybe a feature is coming up and a price adjustment opportunity for me.

Wishful thinking on my part that the well regarded Montréal steakhouse had to sell its aged steaks to Costco due to COVID closures, more likely just brand marketing.

I have toured beef processing facilities and marveled at how the butchers consistently cut steaks by eye into appropriate sized steaks, and also the laser computer equivalent that did so in the blink of an eye. I suspect these are mass produced and laser cut but was hoping someone knew this.

For me I was looking for frozen steaks to tide me over on my quarantine return and was going to freeze whatever I bought anyway and these seemed to be better packaged than what I could have done myself so a unique or atypical requirement.

To be honest most of the steaks I saw were underwhelming in terms of marbling so a definite pass at this price but I found one that looked promising.

I won’t be trying these for at least a month assuming my trip to the USA goes as planned and 4 steaks for the three of us over a two week quarantine period is not a lot so hoping someone has actually tried them and can comment as I will likely need to buy and freeze more before we leave and don’t want to do so without someone confirming they are very good as they are too expensive.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6687 posts
6665 upvotes
"Aged" in this case is mostly marketing.

All of the vacuum sealed beef cuts that Costco sells is also "aged" using the same method - wet aging.

I won't go into the details, but wet aging is completely different from dry aging, which is at a completely different price point, and unlikely to sold in this format
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36412 posts
10690 upvotes
Ottawa
KanataKG wrote: "Aged" in this case is mostly marketing.

All of the vacuum sealed beef cuts that Costco sells is also "aged" using the same method - wet aging.

I won't go into the details, but wet aging is completely different from dry aging, which is at a completely different price point, and unlikely to sold in this format
"Wet-aging steak tastes better in a lean cut of beef like a flat-iron steak, where the steak is less marbled with fat. Beef cut for dry aging starts out much thicker than wet aged beef but will lose considerable mass during the aging process. In the end, they both produce an excellent tender and juicy steak."
https://www.mychicagosteak.com/steak-un ... -the-beef/
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6687 posts
6665 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: "Wet-aging steak tastes better in a lean cut of beef like a flat-iron steak, where the steak is less marbled with fat. Beef cut for dry aging starts out much thicker than wet aged beef but will lose considerable mass during the aging process. In the end, they both produce an excellent tender and juicy steak."
https://www.mychicagosteak.com/steak-un ... -the-beef/
From your link, they sell dry aged beef at a significantly higher price per pound than the wet aged ones

https://www.mychicagosteak.com/shop-by- ... -aged.html
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36412 posts
10690 upvotes
Ottawa
KanataKG wrote: From your link, they sell dry aged beef at a significantly higher price per pound than the wet aged ones

That is why I provided the link.
Yes and because?
Oh yeah, a wet aged product can be at market in a few days whereas a dry aged one "hangs" around for weeks festering.
Someone has to pay for the storage LOL
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2994 upvotes
You can still dry-age a wet-aged piece of meat if you have a fridge. And use fake dry-aging with koji-rice method if you dont have the space or time.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29051 posts
14592 upvotes
Man... that's some chunky marbling.
EYEAM2COOL4U wrote: Definitely not your typical Costco bargain.
To be fair, steaks in general aren't a bargain at Costco. Other stuff is a steal sometimes (brisket, ground beef) but steaks are usually WELL over the loss leaders of grocery stores.
I have toured beef processing facilities and marveled at how the butchers consistently cut steaks by eye into appropriate sized steaks
Good chefs can do this pretty easily too. That's also why you can buy perfectly cut steaks for those who aren't so good.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
[OP]
Aug 8, 2007
653 posts
506 upvotes
Now being cleared out for $24.97 at my Thorncliffe Costco. I was able to get a price adjustment on my prior purchase and bought one more package but to be honest I had to pick through them as most of the steaks didn’t look very good, not much marbling.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7875 posts
3473 upvotes
EYEAM2COOL4U wrote: Now being cleared out for $24.97 at my Thorncliffe Costco. I was able to get a price adjustment on my prior purchase and bought one more package but to be honest I had to pick through them as most of the steaks didn’t look very good, not much marbling.
$14.97 when I was there today. Got one since you can't go wrong at under $4/steak.
[OP]
Aug 8, 2007
653 posts
506 upvotes
LNahid2000 wrote: $14.97 when I was there today. Got one since you can't go wrong at under $4/steak.
Thanks I went back to get a price adjustment and buy some more but they were just taking the sign down as sold out but I remembered the Billy Bishop Costco also had them so went there. At closing today Billy Bishop still had maybe 4 full boxes left.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
5624 posts
2979 upvotes
I assume they aren't kosher and the restaurant just has some kosher style dishes?
[OP]
Aug 8, 2007
653 posts
506 upvotes
Squirrel99 wrote: I assume they aren't kosher and the restaurant just has some kosher style dishes?
Nothing on the box to suggest they are Kosher so guess not. I really like their pickles so hopefully their steaks are ok as I now have enough of them to last me a while - the steaks are nicely individually vacuum sealed so should keep well in the freezer.
[OP]
Aug 8, 2007
653 posts
506 upvotes
Ok so finally bbq’d two steaks last night and they were just ok nothing great. They are thin and thaw out quite fast. I prefer a steak that is twice as thick. I’ll try sous vide next time to not overcook but hard to not do so if you want to also sear the outside. Would be good for stir fry etc. Definitely not worth original price. I am thinking I bought too many even at $14.97.