is this mold or mildew? what do I do??

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2019 9:43 am
Tags:
Jan 21, 2017
988 posts
339 upvotes

is this mold or mildew? what do I do??

hi guys, just checking to see if anyone knows what's going on. its a relatively newish house and we are starting to see these black dots around the sink and shower... :(
Images
  • IMG_20190918_150249_1.jpg
12 replies
Dec 26, 2007
257 posts
73 upvotes
Ottawa
Everyone gets mold and and mildew around the sink and shower area in the bathroom over time.

Just go get clorox or Tilex mold and mildew remover spray.

There are tons of other products you can use. Just spray them on and rub the surface with a sponge or soft brush. Ideally have the bathroom window open after you use the spray and dispose of the sponge after use on the moldly surface.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1294 posts
1241 upvotes
Bleach on a qtip works for me.

You have mold. My understanding is mildew is more powdery and whitish grey. Not a mildew expert though.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
6328 posts
2521 upvotes
does it matter?
DPR2017 wrote: hi guys, just checking to see if anyone knows what's going on. its a relatively newish house and we are starting to see these black dots around the sink and shower... :(
worst case use this with little elbow and grease if it is big problem. Costs about $10.
"Laws for thee but not for me!" I will keep on jet-setting around the world. Spend as much as I can and enjoy vacations Free at Friends estate. Do as I do not as I say. I used to pay for my vacation until I met my hero.
Jan 21, 2017
988 posts
339 upvotes
Thanks guys. Currently applying some vinegar and baking powder. Let's see how this does. If not. I got some bleach as well :)
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1528 posts
325 upvotes
Grimsby
Also if you leave your shower drapes or doors open a few inches both sides the air can circulate reducing this issue considerably.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2126 posts
1449 upvotes
Durham
Buy a steamer since caulking is relatively new. Will also come in handy for other uses. Use bathroom fan when showering as well reduces this.
Feb 25, 2018
567 posts
215 upvotes
It's mold not anthrax. Just clean it up with regular cleaner.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3487 posts
3895 upvotes
Montreal
DPR2017 wrote: Thanks guys. Currently applying some vinegar and baking powder.
I assume you mean baking soda?
Why would you use these two products simultaneously?

If you want to flush your money down the toilet there are more pleasant ways to do it.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3326 posts
1885 upvotes
Sorry OP that mold is possible fatal and you shouldn't be cleaning it yourself. Please wire me $10000 and I will come over with brand name clorox and clean that for you.
Dec 12, 2005
984 posts
398 upvotes
Richmond
Soak cotton in bleach and place it on that spot.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
DPR2017 wrote: Thanks guys. Currently applying some vinegar and baking powder. Let's see how this does. If not. I got some bleach as well :)
is your bath vent operating properly? when its in operation do you get air to coming outside? ( on some installs you can see the vent vanes opening from the outside ).
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1852 posts
879 upvotes
Toronto
ai_c wrote: Soak cotton in bleach and place it on that spot.
I do something similar. Mix baking soda and bleach to a runny paste, smear on mildew spots, cover with saranwrap to prevent drying and keep bleach active. I do it every couple months on mildew on the caulking in the shower.