Moldy block of cheese bought today expiring in 5 months

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2020 11:52 pm
[OP]
Nov 14, 2012
320 posts
157 upvotes

Moldy block of cheese bought today expiring in 5 months

Bought it today, was in the store for 10min and ride home another 10min then went to the fridge.

I am not grossed out, and the mold wont survive the baking. Also don't think the green mold is toxic. Remove mold and use? Discard entirely? Take it back?

UPDATE: found original receipt, and had no issues returning it day later. I usually do not buy this brand, so opted for money back rather than exchange.
PizzaMozarella1.jpg
PizzaMozarella2.jpg
Last edited by ramon2 on Oct 20th, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
16 replies
Jul 11, 2017
464 posts
404 upvotes
Absolutely take it back. I know all PC/No Name products have the full guarantee, so you will have no problem bringing it back. Even without a receipt as per policy, so long as you have the original packaging.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1094 posts
536 upvotes
Toronto
Take it back. The pack must have had a small hole in it somewhere.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
4743 posts
1065 upvotes
Abbottabad
ramon2 wrote: Bought it today, was in the store for 10min and ride home another 10min then went to the fridge.

I am not grossed out, and the mold wont survive the baking. Also don't think the green mold is toxic. Remove mold and use? Discard entirely? Take it back?

PizzaMozarella1.jpg

PizzaMozarella2.jpg
Bro do you cut cheese in the dark?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7926 posts
4324 upvotes
Alberta
ramon2 wrote: Bought it today, was in the store for 10min and ride home another 10min then went to the fridge.

PizzaMozarella1.jpg

PizzaMozarella2.jpg
Mold doesn’t grow that fast. It must have been on there when you bought it and you didn’t notice it. I’d take it back. But, doesnt blue cheese have this mold in it?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13085 posts
2175 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Will the store take it back, since the package has been already opened?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8421 posts
2897 upvotes
Throw it in the trash and buy a new one.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13618 posts
3678 upvotes
Montréal
Becks wrote: Will the store take it back, since the package has been already opened?
Pretty sure esp since it's a big chain.

OP, if you can't take it back right away, maybe call their CS to put this on the record and maybe take a pic of it in case you have to throw it out.

EDIT: supposedly one could cut it off since it's hard and not something soft like bread, but still, I'd be too grossed out regardless if it's safe or not
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5690 posts
1025 upvotes
Toronto
The Canterbury Tail wrote: Take it back. The pack must have had a small hole in it somewhere.
Pretty much this. That company sells thousands of those block cheeses and once in a while the packaging isn't perfect and both the retailer and consumer didn't notice the mold until you were ready to consume. This is actually more a trivial return than you might think
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6621 posts
2896 upvotes
was there a pin hole tear in the outer package of the cheese? Could be the reason why this happened. yes they will take it back It's their own brand after all.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
3658 posts
2457 upvotes
If you had it for a few weeks I would say just take off the mold and use it (I do that all the time - the BB dates aren't that accurate) but considering you bought it today - take it back. Not sure people are suggesting to throw it in the trash (should be going in the compost if anything) and buy a new one unless you have money to burn.
Before responding to someone (online or offline) ask yourself: is it true? is it helpful? is it kind? is it necessary? This comes from an old Sufi adage that is so relevant today.