Computers & Electronics

Monitor Color Support: 1 billion vs 16 million ? which one to go?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2021 12:21 am
[OP]
Aug 8, 2010
476 posts
50 upvotes

Monitor Color Support: 1 billion vs 16 million ? which one to go?

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-34 ... cs_section

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/accessorie ... 61F3GAR1US

There are all 34 inch, curved monitor. The Dell one is about $750 while the Lenovo is $550, after googling to get the coupons.

Is the Dell one worth the extra cost? 1 billion vs 16 million is a huge difference, right? and the Dell is IPS and Lenovo is VA.

I am an IT worker so I stare at monitor all the long, so it's important for me.

Thanks for your opinion in advance.
Thread Summary

Code: Select all

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-34-curved-usb-c-monitor-p3421w/apd/210-axqc/monitors-monitor-accessories

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/accessories-and-monitors/monitors/office/T34w-20A193403T034inch-Monitor-HDMI/p/61F3GAR1US
13 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12932 posts
2223 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
1000islands wrote: Is the Dell one worth the extra cost? 1 billion vs 16 million is a huge difference, right? and the Dell is IPS and Lenovo is VA.
Unless you're doing graphic design, it's good enough. Since you're asking, it means that it's good enough.

IPS vs VA is another discussion. There are pros and cons to each. Just remember that each panel type improves all the time. However, a few things do seem to be consistent:
IPS has the potential for more colours.
VA has better contrast ratios (ie, better blacks)
While VA's viewing angles are the same as IPS, 178 degrees, you get mild colour shifting in VA panels when viewed at an angle. The curved panel should help offset this, though.

Honestly, I think both panels are going to look pretty good.
[OP]
Aug 8, 2010
476 posts
50 upvotes
rabbit wrote: Unless you're doing graphic design, it's good enough. Since you're asking, it means that it's good enough.

IPS vs VA is another discussion. There are pros and cons to each. Just remember that each panel type improves all the time. However, a few things do seem to be consistent:
IPS has the potential for more colours.
VA has better contrast ratios (ie, better blacks)
While VA's viewing angles are the same as IPS, 178 degrees, you get mild colour shifting in VA panels when viewed at an angle. The curved panel should help offset this, though.

Honestly, I think both panels are going to look pretty good.
Thank you.
I finally googled but still want other's opinion:)
I went with the Lenovo one, because it's $506+tax on the sale forum and cashback.
[OP]
Aug 8, 2010
476 posts
50 upvotes
Damn, Lenovo deosn't state if it's anti-glare like the Dell one

um...wonder if I should cancel order now, as my eyes are not good. I need anti-glare.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15708 posts
2335 upvotes
1000islands wrote: why are you on this site if not because of money? it is stupid to state the obvious.

I am both, hence I am here.
Not sure I get your question. I linked you to a discussion on one monitor you asked about, contrasted with a Dell with 10-bit color, so you could do some reading. Or did you need us to hold your hand the whole way?
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
[OP]
Aug 8, 2010
476 posts
50 upvotes
JAC wrote: Not sure I get your question. I linked you to a discussion on one monitor you asked about, contrasted with a Dell with 10-bit color, so you could do some reading. Or did you need us to hold your hand the whole way?
I saw the discussion before posting here. not the same dell, but I didn't read the comment with regard to the color. but thanks for the effort in googling for me.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12932 posts
2223 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Oops, I meant to write that the Lenovo has 99% sRGB coverage, which is good enough for most people.

Yeah, I don't think it's worth the extra $200 unless there's a specific purpose for the pricier monitor.

This reviewer says that it is anti-glare.
https://www.criticreviewer.com/review-o ... n-the-uae/
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6488 posts
2198 upvotes
Vancouver
I do not notice any difference and I own a bunch. to me ,this is some kind of marketing, There's just no such thing as 10-bit monitor. 8bit+frs, which is useless fake addon. You won't see any difference between 8 and 10 bit. The only difference you will see is HDR rated monitors eg. hdr600. or hdr1000. And just make sure it covers at least 99% srgb, which in 2021 should be the minimum for any monitor. Other specs play a much bigger role than the extra 2bit,which are faked. I feel it's like comparing a 20mpix dslr image to a 100mpix cell phone image. DSLR will still win in quality and the fake megapixels are useless.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Dec 6, 2020
284 posts
257 upvotes
dazz wrote: There's just no such thing as 10-bit monitor.
FWIW, there are true 10 bit monitors for professional use, such as the Eizo CS2740, but they cost thousands to tens of thousands.

I don't disagree with anything else you said. In the era of the display industry working very hard to pretend that 50% sRGB is 'good enough,' gamut matters enormously more than 10 bit support.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6488 posts
2198 upvotes
Vancouver
middleofnowhere wrote: FWIW, there are true 10 bit monitors for professional use, such as the Eizo CS2740, but they cost thousands to tens of thousands.

I don't disagree with anything else you said. In the era of the display industry working very hard to pretend that 50% sRGB is 'good enough,' gamut matters enormously more than 10 bit support.
Good to know, as I don't require those, I never looked into specialized monitors. None of the mainstream consumer monitors I looked at were true 10bit, I had 4 in total and it was all gimmick.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1346 posts
236 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
middleofnowhere wrote: FWIW, there are true 10 bit monitors for professional use, such as the Eizo CS2740, but they cost thousands to tens of thousands.
There are some that aren't as expensive as an Eizo, like from Asus.

The video card also needs to support your 10 bit monitor to fully take advantage of it.

As for whether 10 bit is noticeable, it is if you do some types of photo processing. Easier to deal with banding when you have more data; good for landscape photography.
[OP]
Aug 8, 2010
476 posts
50 upvotes
dazz wrote: I do not notice any difference and I own a bunch. to me ,this is some kind of marketing, There's just no such thing as 10-bit monitor. 8bit+frs, which is useless fake addon. You won't see any difference between 8 and 10 bit. The only difference you will see is HDR rated monitors eg. hdr600. or hdr1000. And just make sure it covers at least 99% srgb, which in 2021 should be the minimum for any monitor. Other specs play a much bigger role than the extra 2bit,which are faked. I feel it's like comparing a 20mpix dslr image to a 100mpix cell phone image. DSLR will still win in quality and the fake megapixels are useless.
Thank you.
This is the kind of answer I was looking for, even though I don't really understand the technicality, but it just smooth and comforting to hear somebody who really has an opinion and know what they are talking about on the subject.
I ordered the lenovo one yesterday night coz it happened to be on sale, but it's not yet shipped.