• Last Updated:
  • Mar 12th, 2018 2:11 pm
[OP]
Sep 27, 2003
10523 posts
2925 upvotes
Newmarket

Monitor Recommendations

Looking to purchase 2x 24-25" monitors, preferably QHD resolution. The monitors must have VESA mounting capabilities. They'll be used in my home-office, no gaming. Netflix / YouTube is as extensive as my graphics requirements will get.

The Dell U2518D can be had for $377.99 when factoring in coupon codes. Seems like it'll do the job and it comes with a 3 year warranty. Looks like the warranty is also an advanced exchange service with "premium panel guarantee.

The Viewsonic VX2478-SMHD can be had for $318. Also comes with a 3 year warranty, no mention on advanced exchange.

Overall specs between the two are very similar.

Thoughts / recommendations?
RFD Forums Moderator
11 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2018
1009 posts
48 upvotes
I have a Dell 27" LED IPS panel. For LED, you can't really get better than that.

I've seen Viewsonics before, and they are ok.

You probably won't notice a difference, unless you put them side by side.
Feb 6, 2018
82 posts
19 upvotes
They have the same specs, almost. If you want the extra features like USB 3.0 ports, go with Dell. If you need a standard one, choose Viewsonic.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22126 posts
2800 upvotes
What about getting one 21:9 Ultrawide monitor instead?

I'm using a single Dell U3415W with a Thinkpad
Wouldn't go back to my previous 2x monitor setup with Thinkpad
[OP]
Sep 27, 2003
10523 posts
2925 upvotes
Newmarket
george__ wrote: What about getting one 21:9 Ultrawide monitor instead?

I'm using a single Dell U3415W with a Thinkpad
Wouldn't go back to my previous 2x monitor setup with Thinkpad
My friend has one of those and I tried it. I think it would be disruptive to my workflow. I like having the clear separation in monitors.
RFD Forums Moderator
[OP]
Sep 27, 2003
10523 posts
2925 upvotes
Newmarket
ronthan wrote: They have the same specs, almost. If you want the extra features like USB 3.0 ports, go with Dell. If you need a standard one, choose Viewsonic.
My thoughts exactly. I just need a monitor with basic features.
RFD Forums Moderator
[OP]
Sep 27, 2003
10523 posts
2925 upvotes
Newmarket
I've gone ahead with the Viewsonic. I'm sure it'll do everything I need and save me $50 per monitor.
RFD Forums Moderator
[OP]
Sep 27, 2003
10523 posts
2925 upvotes
Newmarket
Just got the monitors set up. They'll definitely do the job. Couple things worth noting:

1. The colour between the two panels was slightly different; easily corrected in the settings though. Both monitors are now alike.
2. It'll take my eyes a bit of time to get used them. The panels are definitely more advanced compared to what I am used to. As well, my only real exposure to High-DPI has been on laptop / tablet screens.
3. Fonts look different, likely due to the 125% scaling involved. Again, my only experience with High-DPI was on smaller screen.
4. Had to turn down the brightness. 100% is quite bright.
RFD Forums Moderator
[OP]
Sep 27, 2003
10523 posts
2925 upvotes
Newmarket
Quick update, I am pleased with the monitors. My eyes have adjusted, and all is good in the world!
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10020 posts
878 upvotes
Toronto
I'd just went with a 40inch 4k samsung tv. works great! I don't game, but the desktop space! its great!!!
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."