Is this monitor salvageable at all?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2017 9:50 pm
[OP]
Nov 1, 2017
889 posts
343 upvotes

Is this monitor salvageable at all?

I was trying to remove the bezels from my triple monitor setup, but turns out I was prying the inner silver bezel instead of the plastic one :facepalm:
Probably should have attempted this while the monitor was powered on, so I could see the effect of the pressure I was applying.

Can I salvage this at all? If it's just the polarizer, I can replace that; but I think I cracked the panel as-well.

11 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3574 posts
905 upvotes
Looks like you cracked the screen.... don't think its salvageable. :( Since it's not that easy to find a new screen for monitors, at which you're better off getting a new monitor anyways.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2582 posts
2293 upvotes
Montreal
If it's a new monitor, my thought was trying your credit card insurance.

But for Visa it's excluded
11. Loss or damage while undergoing any installation process or while being worked On, where damage results from such installation process or work.

Might be worth checking the wording on your card though
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5449 posts
510 upvotes
Toronto
FrancisBacon wrote: If it's a new monitor, my thought was trying your credit card insurance.

11. Loss or damage while undergoing any installation process or while being worked On, where damage results from such installation process or work.

Pretty sure it's excluded on everything in which you worked on it and not a professional.

Also, not salvageable. Only way is to find an lcd monitor with no backlight on kijiji or something and swapping the screen. Same model is best, but possibly can use an identical size as many manufacturers use the same screen.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6826 posts
5728 upvotes
North York
sell the shell + board. Screen is gone I think, I see big black blob, that's pretty deep, probably damaged the innermost layer.
[OP]
Nov 1, 2017
889 posts
343 upvotes
FrancisBacon wrote: If it's a new monitor, my thought was trying your credit card insurance.

I used PayPal, do no extended warranty for me

Plus it's been 4 years since I bought it
[OP]
Nov 1, 2017
889 posts
343 upvotes
killoverme wrote: Pretty sure it's excluded on everything in which you worked on it and not a professional.

Also, not salvageable. Only way is to find an lcd monitor with no backlight on kijiji or something and swapping the screen. Same model is best, but possibly can use an identical size as many manufacturers use the same screen.
Unfortunately that means I also need to find a panel that has the same anti-glare film that Dell uses, or I'll have remove the anti-glare from my other two.

I guess I'm going to be watching kijiji.ca and RFD a bit more closely for a while.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19901 posts
5274 upvotes
Off the 404
Nope, its dead, the panel is usually the most expensive part of a monitor/TV. I had the same damage, on my TV, but I accidentally punched it while playing VR. Feels bad. Did it in front of people. Feels even more bad. It was a $2000 TV. Tears.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3574 posts
905 upvotes
If it's a 4yr old Dell monitor it might not be too hard to find a used one .
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7781 posts
2521 upvotes
Maple
You are hyper when gaming. j/k
coriolis wrote: Nope, its dead, the panel is usually the most expensive part of a monitor/TV. I had the same damage, on my TV, but I accidentally punched it while playing VR. Feels bad. Did it in front of people. Feels even more bad. It was a $2000 TV. Tears.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27587 posts
7942 upvotes
Panel is done, so monitor is done--cheaper to replace than repair. It might be useful to someone for the remaining parts--could sell it for $10-20 depending on model. Otherwise drop off at HHW depot.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2943 upvotes
Best you get this LCD monitor replaced with the same model before it is discontinued, since you have 2 of these already.