Shopping Discussion

Monopoly Here and Now World Edition v Monopoly Here and Now?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2009 4:56 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
11830 posts
1790 upvotes
Vancouver

Monopoly Here and Now World Edition v Monopoly Here and Now?

I have been looking at these for a long time. My friend bought me the "Here and Now" electronic banking edition.

I went to Toysrus and saw a different one:

Monopoly Here and Now World Edition which is also an electronic edtion.

I am trying to find out the difference? They are definitely two different boxes.
7 replies
Sep 8, 2004
82 posts
6 upvotes
London, ON
The World Edition has replaced the traditional names (Park Place, States Ave, etc.,) with names of different cities from around the world. There is no change in the way you actually play the game.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
11830 posts
1790 upvotes
Vancouver
Lula wrote: The World Edition has replaced the traditional names (Park Place, States Ave, etc.,) with names of different cities from around the world. There is no change in the way you actually play the game.
Yes I know but why two different versions? What's the difference?
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
212 upvotes
Surrey
trellaine201 wrote: Yes I know but why two different versions? What's the difference?
The difference has already been explained. As for why two different versions, there are actually a great deal of different Monopoly versions. It's called remarketing. Redesigning an old product to make it new again.
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8433 posts
1222 upvotes
I have the Here and Now World Edition with electronic banking.

My advice -> buy the original version! The payout system is messed up as the denominations of the current and payments are too similar.

Otherwise, it's the same game but they replaced Boardwalk with Montreal and they have collectable play pieces now.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2006
1267 posts
289 upvotes
Ottawa
iamnotamerican.com wrote: The difference has already been explained. As for why two different versions, there are actually a great deal of different Monopoly versions. It's called remarketing. Redesigning an old product to make it new again.
Actually, they didn't answer the OP's question at all.

I have both copies, and the differences are:

The Here and Now version has Canadian landmarks (CN Tower, West Edmonton Mall, Peggy's Cove, etc). The electronic unit takes 2xAAA batteries. It has "modern" tokens like a cell phone, a segway, etc. It is also the older version, and I think is 2+ years old now.

The Here and Now World has world landmarks (Mine's not open yet, and it doesn't list them on the box, but I would assume major cities, and landmarks) The electronic unit takes 2xAA batteries, and apparently has more features (timing auctions, maybe more), but people say it is slower. It has 6 random tokens out of 20 that are world icons, like the pyramids or the Eiffel tower. It's the newest version, and came out earlier this year.

Each game plays the same as regular Monopoly except that all dollar values are multiplied by 10,000 (hundreds are millions). We use the electronic unit for our other Monopoly versions as well and it saves alot of trouble not using the paper money, but I can understand it may not be for everyone.

I hope this answers your question!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
11830 posts
1790 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks. I am glad you read my original post. ;)

I have the "Here and Now Electronic Edition". I think I wanted the other one which you explained was the original one called "Here and Now World Edition" and on the box is "The World has voted" or something like that.

Thanks for clearing things up. I guess I will just buy that version as well.
Dec 6, 2006
144 posts
4 upvotes
Yeah I don't like the new electronic system only because if you have a lot of people, it takes forever to insert each persons card, wait for it to load, change it, etc.