Hot Deals

[Monoprice] US deal - Monoprice Sealed Subs 15": USD $979 12":USD 609 10":USD $479

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2020 1:41 pm
[OP]
Jan 25, 2005
78 posts
27 upvotes
Ottawa

[Monoprice] US deal - Monoprice Sealed Subs 15": USD $979 12":USD 609 10":USD $479

Monoprice.com has Monolith sealed M15-S 15" THX Certified 1000-Watt Powered Subwoofer on sale for $979.34. Shipping is free (within US)

This Monolith subwoofer amplifier has a high power output of 1000 watts RMS. Each Class D amplifier is built around a Texas Instruments 48-bit data path (with 28-bit filter coefficients) DSP engine, allowing virtually unlimited design flexibility with the assurance of no signal degradation.

These are well reviewed subs.
Review here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/11...eview.html

Monolith subs don't drop much so if you need a sealed this seems good.
Would prefer a deal on the 15" ported., but might have to bite the bullet on this one.
I think its fantastic price. Similar powered subs are around USD $1,200-1,500.
Decisions, decisions?
Images
  • 351411.jpeg
14 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
1886 posts
642 upvotes
will it blow my house fuse or breaker?
Any man who tells you he enjoys a cold shower will lie about other things

Ronald Reagan
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1087 posts
1156 upvotes
xpressmerchant wrote: will it blow my house fuse or breaker?
1000 Watts (this is really only the peak amplifier wattage, not sustained, but let's assume it is 1k) at 120V = 8.33 Amps.

Most residential building built in the last 30 years in Canada are 15 Amps+ these days each section.

So. In short. Most likely not. Unless you are running a few high power usage stuff on the same circuit.

A simple kettle would have much bigger chance of jumping your breaker.
[OP]
Jan 25, 2005
78 posts
27 upvotes
Ottawa
The spec says 1000 RMS (not peak) for the 15" one. Peak is not given.
12" one say 500 RMS - 900 Peak.

RMS is continuous power handling at sustained listening level. The RMS power rating will be the closest to the amplifier or speaker's actual capabilities.
This is what Monoprice says for the 15".
  • 1000 Watt Amplifier: The 1000W RMS amplifier is built around a Texas Instruments™ 48-bit data path (with 28-bit filter coefficients) and DSP engine. Each amplifier's transfer function, power output limiting and thermal protection are monitored to the millisecond and are customized for each individual driver. The high efficiency Class D amplifier modules are based on a proven topology that has been continuously refined over the past 4 years. The amplifier has vast reserves of power for highly accurate, deep bass for your home theater or music system.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
1828 posts
540 upvotes
Mississauga
Hmm... 2x 12s or 2x svs pb12 pro .. man I hate rfd... US $ is what 1.33 is what's killing this deal. I think I'll wait until my Renos are done .. I'm running all the wire anyway so it will easy hookup.

These are very well priced compared to the SVSs.. just don't know if the SVSs differences will be worth the extra.
Jan 23, 2007
122 posts
8 upvotes
Cucumference wrote: Most residential building built in the last 30 years in Canada are 15 Amps+ these days each section.
Most buildings in Canada period should be able to handle 15 amps. Our basic plugs are NEMA5-15 and by standard that is 15 amps @ 120VAC. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector#NEMA_5 . If you have a standard plug (which we all do in Canada), then you "should" be able to get 15 amps out of it. Now if you have bad/old breakers then that is something else. Also you could have too much tied into a single breaker.

In general I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as your house wiring is somewhat sane. The sub would rarely pull that much and uses internal capacitors to handle peak loads.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
1886 posts
642 upvotes
Tsun wrote: Most buildings in Canada period should be able to handle 15 amps. Our basic plugs are NEMA5-15 and by standard that is 15 amps @ 120VAC. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector#NEMA_5 . If you have a standard plug (which we all do in Canada), then you "should" be able to get 15 amps out of it. Now if you have bad/old breakers then that is something else. Also you could have too much tied into a single breaker.

In general I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as your house wiring is somewhat sane. The sub would rarely pull that much and uses internal capacitors to handle peak loads.
I live in a building and I feel that a few wall plug share a 15 amps breaker. I have a portable heater on it own wall plug and it trip the breaker. It's a dyson am09. I don't think it go over 15 amps on it own.
Any man who tells you he enjoys a cold shower will lie about other things

Ronald Reagan
Feb 29, 2016
145 posts
78 upvotes
Is this a good deal only if you’re going to pick it up at the border? I assume it’d suck if you need warranty.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12715 posts
3765 upvotes
Ottawa
lykwd888 wrote: Is this a good deal only if you’re going to pick it up at the border? I assume it’d suck if you need warranty.
correct
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and not paying full price like Joe Shmoe did. This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Jan 23, 2007
122 posts
8 upvotes
Well that is the spec.. any plug is rated at 15 amps @ 120VAC, so it can pull that much max. No single device should pull more if using that plug. If it requires more, there is other plugs and backing breakers to support those. Anyways, heaters, toaster ovens and microwaves can use10+ amps by themselves. Their rating should be on the back of the device.

Monoprice's warranty extends into Canada. Bought some M1060 headphones that died on me after 9 months and the support was pretty good. I just had to spring for shipping back on my own but otherwise it was quick and painless.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
3192 posts
497 upvotes
Brampton
Wow, nice price if you are near the border and can drive over.
Im betting most cross-border handlers will charge extra for this as its over 80lbs.
Not to mention a 15" is probably overkill for most people, unless you want the whole neighborhood to hear it.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Jan 28, 2007
871 posts
280 upvotes
I have the Jamo D600 (15" sub) in my setup a few years now and I have to turn it off at nights when the kids are asleep :-)
Jamo D600
[OP]
Jan 25, 2005
78 posts
27 upvotes
Ottawa
Looking for some advice.
Should I go with one or two subs. One 15" oe 2 x12".
2x15's is out of my budget,
Maybe I should get one, and add one later on. or wait for a deal on the ported versions.
Basement - HT Room L shaped 38'x 40' at the longest sides - Receiver is Yamaha Rx-A 3070 + Monolith Power amp
using Polk Rti-A9 as the fronts.
Used mostly as a movie room. probably 80% Movies - 20% Music.

Advice would be very much appreciated.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
2885 posts
1245 upvotes
FND wrote: Looking for some advice.
Maybe I should get one, and add one later on. or wait for a deal on the ported versions.
Basement - HT Room L shaped 38'x 40' at the longest sides - Receiver is Yamaha Rx-A 3070 + Monolith Power amp

Generally speaking, two subs is always better than one and that is a very big room. Your best bet is likely dual ported subs.
Nov 24, 2019
49 posts
41 upvotes
Saskatoon
FND wrote: Looking for some advice.

Duals are almost always better than single, you'll get a much more even response across the room and more headroom from the subs. If it was strictly one 15" vs two 12" for the long term, dual 12's would be better. However, that's a massive room to fill. Going for a single 15" now is probably a better path for you, as long as you'd plan to get a second one in the next year or two. And yeah, I'd also wait for a sale on ported with the size of your room and primarily movie watching. I know the 15" ported Monoliths dropped to $1400 briefly on Amazon in the fall, and I'm still a little mad I didn't go for them at that point.