Expired Hot Deals

[Monoprice] US Deal: MP Select Mini 3D Printer V2 Black (Open Box) US$99.99 Free Shipping to USA

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2019 5:38 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8600 posts
5500 upvotes
Kootenays

[Monoprice] US Deal: MP Select Mini 3D Printer V2 Black (Open Box) US$99.99 Free Shipping to USA

MP Select Mini 3D Printer V2 Black (Open Box) US$99.99 Free Shipping to the USA https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id= ... ame=DM6664

If you have easy access to the USA or use a forwarding service, this is a very economical way to get introduced to 3D printing. We got our son one for Christmas last year, also open box for US$99 and it has been very good value. His arrived looking brand new. They tend to sell out quickly.

Features
Fully assembled and factory calibrated so you can start printing right away
Insulated and heated built plate with pre-installed build mat
Nozzle cooling fan and main board cooling fan
Includes accessory kit
All-metal nozzle
Wi-Fi®, microSD™ card, and USB connectivity
3.7" IPS color screen
Windows® and Mac® compatible
Compatible with Cura, Repetier, and other software

What's in the box
1x MP Select Mini 3D printer
1x Filament holder
1x AC power adapter
1x AC power cord
1x Micro USB cable
1x MicroSD™ card
1x Plastic bed scraper
1x Bed leveling hex wrench
1x Sample PLA filament

P.S. No whining if you don't have easy access to the border. Many of us do.
25 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5960 posts
1431 upvotes
Wow, that's a great price. Too bad I might only use it once a year...
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA

「上上下下左右左右BA」
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8600 posts
5500 upvotes
Kootenays
rf134a wrote: Wow, that's a great price. Too bad I might only use it once a year...
For around CDN$135, it's worth it if you're at all interested, I think.
Feb 6, 2013
917 posts
1049 upvotes
Ontario
You got your son a 3D printer? Wow when I was a kid I had to buy my own 2D printer! (Epson Stylus 440)
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1304 posts
1285 upvotes
Surrey
So what kind of material u have to buy to get it printed?
May 26, 2005
793 posts
540 upvotes
jaksdj22 wrote: So what kind of material u have to buy to get it printed?
PLA or ABS spools, up to 1.75mm thickness.
May 8, 2005
395 posts
200 upvotes
Ottawa
NICE thanks, I was going to spend $500 today on a AMDIMLab Prusa as my first 3D printer but I think I might just get this little guy instead and play around with and learn!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6530 posts
6379 upvotes
rf134a wrote: Wow, that's a great price. Too bad I might only use it once a year...
You'd be surprised. Once you have one you find you use it more and more.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6530 posts
6379 upvotes
roastpuff wrote: PLA or ABS spools, up to 1.75mm thickness.
Sorry, no, ABS isn't a good idea with this printer without extensive modes.

The hot end isn't really suited for ABS. You want a hot end temp of around 240C for ABS (vs ~200C for PLA), and the hot end in this printer just doesn't stand that temp for long without failing (usually the internal guide tube warps/fails.

The bed can't hit the temp needed for ABS (around 80C) stock. You'd need to upgrade the power supply.

ABS doesn't like being cool rapidly (it warps), so you'd have to enclose the print area and turn down/off the extruder fan, which makes failure of the hot end even more assured.

For a person new to 3D printing stick to PLA, of which this printer is AWESOME. It will also due PETG well (takes more skill to get the settings right to prevent warping and stringing), and this printer JUST gets to the temps needed for good PETG prints.

It is a FANTASTIC printer, very simple to use, VERY consistent results. It's dog slow, and has a small print area, but for the price ($100USD) it is an ABSOLUTE steal.

Note that this printer DOES have a flaw, you will absolutely have to replace the wiring to the hot bed, because of how the wiring is routed it will fail (my failed after 6 months). It's a pretty easy job to fix, but be aware of that issue.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1294 posts
601 upvotes
Somewhere in Ontario
What would it cost in Canadian peso if you used a forwarding service?
Aug 27, 2009
98 posts
96 upvotes
Gatineau
Shipping to Canada is offered.

Shipping almost kills the deal, 42US for shipping to Ottawa.
No mention of tax and duty on their website, so assume extra fees once it arrives in Canada.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6834 posts
5738 upvotes
North York
Questions for 3d printing experts

Is there a model of 3d printer that comes with some vacuum built in?

This one is cheap, but doesn't have the protective glass frame. And even some with glass frames, we don't want these dust, aka UFPs, to be hovering around the house.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2007
2118 posts
731 upvotes
RoseTech wrote: You got your son a 3D printer? Wow when I was a kid I had to buy my own 2D printer! (Epson Stylus 440)
Jesus, Epson Stylus 440. That model number just triggered memories from the late 90s. I had the same printer. Oh how far we've come in consumer printing technology...
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
2490 posts
1635 upvotes
Montreal
It will take you weeks to figure out how to make it work properly and figure out how to adjust it. Might as well start right now.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2007
2118 posts
731 upvotes
Does open box mean it's a customer return? Can anyone comment on what they received?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6530 posts
6379 upvotes
Goonish wrote: Does open box mean it's a customer return? Can anyone comment on what they received?
Yes, usually customer return.

Mine was in new condition, couldn't tell it had even been opened.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2743 posts
5441 upvotes
I wouldn’t be too worried about the fact that it is open box. I had so much difficulty getting started with this unit, I can see why there would be returns on this from people who basically just rage quit after a bunch of failed prints.

This took a little tinkering but eventually I got some pretty decent prints. Worth it for $99usd, make sure you buy some buildtak or a ton of blue tape.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8600 posts
5500 upvotes
Kootenays
thekingarthur wrote: Shipping to Canada is offered.

Shipping almost kills the deal, 42US for shipping to Ottawa.
No mention of tax and duty on their website, so assume extra fees once it arrives in Canada.
Most things ship with USPS with Monoprice and taxes are included in the shipping price to Canada.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6530 posts
6379 upvotes
kimwoobingsu wrote: Worth it for $99usd, make sure you buy some buildtak or a ton of blue tape.
Honestly I find this printer is super easy to use. The trick is:

1) The right filament - Start with only PLA. I have found a LARGE variety of results based on filament. Going super cheap here is NOT worth your time. I STRONGLY recommend the AMAZ3D filament on Amazon
2) The right temp - 205C is pretty much perfect
3) The right bed - use the stock bed, NOTHING else, keep it clear, don't worry about the odd scratch
4) The right bed temp - 60C. Tons of people say PLA doesn't NEED a heated bed. They're right. But those same people use a variety of techniques to get that working, from tap, to hairspray, to glass beds, etc. ALL not necessary if you stick to 60C
5) The right model and slicer - This is huge. Don't be afraid to use tons of supports, and to start, ALWAYS use a raft. When you get familiar and experienced you can start pulling back on that. I can look at a model and KNOW what kind of supports I need. A newbie? Just enable it all. What you loose is a little bit of filament (it's cheap, who cares) and time.

I have NEVER changed the stock bed on my select mini 3d. I have never used any 'help' to get things to stick. With everything I listed I get pretty much 100% reliability.