Request-A-Deal

Monthly internet provider with no setup fee

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2020 2:05 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Feb 26, 2020
72 posts
174 upvotes
TDot

Monthly internet provider with no setup fee

I need internet for one month. Do any companies provide a simple monthly internet package with no setup fee/charge? Even better if I can just pickup something from them without needing them to setup cabling etc.
So ideally:
-month to month internet no contract
-no setup fees
-an easy system to setup (do virgin or fido use cables or their wireless network?)
6 replies
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 15, 2003
806 posts
464 upvotes
Ottawa
Virgin Mobile home internet charges no set up fees and is month to month. They use Bell DSL in my area for their service, so I can only get a max of 100Mbps.

You will need a technician if you haven't had DSL before.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 3, 2014
3123 posts
2746 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Starboardbound wrote: I need internet for one month. Do any companies provide a simple monthly internet package with no setup fee/charge? Even better if I can just pickup something from them without needing them to setup cabling etc.
So ideally:
-month to month internet no contract
-no setup fees
-an easy system to setup (do virgin or fido use cables or their wireless network?)
Assuming you have a mobile phone with data, why not just ramp up your phone plan for the month?

I'm thinking you'd have a hard time finding any internet providers that require installation to come out just to give you service for a month. They'd lose money before they even left the office.

As for the possible thought of setting up service then cancelling after a month...that's one of the reasons why companies have term agreements. :) If you are planning on doing that, I would read any service agreement very carefully because there could be penalties for short term cancellations, or without adequate notice.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
[OP]
Newbie
Feb 26, 2020
72 posts
174 upvotes
TDot
ALLCAPS wrote: Assuming you have a mobile phone with data, why not just ramp up your phone plan for the month?

I'm thinking you'd have a hard time finding any internet providers that require installation to come out just to give you service for a month. They'd lose money before they even left the office.

As for the possible thought of setting up service then cancelling after a month...that's one of the reasons why companies have term agreements. :) If you are planning on doing that, I would read any service agreement very carefully because there could be penalties for short term cancellations, or without adequate notice.
I need solid internet for work so have to have something reliable and I'm not sure how good my phone will be. I definitely don't want to take advantage of any company, I was more so looking for something like a simple solution that just works. For example my work uses little hotspot devices. Is there such a thing with decent bandwidth / monthly limits for personal use at a reasonable price? I originally thought Virgin and Fido were using their mobile network as the backbone for internet, so figured I could get something from them without having a tech come out.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 4, 2007
2140 posts
371 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

Find a non-gaming internet cafe or turn your phone into a hotspot.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25711 posts
22519 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Starboardbound wrote: I originally thought Virgin and Fido were using their mobile network as the backbone for internet, so figured I could get something from them without having a tech come out.
I was originally going to suggest Fido's 4GB for $10/month tablet data plan using an older or spare phone as a hotspot or even their "free" tablet promo. They'll send it out by courier, no tech needed, but:
1. It can be a hassle to get without already being a Fido voice/text customer.
2. They usually charge a $40 activation fee.
3. You're limited to 4GB a month at that rate. It's much more expensive if you go over.

RFD threads:
[Fido] 4GB LTE Data Plan $10, BYOD, no contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)
[Fido] 4GB tablet plan + CPO Tablet For $5/mo (Existing Customers only, 2 yr agreement, YMMV)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2441 posts
2292 upvotes
Ottawa
Starboardbound wrote: I originally thought Virgin and Fido were using their mobile network as the backbone for internet, so figured I could get something from them without having a tech come out.
Bell owns Virgin and Rogers owns Fido, so they use the Bell and Rogers wired (DSL/fibre and Coax, respectively) infrastructure.

I suspect that they just wanted to compete with all of the resellers, marketing to folks who don't know that they're still the big guys.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)