• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2018 9:09 am
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 25, 2017
20 posts

Monthly Spendings

Hello,
Im Setting up a personal budget and am trying to figure out how much I should spend per month on food and going out. I’m 19 and am living at home with my parents. I take home $2200/month. My expenses are: car $350, insurance $410, phone $95, gym $30, gas $150. Up until now ive been spending $200 on Food/entertainment and saving the rest (~$900).
My question is, am I spending too much on food/entertainment?
33 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15096 posts
11832 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
More like spending too much on car/insurance/gas.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6812 posts
6962 upvotes
wiktoro wrote: Hello,
Im Setting up a personal budget and am trying to figure out how much I should spend per month on food and going out. I’m 19 and am living at home with my parents. I take home $2200/month. My expenses are: car $350, insurance $410, phone $95, gym $30, gas $150. Up until now ive been spending $200 on Food/entertainment and saving the rest (~$900).
No, but you're spending a lot on that car of yours...
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
2180 posts
949 upvotes
since you're likely not paying room & board living with parents.....

over $900/mth in vehicle costs is a huge amount of money as a percentage of your take home pay, thats 41.3% basic, then there is oil changes, maintenance, repairs, license sticker etc, probably close to 45%

can you/would you use public transit & for other travel maybe a taxi?

if you are firm on keeping the vehicle, maybe re-look at vehicle insurance alternatives & coverage - just do basic basic insurance

do the numbers see how they work compared to vehicle cost/maintenance, gas, insurance & depreciation to a combined public transit/taxi & maybe bum rides.

see if you can get a better deal on the gym costs, such as pay as you go or even the local community centre gym?

$95/mth for a phone plan is also too much, try to get this down by at least 25%, shop around

as for eating out & entertainment, $200/mth is less than $50/wk calendar week, around $7/day average. - I don't see this as an issue for a 19 year old, I would have guessed more.

redoing your budget on the vehicle costs, phone & gym membership you could probably save that $200

Last edited by Guest37273939 on Jun 16th, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5624 posts
1486 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
May I recommend a template kind of like this one for your spreadsheet. This is like what I use.

What is a good/bad budget will always bring differing opinions. Everyone has a different lifestyle. The most important thing is are YOU happy, both now and into the future? Do YOU make use of your expenditures to get the most out of your life, or do they go to waste?

That being said, based on 2200/month net and your current spending for each category, that financial picture is not out of the ordinary. What you spend for each is pretty typical. Just note that you can't afford to move out unless you have roommates, and even if you do, you'd likely save little to none. If I were you, saving and budgeting wouldn't be the first concern - but finding higher income (or another income source) be it. If I were in your shoes, I'd look for another part time job immediately to raise your monthly saving rate to 1600/month minimum. That way, when you do move out, at least you have a little leeway. If you do not, at least you'd be within first home downpayment range in 1-2 years.
Accountant (Public Practice)
  • Oilfield & Industrial Services, Environmental Services
  • Road Construction
  • Transportation & Logistics
  • Tax & Financial Analysis
  • In the Western Canadian Oilfield since 2013
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2005
1988 posts
1795 upvotes
wiktoro wrote: Hello,
Car insurance is $410/month?! Holy crap. How many DUIs do you have? Lol.
Or, am I just being naive and this is a consistent rate in Toronto? (I don’t live in the GTA).
Jul 29, 2017
132 posts
107 upvotes
$200 on going out isn't too bad but the $95 phone bill is quite a lot. What carrier and plan are you on?
Jul 30, 2015
901 posts
854 upvotes
410$ a month on insurance... that's almost 5000$ a year.... freaks me out. This and the phone bill 95$ which I think is a bit expensive.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15537 posts
14070 upvotes
Going to the Moon
OP, you definitely must find ways of reducing those insurance premiums...you're not getting any of that money back in your pocket! Look into en route dongles that monitor your driving habits and yield instant rebates on auto insurance. Consider insuring the vehicle under one of your parents as primary (especially your mom assuming she drives), that might knock it down. At 19, owning a car isn't cheap. OTOH, once your car financing is paid off, you'll have a real strong credit score and history.

Gas at $150/month is fair. Cellphone bill is high unless you have iPhone X or Galaxy Note 8 on there. I think $200/month for recreation is fair...that's roughly what my "fun money" budget was when I was in school.

I guess the ultimate dillema is...ditch the car (and start taking public transport or Uber) or get a better paying job or second job. Even better if you can do both.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1817 posts
1859 upvotes
Can’t you go under your parents insurance policy and pay less for insurance? It would be cheaper than an individual policy
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5624 posts
1486 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Arkaine wrote: Car insurance is $410/month?! Holy crap. How many DUIs do you have? Lol.
Or, am I just being naive and this is a consistent rate in Toronto? (I don’t live in the GTA).
That's pretty normal for someone in GTA, GVA, or Edmonton area with little to no driving experience, or has ample driving experience but a bad record. It is normal for someone starting out to pay $4,000 - 5,000 for a year with complete coverage. Most people ditch the collision coverage and choose to drive a cheap vehicle when first starting out, as the bulk of that cost is due to the collision coverage cost (where then the cost of the collision coverage over a year or two is almost the cost of the car itself). Without collision coverage, it drops to more like $2,000 or less for the year.

Perhaps that is a beautiful piece of advice for the OP - to get a cheap vehicle and not bother with collision coverage. There's another $200+/month in the pocket.
  • Road Construction
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5310 posts
5427 upvotes
Ottawa
No, you are not spending too much. The goal of completing a budget is to help you determine how much you wish to spend in each category. It's your money and it is up to you how you wish to spend it. Your goals and wishes are different from every one else.
Jun 29, 2015
156 posts
105 upvotes
Canada Eh?
ProductGuy wrote: Can’t you go under your parents insurance policy and pay less for insurance? It would be cheaper than an individual policy
He's still the principal driver though, so his driving exp. would have a direct effect on insurance rates.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2015
1130 posts
725 upvotes
Guelph, ON
skeet50 wrote: No, you are not spending too much. The goal of completing a budget is to help you determine how much you wish to spend in each category. It's your money and it is up to you how you wish to spend it. Your goals and wishes are different from every one else.
Well yes it's his money, but since he's never left home he may not realize how crazy it is to spend nearly half your income on car expenses.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5624 posts
1486 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
pseudosammich wrote: He's still the principal driver though, so his driving exp. would have a direct effect on insurance rates.
He can become the secondary driver, but then that's only if his folk are going to do that for him. Given he's already shelling out that much, likely that's a no.
  • Road Construction
Dec 17, 2017
9 posts
2 upvotes
I don't really think there is a lot you can do. You can definitely look into a cheaper cell phone as $95 is ridiculous -- I don't think I know anyone who pays over 50 or 60.

I'm guessing the $350 per month is on a lease or financing for the car? You're probably better off finding something you can afford and buying it outright instead of paying each month (though if you're locked in then that's easier said than done). If you do that for 5 years, that's approximately 20 grand. What type of car could you own for 20 grand that would last you more than 5 years? Pretty much any used car on the market...
Dec 17, 2017
9 posts
2 upvotes
FirstGear wrote: He can become the secondary driver, but then that's only if his folk are going to do that for him. Given he's already shelling out that much, likely that's a no.
This is only applicable if there are not as many cars as drivers. If you have 3 cars at a residence and 3 drivers, everyone is automatically a primary.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5624 posts
1486 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
gorillatomato wrote: This is only applicable if there are not as many cars as drivers. If you have 3 cars at a residence and 3 drivers, everyone is automatically a primary.
Are you sure? Whenever you apply for insurance for a particular vehicle the firm usually asks to designate a primary driver, and then a secondary one as optional.
  • Road Construction
[OP]
Sep 25, 2017
20 posts
My pay is going to go up since I’m doing an apprenticeship in electrical so in about 4 years time I’ll be making $45 an hour instead of $17. I’m stuck with the car as my plan is to pay it off by the time I move out and not to have a car expense. One thing I did with insurance was get the Automerit program which will save me $100 per month starting October.