Sports & Recreation

Montreal Canadiens Mega Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2020 11:55 am

Poll: Habs vs. Oilers: Which team do you predict will win tonight's game?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.

Poll ended at Nov 8th, 2006 3:23 pm

Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13086 posts
7158 upvotes
Toronto
Now that was a beatdown!

Go Habs Go!
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12542 posts
1998 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Unfortunately, I didn't watch it, although I did listen to the second half of it while working. Was the score indicative of the play? Did MTL really play that much better than PHI?

Seems MTL is still taking penalties like crazy. Good to see Domi get going. Does anyone know why he was on the fourth line? Bad performance during post-C19 training camp? Didn't he show up late? Didn't really follow. Now to get Gally going.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
2342 posts
1617 upvotes
rabbit wrote: Unfortunately, I didn't watch it, although I did listen to the second half of it while working. Was the score indicative of the play? Did MTL really play that much better than PHI?

Seems MTL is still taking penalties like crazy. Good to see Domi get going. Does anyone know why he was on the fourth line? Bad performance during post-C19 training camp? Didn't he show up late? Didn't really follow. Now to get Gally going.
Score is definitely indicative. Habs dominated (or Flyers were asleep) for the whole game.

Domi opted-in late by about a week but regardless he somehow ended in Julien doghouse. Getting him up in the lineup was a no-brainer.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
2858 posts
758 upvotes
Oof, Habs shut out again. This Drouin kid is just awful, I can't believe this is the same kid that thought he was a superstar in TB and demanded to be traded.

Time to book the tee time boys. FORE!
Baaaaaaaaa!
May 15, 2019
47 posts
40 upvotes
GTA
The Flyers are excellent at plugging the Neutral Zone with bodies, I heard it stated several times whereby the D (Flyers) stands up at the Blue Line while the F (Flyers) are hard skating back.

What my old Pee Wee coach used to say was "dump the puck into the corner and skate hard at the D, lay a body check and get possession either by F1 or F2" It's "Don Cherry" (and Fred Shero) hockey but it works.

Since the goalie can't play the puck in the corner, a puck lobbed into the corner gives the Habs a better chance at puck retrieval.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12542 posts
1998 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Flyers will wilt if MTL forces the speed game.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13086 posts
7158 upvotes
Toronto
Great effort and sense of urgency last night, no idea why they didn't play like that in games 3&4.

Gallagher looking like Gallagher again.

Hart either pitches a shutout or gets yanked.....

Go Habs Go!
May 15, 2019
47 posts
40 upvotes
GTA
Game 6 tonight, but Niskanen only gets a 1 game suspension for breaking Gallagher's jaw in game 5. A vicious cross-check against an unprotected face.

If the league won't dole out justice, then the players probably will.

I think this'll get ugly if Philly looks like they've got the game won (3 goal lead) with less than 5 minutes to play in the 3rd period. Emotions are raw.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
4753 posts
1108 upvotes
Abbottabad
One game suspension for deliberately breaking a guy's jaw. Man the NHL is becoming a joke league. Hope somebody takes off his head tonight.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13086 posts
7158 upvotes
Toronto
SnowyDumpling wrote: Game 6 tonight, but Niskanen only gets a 1 game suspension for breaking Gallagher's jaw in game 5. A vicious cross-check against an unprotected face.

If the league won't dole out justice, then the players probably will.

I think this'll get ugly if Philly looks like they've got the game won (3 goal lead) with less than 5 minutes to play in the 3rd period. Emotions are raw.
iamskyhigh wrote: One game suspension for deliberately breaking a guy's jaw. Man the NHL is becoming a joke league. Hope somebody takes off his head tonight.
It makes no sense that Niskanen got 1 game while Gallagher is out for the series.

Not just in this case, but Niskanen should have been suspended for at least the balance of the series (which wound have been 1 game anyway)

Anyway, Habs did better than I thought they wound against the Flyers....nothing to be ashamed of.

Go Habs Go !
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12542 posts
1998 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
MTL outplayed PHI in the series, I thought, but PHI got the bounces. Series was lost in games 3/4, when MTL let PHI dictate the style of play. Oh well, still good experience for the younger players, and they weren't even supposed to be in any kind of playoffs.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2187 posts
1693 upvotes
Markham
rabbit wrote: MTL outplayed PHI in the series, I thought, but PHI got the bounces. Series was lost in games 3/4, when MTL let PHI dictate the style of play. Oh well, still good experience for the younger players, and they weren't even supposed to be in any kind of playoffs.
Yeah, Philly’s big scorers couldn’t do jack. Too bad our team handled the deflections on Price for them.

I can’t say I’m mad as we weren’t even supposed to be there. Sucks we lost out on the lottery but man, did Suzuki (and Kotkaniemi) really emerge!

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12542 posts
1998 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
We may have lost out on the Drouin trade, but you've got to give credit to Bergevin for getting Suzuki and Tatar for Patches.