Montreal Canadiens Mega Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 8:37 am
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Meh, losing to the Canucks. Oh well, at least they still got a point. MTL didn't look good until they got behind during the third period, around the 10min mark. Third stop on a road trip, so not that much of a surprise. Weird to have them play in Vancouver three games in a row.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14185 upvotes
Toronto
i'm in Toronto, i bought the NHL Live French package to watch all the Habs games. It's $54 for the season,.

In years past i bought French Centre Ice.

It worked fine the Edmonton game, last night it was all blacked out.

Late night Rogers "chat" and call centre didn't respond.

Anyone else having this issue or have a better solution?

I will try Rogers again today during the day in advance of tonight's game.
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I watched it on Sportsnet TV, so have no idea about your issues.

That's more like it, for today's. Canucks being the chumps that they are. Habs are taking way too many penalties, or maybe they're gunning for the most shorthanded goals in a season :D .

I don't know how Allen will work out, but great thinking to get a backup goalie who isn't leaky, seeing as the backup is going to get more games than normal in this compacted season.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14185 upvotes
Toronto
Too many penalties yes, but there were several phantom calls on both teams last night.

Absolutely disgraceful cheap shot on Armia leading to his concussion. Again he was finally playing well and gets hurt, like last year.

Myers should be suspended.

Jake Allen has looked great so far
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
How good is that Suzuki/Tatar trade for Pacioretti looking now? Suzuki doesn't seem that he will be the streaky guy that Patches was, and a centreman, to boot.

Good non-call on the non-offside. I never even thought about a situation like that (and neither did VAN's coach, apparently).

Enjoyed the run of games so far, but now, it's almost a week before they play again, so that sucks.
Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2008
10991 posts
13540 upvotes
Swerny wrote: Absolutely disgraceful cheap shot on Armia leading to his concussion.

Myers should be suspended.
Not a Habs fan, but I agree absolutely.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him = Never argue with an idiot, they'll only bring you down to their level & beat you with experience
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Forgot to mention the international air mail that led to the empty netter :) .
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10174 posts
8299 upvotes
Toronto
Just visiting from the Leafs thread.
Just curious - what has been the big difference between seasons?
What's working that wasn't before?
Is it a blip, or can we look forward to a Leafs/Habs rivalry for the top of the North?
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14185 upvotes
Toronto
shikotee wrote: Just visiting from the Leafs thread.
Is it a blip, or can we look forward to a Leafs/Habs rivalry for the top of the North?
Welcome!

More scoring (Anderson, Toffoli), more depth ( Romanov, Allen, Edmundson, Perry, Frolik), building off the playoff experience.

I pick the Habs to win the Canadian division TBH if they can stay healthy.

Having Allen as 1B to Price 1A should be huge
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10174 posts
8299 upvotes
Toronto
Swerny wrote: Welcome!

More scoring (Anderson, Toffoli), more depth ( Romanov, Allen, Edmundson, Perry, Frolik), building off the playoff experience.

I pick the Habs to win the Canadian division TBH if they can stay healthy.
I was saying in the Leafs thread - both Habs and Leafs did not have decent backup goalies for majority of last season.
This season, backups have won 2 games respectively for both, so gaining points while also letting starters rest.
It seemed like last season, Price carried the Habs on his back (based on his stats, especially shots fired upon).
Looking forward to when we match up again in a couple of weeks.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
3579 posts
2985 upvotes
Markham
shikotee wrote: Just visiting from the Leafs thread.
While extremists from both fan bases will just rip one another, I think reasonable fans will realize the Habs and Leafs are the top-2 teams in the division.

That said, key factors compared to last few seasons:

1. Scoring depth was greatly improved with Anderson and Toffoli. Anderson also adds a lot more toughness.
2. Little was known about him, even by Habs fans, but Romanov would probably be a top-10 pick if a redraft was done. Kid is legit and already playing big minutes in all situations.
3. Allen is a competent backup. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but it was a relief we got 4 points in his two starts.
4. Team backend is tougher and meaner than before with the addition of Edmundson. He was terrible in Carolina because they play man-to-man, but he was good in St. Louis’ zone defence, which Montreal uses also.
5. The continued emergence of Suzuki and Kotkaniemi.

Admittedly, we don’t have the raw firepower the Leafs have. However, we have depth in scoring across three lines, and the 4th line are capable as well of netting a few. Our defence is slow in my opinion, so we’ll have to see how this plays out over the season. Side note, Campbell is a great pickup for the Leafs and I hope he gets back to 100% health.

I’ve wanted Bergevin fired for years, but got to admit he built a team for the playoffs.

Freedom Mobile $40/20GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I don't know how much difference it has made, but I notice the difference in size from previous years. As said above, there's balanced scoring. Bergevin made the right choices in filling in holes this time, which means people aren't asked to do more than they are capable of. Drouin is still maligned by MTL fans, since he has a big contract, but at least there's less pressure on him to be the top guy now that other people are scoring.

Last season's playoff qualification success made a big difference. When you think you can win, you're more interested, and pick up your game.

Man, how great was the trade for Jeff Petry? And does anyone who thought the Subban trade was bad missing him? (FYI, I wasn't against trading Subban, but I thought MTL could have gotten more than 1:1.)
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
3579 posts
2985 upvotes
Markham
I miss Subban of course as he was, and still is one of my favorite players. That said, he’s really fallen off a cliff last few years and while Weber definitely lost a step, he does fit what the management wants from their team.

Habs lost tonight, but Calgary really showed up to play. Anderson left after five minutes, but it was due to flu and not injuries.

Freedom Mobile $40/20GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Showed up by great goaltending on the CAL side. Not that Allen was bad, either.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
3579 posts
2985 upvotes
Markham
rabbit wrote: Showed up by great goaltending on the CAL side. Not that Allen was bad, either.
Markstrom is one of the top goalies in the league, though historically had struggled against the Habs until last night. Allen was the only reason we were still in it until the end. Credit where credit is due, Calgary is a better team than their record indicates.

Freedom Mobile $40/20GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I wouldn't say Allen was the only reason. It's not like the rest of the team played like crap. It was a pretty even game, I thought, although I only listened on web radio.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14185 upvotes
Toronto
Allen was good on Saturday, Markstrom was better
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
3579 posts
2985 upvotes
Markham
rabbit wrote: I wouldn't say Allen was the only reason. It's not like the rest of the team played like crap. It was a pretty even game, I thought, although I only listened on web radio.
I dunno. Maybe I was tired and annoyed, but the Habs had chances, and while Markstrom deserves full credit for making some key saves, it seemed to me while watching that the Habs simply blasted the puck into his crest.

Some line-up changes tonight: Mete in, Kulak out.

Mete's apparently asked for a trade so maybe they are showcasing him? Hopefully Anderson is feeling better and can play tonight.

Freedom Mobile $40/20GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
3579 posts
2985 upvotes
Markham
Dominant performance tonight. Needed that after the Saturday game.

Freedom Mobile $40/20GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)