Montreal Factory Outlets

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2010 3:25 am
[OP]
Jul 28, 2008
6 posts
Halifax

Montreal Factory Outlets

Hi, planning a trip to Montreal in a month. During the course of looking around for second hand clothing stores, I found this,

"Chabanel Street

Just north of the Métropolitain between St-Laurent and du Parc is schmataland: Montreal still has a large textile industry, most of which is located in this district. Here you'll find factory outlets that sell to the public directly, but only on Saturday mornings."

However, the website it's from is old, actually an archive from 1998. So, anyone from Montreal know if this kind of thing still exists, and is there anything online I could look at?

Thanks
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
50 upvotes
That sounds interesting.

I know a lot of clothing company offices are there, but not too sure about much else.
My mom lives in montreal 1/2 the year, so I will try andask her later on.

I'd be curious to know too.

Maybe try looking up on Canada 411 you can look up bystreet names and it gives you some info on places that have a phone.
it is a start anyways.
[OP]
Jul 28, 2008
6 posts
Halifax
Hey thanks for the ideas. I had a look at google maps and there seems to still be some clothing businesses there, but their websites don't mention any Saturday morning sales.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10815 posts
3105 upvotes
Toronto
I worked there when I was a late teenager, lol
Yes, that is the area where many designer name cloth manufacture there. I worked for private member and I remember some Saturdays, they are open for public to get samples and such....not sure when and where exactly for each brand name tho.....They have couple of big buildings around, I guess if you really want to try your luck, u can look at the company index downstairs and go ask. lol

Or they may have shop downstairs as well

Remember to bring cash tho, I don't think they take debit/cc.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Feb 26, 2004
374 posts
9 upvotes
Yes, as several people have mentioned, Chabanel St is the heart of Montreal's garment district. It is where all of the independent clothing designers are located, mostly in two large office towers (433 Chabanel and 555 Chabanel). Note that most of these companies only have design studios/showrooms on Chabanel, not actual retail stores. To get there, exit Acadie north from the 40. Turn right at Costco (at the corner of Acadie & Chabanel.)

A lot of larger clothing companies in Montreal like S. Cohen (menswear - importers of Nautica suits), Rudsak (leather goods) and Le Chateau will have sample sales once or twice a year. Most people learn about these through word of mouth. You can check out their websites and e-mail them and ask them to add you to their mailing list. Also check out http://www.ilovesamplesales.com/montrea ... vents.html
[OP]
Jul 28, 2008
6 posts
Halifax
Thanks for the replies. I've signed up for the ilovesamples emails, but it looks like the majority of the sales happen in the fall and spring. Having a better idea of the search words to use has given me a little better luck with the google.

Thanks

ps, any shopping tips/ideas for Montreal in mid February would be appreciated.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
50 upvotes
Smoove wrote: Yes, as several people have mentioned, Chabanel St is the heart of Montreal's garment district. It is where all of the independent clothing designers are located, mostly in two large office towers (433 Chabanel and 555 Chabanel). Note that most of these companies only have design studios/showrooms on Chabanel, not actual retail stores. To get there, exit Acadie north from the 40. Turn right at Costco (at the corner of Acadie & Chabanel.)

A lot of larger clothing companies in Montreal like S. Cohen (menswear - importers of Nautica suits), Rudsak (leather goods) and Le Chateau will have sample sales once or twice a year. Most people learn about these through word of mouth. You can check out their websites and e-mail them and ask them to add you to their mailing list. Also check out http://www.ilovesamplesales.com/montrea ... vents.html
All I know of buying clothes in Montreal is Catherine st has some nice stores.
But I do not buy mutch.

I buy more stuff at random craft sales or local stores or online.
or ebay :)

I know a local ottawa store that does get their clothing from montreal suppliers but no idea exactly who sells to them and it is not really a"chain store" and they have no website....all I know is this one store sells a lot of sample items,but no clue as to how theyget them here....
onlyknow this from going to the same store a lot and talking to the owner a few times when he was there...so no shopping tips from me.

Well,
Chinatown montreal has some neat cheap stores for random stuff.
There is also some mall that is with a bunch of smaller designer stores and has 2 or 3floors...not sure of the name,it is downtown..will have to ask my mom today if I remember.
but no real "deals" in that mall, just nice items.

Also there is a LV "vuitton" store in montreal.
I've always wanted to go browse in there....but I always end up going to rudsak as i looove their items more and most are still Canadian made or some at least (read the labels) some are itely made or sweaters anyways have been from what i usedto buy....