• Dec 11th, 2019 7:53 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2010
1556 posts
848 upvotes
GTA

Montreal or NYC over the winter break?

Both are going to be cold excursions so I just need to know what is the better choice so that we're not just stuck indoors...
The dates would either be: Dec 27-30 or Jan 2-5

Option 1) Montreal
- cheaper
- go see a wrestling show (WWE)
- Montreal en Fete (Merry Montreal) in Old Port

Option 2) NYC
- Rockefeller
- theatre
- Times Square

Hit me up with the pros and cons during the coldest time of the year. We'll be travelling with another family who don't have kids coming (older couple, 45+) and we'll be with our daughter (age 12).

Which are the ideal dates and locations from the choices above?
Award Winning Realtor - I LOVE MY JOB!!
At the end of the day, you're the boss and need to make sure I'm worth your rate of pay!
8 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36086 posts
10173 upvotes
Ottawa
NYC....way more to do and see.
NYC is "open" year round.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2984 posts
2904 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Pete_Coach wrote: NYC....way more to do and see.
NYC is "open" year round.
Also way more expensive. Really depends on OP budget. Montreal is also way easier to get to (if driving), NYC better make sure the other family you're travelling with has all their documents in order. Nothing like getting to the border and being turned away to mess up a vacation.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36086 posts
10173 upvotes
Ottawa
Ecsta wrote: Also way more expensive. Really depends on OP budget. Montreal is also way easier to get to (if driving), NYC better make sure the other family you're travelling with has all their documents in order. Nothing like getting to the border and being turned away to mess up a vacation.
Well, I have been to Montreal after October many times and there is really not much to do. Most everything (tourist wise) is closed.
If you are going to make a vacation of it and while a hotel room is part of it, the room should not be the primary part of it :)

I have been to NYC as well and that city embraces the Winter and especially around the Christmas period there is extra to do (besides all the regular tourist spots that stay open year round)
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3171 posts
1322 upvotes
Montreal
As a Montrealer I'd normally recommend Montreal, but your dates are horrible for visiting Montreal. The only worthwhile thing I can think of is watching the fireworks at the Old Port during NYE.

I recommend New York over Montreal for that reason.

Please come to Montreal either in July (when all the festivals happen and the weather is good) or if you like the winter, early to mid December for the Christmas markets.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2010
1556 posts
848 upvotes
GTA
A downvote?

Someone was having a bad day, I see LOL
Award Winning Realtor - I LOVE MY JOB!!
At the end of the day, you're the boss and need to make sure I'm worth your rate of pay!
Jul 20, 2012
686 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
We went to NYC in early December in 2016. Lots to do and it's warmer than Montreal and less snow if any.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5882 posts
1255 upvotes
Montreal
The store windows in NYC at Christmas time are sights to behold. I've been there multiple times in December/January and have seen terrible storms and also times when the temperature was actually 70 degrees F.
Phils
Dec 20, 2019
2 posts
1 upvote
Dec 27-30 or Jan 2-5, WAAAAY more to do in a place like NYC. Much much more to see and eat. Tons of tourists too. NYC IS the place to be and you will see it and feel it with everyone around you in the tourist areas, of which there are many, many areas. Much more than any point in NYC's history, IMHO.