Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1362 posts
367 upvotes

Montreal street parking - traveller

I will be staying in Montreal especially in University of Montreal area over the Victoria day long weekend and I will be Airbnbing there. The place I am staying doesn't have any designated parking space but the host said I could park on the street without a permit. I am kind of curious to know how easy to find a parking space there and it will be okay to park on the street overnight. I read online I could park overnight at the university or any shopping plaza..
Can any member who living in Montreal can clarify the parking rules for me?
4 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3794 posts
2520 upvotes
Edmonton
Used to live there. As with most major Canadian cities, parking overnight on city streets is free as well as Sundays. Watch the signs. They will typically have 2 or 3 separate signs applicable to the designated areas. They may also have no parking on one side of a street on MWF and the other side, no parking on TTh which would override any other signs for designated allowable time periods. There may also be a sign for seasonal no parking. Also, if you don't speak French, bone up because the signs are all in French.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1362 posts
367 upvotes
Thanks. If I have to move the car depending on the time, it would be better to find a parking lot and park there and use the subway to go around. How about the university or the shopping plaza? Can I leave my car for about 3 days without moving?
Jun 29, 2014
59 posts
31 upvotes
Westmount, QC
bose wrote: Thanks. If I have to move the car depending on the time, it would be better to find a parking lot and park there and use the subway to go around. How about the university or the shopping plaza? Can I leave my car for about 3 days without moving?
as starchoice said, street parking is available, but with the high density of apartments in the area, parking is not always easy. there will be zones reserved for residents with permits. I don't know the specifics of that area, but you should be able to leave the car overnight on the street.

as for a parking lot. the best I can recommend is at 2 of the 3 hospitals in the area, St-Justine's and Jewish General has parking. I don't recall if St-Marys has a parking lot.

I would not park at the shopping mall (they will tow) and I don't know how safe Plaza Cote-De-Neige is.

the only French on the signs are days of week and months.

Paul
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1362 posts
367 upvotes
pgartner wrote: as starchoice said, street parking is available, but with the high density of apartments in the area, parking is not always easy. there will be zones reserved for residents with permits. I don't know the specifics of that area, but you should be able to leave the car overnight on the street.

as for a parking lot. the best I can recommend is at 2 of the 3 hospitals in the area, St-Justine's and Jewish General has parking. I don't recall if St-Marys has a parking lot.

I would not park at the shopping mall (they will tow) and I don't know how safe Plaza Cote-De-Neige is.

the only French on the signs are days of week and months.

Paul
Thanks. I will look for the Hospital parking... I found the university of Montreal has a parking but I am not sure how much daily maximum parking cost is. This was translated into English so I don't want any misunderstanding... Does this mean $30 for daily maximum?

Do you know any municipal parking space (like green p in Toronto) near the metro that has cheap daily maximum? Since I will be buying the 3 day pass, I am also thinking to drop the car off and take a metro to come back to the Airbnb place. BTW, I will be staying at "Rue Fendall"

http://www.di.umontreal.ca/stat_visiteurs.html

Visitors will have to pay parking fees to pay stations installed at the inner entrance pavilions according to regular pricing.

regular admission

First 15 minutes
Free
16 to 30 minutes
$ 3
30 additional minutes
$ 3

per 30 minutes
until the maximum damage

Day - 6 am to 15 pm 30
$ 17
Evening - 15 h 30 to 24 h