Expired Hot Deals

[Moola] Gift card sale (20% off for Esso, Walmart)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2020 9:49 am
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
2489 posts
1718 upvotes
runbrun11 wrote: Like someone else asked earlier, what do you think is the end game here? What are they going to do with my name, phone and Apple Pay payment?
I don't know, but this is the most common gift-card form of money laundering:

You can buy stolen credit card numbers on the dark-web pretty cheap ($2-$3 each). Moola buys stolen credit card for $2, then uses it to buy $125 gift card from Merchant
You come along and pay $100 "clean money" to Moola for said $125 gift card
Moola sends you $125 gift card, withdraws your $100 "clean money" to cash

After a while the original/dark-web credit card owner files chargeback against Merchant, and Merchant voids your $125 gift card

Since Moola can't do this for too long (because eventually Moola customers will file chargebacks against them when their $125 gift cards have a value of $0), for this to be maximally effective Moola needs to circulate/seed some legit gift cards. Just enough to get an influx of "clean money" in their bank account. Then they cash out/convert the cash to bitcoin etc

There are of course many variations on this. Here's an entertaining exploration of the topic:

Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2007 posts
494 upvotes
Toronto
Thatdealguy wrote: Yes, it was a while back. All the GC and prepaid card balances were voided. They will reissue them if I have a shopper receipt.
forget to ask you though, so did you try to contact doordash to get your money back?
also, would you still buy gift card from Moola or you will pass the deal?
They already have my info, so I will continue to buy few, the worse case is to do a charge back....
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2007 posts
494 upvotes
Toronto
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: I don't know, but this is the most common gift-card form of money laundering:

You can buy stolen credit card numbers on the dark-web pretty cheap ($2-$3 each). Moola buys stolen credit card for $2, then uses it to buy $125 gift card from Merchant
You come along and pay $100 "clean money" to Moola for said $125 gift card
Moola sends you $125 gift card, withdraws your $100 "clean money" to cash

After a while the original/dark-web credit card owner files chargeback against Merchant, and Merchant voids your $125 gift card

Since Moola can't do this for too long (because eventually Moola customers will file chargebacks against them when their $125 gift cards have a value of $0), for this to be maximally effective Moola needs to circulate/seed some legit gift cards. Just enough to get an influx of "clean money" in their bank account. Then they cash out/convert the cash to bitcoin etc

There are of course many variations on this. Here's an entertaining exploration of the topic:

@moolacanada I think it's fair for us to find out more info about your company, please share some info with us, thank you. Most ppl have concern about your company.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2015
1064 posts
878 upvotes
Ontario
Sweet. My gift cards (1x$200 and 1x$100 for Walmart and Esso) were completed/verified without a phone call despite these being my first purchases.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
3518 posts
928 upvotes
GTA
Thatdealguy wrote: Yes, the balance will be voided. If you have all the purchase information, you can ask your bank to do a chargeback.

Try to use it right away if you are concern about gift card frauds. If you can't, keep all the records.

Take a screenshot on your Gift card (numbers/codes) and your credit card statement or whichever card you used to pay for it.

After the Shoppers drug mart incident, I always take a picture of the receipt if I purchased a GC or prepaid card.
For the uninformed like myself, can you elaborate on the SDM incident?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
2489 posts
1718 upvotes
spy cl wrote: only time will tell, let's wait and see if my cc got fraud transaction, i hope not, but yeah.. let's see.

Other gift card companies like UGO also are holding our info, so the risk is everywhere, so it's up to everyone though, if you don't want to have the sweet deal, feel free to pass.
I think UGO is a good comparison. UGO is owned by the big banks and they aren't shy about the fact that they are collecting as much information from you as possible and how they package that data and then leverage it with their partners. UGO's bank's goal is 360 degree data collection, to see all your transactions and spending behaviour, so they can sell you loans and mortgages and credit cards, and cars through their partners, and other high-margin products. It's very valuable data for the banks, but even the banks aren't spending anywhere near as much on Customer Acquisition as Moola. So.... if Moola is legit, what is their end game? What's the business model? Yes your data has value but who is going to pay that much for it? If another company wanted your transactional data wouldn't they go to one of the other myriad of fintech startups that lure people in with "Free Money" like UGO/Drop/Stack/Rakuten (but note that none of these companies offer anywhere near as much "Free Money" as Moola). Moola doesn't even seem to be collecting that much data either...
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
2489 posts
1718 upvotes
PaulL8160 wrote: I purchased 3 Esso gift cards and 2 Walmart gift cards through Moola. Reading these posts made me want to research more about this company.

Found this: https://www.skyglobal.com/products/ and https://www.skyglobal.com/about-us/

They are part of a bigger company.
Have you tried using/researching any of the bigger company's supposed products? It's all blogspam and vapourware
Sep 28, 2017
113 posts
89 upvotes
tofubb wrote: Same case here.
The Walmart $200 gc is still available, but you won’t able to checkout.
Now I am a little bit worry about my perineal information,
Some of these typos are hilarious
Deal Guru
May 7, 2007
11908 posts
4807 upvotes
"No deals in your region......

Please check back later, we are adding more deals all the time"

What's up with that?

Region ... I am in Manitoba

Am I in the correct app?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
3378 posts
1115 upvotes
Ontario
Darkman wrote: "No deals in your region......

What's up with that?

Am I in the correct app?
same here. gotta be in gta or gva?
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay
Bank: Alterna (1.2%, no fees)
Brokers: IB (For. stocks/low comm)/Reg. RBCDI(service, USD)
Jan 9, 2014
596 posts
293 upvotes
Toronto
Yes this is a scam, please all Go away so I can get my GCs

Thank you
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
5141 posts
3600 upvotes

What's up with that?

Am I in the correct app?
minimalist wrote: same here. gotta be in gta or gva?
- Turn on the GPS on your phone
- Set Region to be Canada
📱 Telus: $30/25GB Peace of Mind Plan + 1000 International minutes
🎁 Moola: 25% bonus on everyday essentials (Walmart, Esso and Uber Eats)
💳 Credit card combo (2-10% return): Amex + Scotiabank + MBNA
Dec 17, 2009
658 posts
553 upvotes
Toronto
ki2017 wrote: Some of these typos are hilarious
Oops typo mistake.
Thanks for autocorrection to make me Grinning Face
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
3378 posts
1115 upvotes
Ontario

What's up with that?

Am I in the correct app?
If you're using Wifi only on your phone turn on your cell service. That worked for me.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay
Bank: Alterna (1.2%, no fees)
Brokers: IB (For. stocks/low comm)/Reg. RBCDI(service, USD)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)