Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Moon Cakes @Costco - $10.49 and $11.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2006 11:21 am
Tags:
None
Oct 27, 2004
407 posts
896 upvotes
Toronto

Moon Cakes @Costco - $10.49 and $11.99

Dbl yorks with white lotus paste for the above price : $10.49 for paper box and $11.99 for tin can.

Both from Macau and contains peanut oil.

:) :) :)
90 replies
Sep 7, 2006
20 posts
I bought them, it's pretty good. But last weekend it was a wooden box for $10.49.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
3940 posts
1 upvote
Burnaby
Which Costco? Probably only those with larger oriental/Chinese community.
Caveat Emptor! :rolleyes:
You don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate. ;)
RFD is EVIL :twisted:
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2004
1535 posts
9 upvotes
Sooo yummy but so bad for you. :cheesygri
Oct 27, 2004
407 posts
896 upvotes
Toronto
1) Warden/Ellemere -Scarboro'
2) 7/Woodbine -Markham
May 1, 2004
908 posts
746 upvotes
Montreal
There were some at the South Shore Costco here in Montreal too, but people were buying them by the case full, so they ran out in no time. My mom was able to pick up a case. Good price.
Nov 26, 2004
136 posts
4 upvotes
gflux wrote:Sooo yummy but so bad for you. :cheesygri
Yup, Lotus pastes are really fatty, so are the outer shell you can tell if you put them on a stack of paper, then you top it all off with double yolks in them just to add the flavour of cholestrol...

Im just glad they arent available year round, I'd have to run to costco to burn it off. They are damn good though.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10111 posts
1966 upvotes
Toronto
wow, interesting. This is only good if you are eating it yourself or giving it to a non-elderly.

Older ppl expects a better brand, one that is established as moon cake makers "Wing Wah" for example.

Or else, you may seen disrespectful.
Nov 16, 2004
992 posts
22 upvotes
bobmtb wrote:There were some at the South Shore Costco here in Montreal too, but people were buying them by the case full, so they ran out in no time. My mom was able to pick up a case. Good price.

do they restock ??
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
3571 posts
2935 upvotes
GTA
I was told that they contain 800 calories (the ones that Costco carries) per cake, or 3200 carories for the box set, or about 200 calories per bite....
May 31, 2004
203 posts
23 upvotes
Earth
lol, serious? Moon Cake at Costco? Anyone know if Victoria/Langford area carries them?
Mar 8, 2006
657 posts
7 upvotes
What brand are these moon cakes? I tried a few no name brands before and they taste awful (especially the ones sold in Chinese restaurants)...

I particularly like the Maxim brand...they taste really good...

Also, FYI, there are different variety of moon cakes. The ice-skin moon cake seems to taste better than the traditional ones...
Aug 9, 2005
142 posts
18 upvotes
It's a brand I've never heard of before.

The best part of this product is the packaging, which is very nice, nice wooden box with hinge, some golden satin-y material in the interior, looks good. Even comes with a nice shiny bag.

The quality of the cake is OK but does not compare to Wing Wah. You can especially taste the difference in the lotus paste.

Also, it is only available in double yolk packages, which sucks. I don't know why ppl want to buy double or triple egg yolks, really.

But the price difference makes it all worth it. Wing Wah is like $30, 3x the price. Confirms my suspicions on the markup on these damned things.
I saw quite a few "Tai-Tais" at the Markham costco load up on these things(saw someone with like 30-40 boxes)

F*cks up my health regiment, but I can't say "No" to them every fall!
Nov 26, 2004
136 posts
4 upvotes
flaming homer wrote:I was told that they contain 800 calories (the ones that Costco carries) per cake, or 3200 carories for the box set, or about 200 calories per bite....
Calories from fat are more important...
Cant seem to find info on the generic moon cake, but I remember something like 20g of fat.

Remember, almost 100g (~7.5 tablespoons) of peanut oil is about 850 calories, but contains...

Total Fat 100g
Saturated Fat 18g
Polyunsaturated Fat 34g
Monounsaturated Fat 48g

I'm not saying that its made of peaunut oil, or its pure peaunut oil, but just saying that calories dont neccessarily mean healthier. If you eat a tablesppon of oil from above and consume 119 calories, rather than 2 slices of bread 140 calories, the difference in fat is about 14g, 2.5g sat, 5 ply sat, 6.5 mono sat fats.

They are great in moderation thats all I'll say.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2005
2667 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
what's the diff between moon cakes and space cakes?
Jul 5, 2006
480 posts
407 upvotes
flito ray wrote:what's the diff between moon cakes and space cakes?
Space cakes are too expensive so I decide to go with moon cakes.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2004
1312 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
Costco had moon cakes last yr, at least in GTA warden/401. We found it to be great value but greasier than local made brands. my favs are the taiwaneses
PM for $125 Code off Peloton Bike
"Life is short, running makes it seem longer."
"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels"
Dogs aren't our whole lives......they just make our lives whole.
May 17, 2006
423 posts
7 upvotes
Ottawa
it was sold out in the kanata (only location) ottawa
twice.. it was crazy..
dammit missed the deal

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)