Careers

Moonlighting - Can I work for 2 employers at once?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2022 12:49 pm
[OP]
Sep 28, 2006
814 posts
758 upvotes
Toronto

Moonlighting - Can I work for 2 employers at once?

Outside of business hours in your own time for a few hours a week. Very casual.

Should this be disclosed to your current employer?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1741 posts
1703 upvotes
Check your employment contract and their policies.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
7668 posts
2100 upvotes
Toronto
As long the second employer business business have no conflict/ not a competitor with your first employer business, then I don't see a problem.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12625 posts
2719 upvotes
Toronto
Big companies have rules for this. Search it up. Smaller companies, likely not. But if you said casual, is this a typical part-time job?
[OP]
Sep 28, 2006
814 posts
758 upvotes
Toronto
I went back to read the policy and it looks like I will be able to do it as long as its not a competitor and as long as its not on company time and on company premises/equipment. Thanks everyone.

@at1212b not your typical part time. A casual advisory role that will most likely have me read stuff, perform edits, and guide the next steps on a product launch.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
10169 posts
2935 upvotes
If there's a conflict of interest it likely needs to be disclosed. If not, highly unlikely
Nov 8, 2006
964 posts
426 upvotes
Toronto
To be safe, tell your manager. Do you due diligence and have it on record.
You never know at what point it becomes a conflict of interest.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2005
1100 posts
547 upvotes
Toronto, ON
marketb wrote: To be safe, tell your manager. Do you due diligence and have it on record.
You never know at what point it becomes a conflict of interest.
Depends on your manager. Because some managers will pin in on you and say you're not focused at work or you seems tired etc.
Apr 14, 2006
946 posts
581 upvotes
St Johns
iverson wrote: Depends on your manager. Because some managers will pin in on you and say you're not focused at work or you seems tired etc.
Most will … shouldn’t day? Can you really work at night and function during the day ? He/she will immediately think your 2nd job is interfering with your day job, depending on your profession it will be a career limiting move Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
10588 posts
4552 upvotes
Mississauga
I would be surprised if your company policy doesn't already require you to self-disclose, and then they inform you, if it is a conflict of interest.

Like hypothetically, if I went and got a part time weekend job at Starbucks, I would still log on to my company website and modify my disclosure form to indicate as such. Wouldn't be a conflict of interest, but it's just good practice. Don't be like our Prime Minister "oh I didn't think it was a conflict of interest".
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1613 posts
166 upvotes
C-53
Thorkell wrote: Outside of business hours in your own time for a few hours a week. Very casual.

Should this be disclosed to your current employer?
As long as it doesn't interfere and there are no conflict of interest .. yes you can do it. No need to disclose to management.
Please thank me if you find this helpful

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)