Credit Cards

More credit unions drop CUETS.

• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2020 9:47 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: What will TD do?

• Total votes: 42. You have voted on this poll.
Let CUETS sink

95%
Compete harder against Collabria

5%
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2604 posts
2203 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
dmehus wrote: That's one rebrand I didn't really like...the new MasterCard logo. ;)

Cheers,
Doug
Idk I kind of like the new logo, reminds me of the really old one from the early 1990s. When used correctly it's pretty good.
DUCA credit union member
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
4439 posts
5184 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Anectodal, but CRA MyAccount Concierge Key is stating Choice Rewards Mastercard will no longer be a sign-in partner starting November 8, 2019. Perhaps this may be CUETS death date?
Screenshot_20190812-233822.png
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $6600/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sask-pen ... ns-2167222
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14073 posts
11728 upvotes
Not Leask
xgbsSS wrote: Anectodal, but CRA MyAccount Concierge Key is stating Choice Rewards Mastercard will no longer be a sign-in partner starting November 8, 2019. Perhaps this may be CUETS death date?Screenshot_20190812-233822.png
Crossing fingers for an MBNA merge. This is long overdue.

Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2604 posts
2203 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
titaniumtux wrote: Crossing fingers for an MBNA merge. This is long overdue.

Or maybe all the credit card divisions will merge together. Could explain why the Amazon Mastercard was canned after being around for 3 days.
DUCA credit union member
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
4439 posts
5184 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
15671959534011220374665.jpg
It's official. CUETS shutting down Nov 8, 2019. Cards stay the same and being rebranded as MBNA. Thought they would have converted the cards. When my credit union stopped being a partner, I downgraded my World Elite to the No-fee.

There will be a transition to the MBNA login now. Will probably cancel. I hate MBNA under TD :)

Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1238 posts
1317 upvotes
RIP CUETS, I never knew you and pretty sure I didn't miss anything because of it.
🏦 Banking: Alterna Bank (1.2%, No fees), Motive Financial (1.55%, No fees)
📈 Investing: Scotia iTRADE (XGRO, No fee for buy/sell)
💳 Spending: Scotiabank Amex Gold (5pts dine/3pts drive/1pts, forex), Brim World Mastercard (1.5%, non-Amex spend)
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14073 posts
11728 upvotes
Not Leask
xgbsSS wrote: 15671959534011220374665.jpgIt's official. CUETS shutting down Nov 8, 2019. Cards stay the same and being rebranded as MBNA. Thought they would have converted the cards. When my credit union stopped being a partner, I downgraded my World Elite to the No-fee.

There will be a transition to the MBNA login now. Will probably cancel. I hate MBNA under TD :)
Please don't cancel. Shuffle that CL into MBNA cards with BT intro offers.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
4439 posts
5184 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
titaniumtux wrote: Please don't cancel. Shuffle that CL into MBNA cards with BT intro offers.
Nope, I really hate MBNA, although I was with them via CUETS only because of my credit union. Kept the card only because their computer system was separate and my credit history. MBNA messed up my file like crazy. Want nothing to do with them and not trusting this transition will be smooth either.

Wasn't happy with their MBNA Smart Cash cashback downgrade, online access change where I had no electronic access for months, then changed my card to a VISA without informing us (cancelled this card). Couple years later tried signed up for MBNA Platinum for the 12 month 1.99% balance transfer rate a couple years ago, they messed up the application, the transfer didn't go through properly where I didn't even get the cash, but was charged for it, both card and statements didn't come, tried collection agency me even though they couldn't see the account or got anything in the mail, got it "fixed" only for it to not be, collection agency again, got it finally fixed with no card in the end (cancelled). Only for me to decide to try again this year as I wanted to try Alaska Airlines mileage Plan, got the card, but they couldn't give me phone, online access as they had a "one in a million glitch" as per their agent where they needed 4 weeks to fix it, called in 4 weeks later, had "no records" of this being escalated, got it escalated again, 6 weeks later still no access, had to fight with them to cancel the card, claiming Alaska Airlines charges the annual fee (are you kidding me??) , and had the complaints department saying that I should be patient. So as much as I want to be with MBNA and have the Alaska MIleage Plan card, I am staying away, 100%. Gave MBNA so many times, called them out on Twitter only to be told it's nothing they can control or "I need to be patient."

TD royally screwed up MBNA to a point that a single person shouldn't have this many screw ups in 5 years. Tried giving them a chance a few times because holy crap, how does a credit card company screw up this many times? And TD telling me I'm not eligible for ANY TD card or wanting me to visit the nearest branch (I live in Nunavut so a few thousand km away) to do the application, I'm really starting to think it's just TD wanting to screw me over for some reason.

I'm usually a patient guy when it comes to companies, but I just think someone at MBNA/TD Bank has a voodoo doll with my credit report in it or something :P Screw MBNA

[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2604 posts
2203 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
xgbsSS wrote: 15671959534011220374665.jpgIt's official. CUETS shutting down Nov 8, 2019. Cards stay the same and being rebranded as MBNA. Thought they would have converted the cards. When my credit union stopped being a partner, I downgraded my World Elite to the No-fee.

Took them long enough.

I wonder what this means for the rewards rate on these cards. MBNA had cut their cash back rewards rate in the past from 1 cent per point to something less than this but CUETS was left alone. They say that the rewards programme won't change but I imagine it will be integrated with MBNA's eventually which means the same crap rate. I also wonder if they'll just grandfather the entire line of CUETS cards or if it will be possible to apply for them again in the future.

TD is obviously doing something with their credit card division, I wonder what everything will look like in a few years time.
DUCA credit union member
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14073 posts
11728 upvotes
Not Leask
jacnel wrote: Took them long enough.

I wonder what this means for the rewards rate on these cards. MBNA had cut their cash back rewards rate in the past from 1 cent per point to something less than this but CUETS was left alone. They say that the rewards programme won't change but I imagine it will be integrated with MBNA's eventually which means the same crap rate. I also wonder if they'll just grandfather the entire line of CUETS cards or if it will be possible to apply for them again in the future.

TD is obviously doing something with their credit card division, I wonder what everything will look like in a few years time.
almost guaranteed to be grandfathered. no point adding to the product line.
Sep 11, 2011
739 posts
396 upvotes
Alberta
Got the same letter in the mail, only my CUETS card was a student mastercard I got when I was 19 and it's changing into a MBNA "Merit" Mastercard.

Mildly interesting is that they are adding Trip Cancellation insurance to the card, seems odd lol
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2604 posts
2203 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
wilhelmthe1st wrote: Got the same letter in the mail, only my CUETS card was a student mastercard I got when I was 19 and it's changing into a MBNA "Merit" Mastercard.

Mildly interesting is that they are adding Trip Cancellation insurance to the card, seems odd lol
Never heard of the "Merit" card
DUCA credit union member
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14073 posts
11728 upvotes
Not Leask
jacnel wrote: Never heard of the "Merit" card
And will probably never be listed on their website.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2012
1858 posts
1040 upvotes
Kelowna

I'm surprised they kept the Choice Rewards brand. Should've just migrated everyone to an MBNA Platinum Plus or MBNA Smart Cash. ;)

Always hated that "Choice Rewards" moniker.

Cheers,
Doug
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2012
1858 posts
1040 upvotes
Kelowna
xgbsSS wrote: Nope, I really hate MBNA, although I was with them via CUETS only because of my credit union. Kept the card only because their computer system was separate and my credit history. MBNA messed up my file like crazy. Want nothing to do with them and not trusting this transition will be smooth either.

Wasn't happy with their MBNA Smart Cash cashback downgrade, online access change where I had no electronic access for months, then changed my card to a VISA without informing us (cancelled this card). Couple years later tried signed up for MBNA Platinum for the 12 month 1.99% balance transfer rate a couple years ago, they messed up the application, the transfer didn't go through properly where I didn't even get the cash, but was charged for it, both card and statements didn't come, tried collection agency me even though they couldn't see the account or got anything in the mail, got it "fixed" only for it to not be, collection agency again, got it finally fixed with no card in the end (cancelled). Only for me to decide to try again this year as I wanted to try Alaska Airlines mileage Plan, got the card, but they couldn't give me phone, online access as they had a "one in a million glitch" as per their agent where they needed 4 weeks to fix it, called in 4 weeks later, had "no records" of this being escalated, got it escalated again, 6 weeks later still no access, had to fight with them to cancel the card, claiming Alaska Airlines charges the annual fee (are you kidding me??) , and had the complaints department saying that I should be patient. So as much as I want to be with MBNA and have the Alaska MIleage Plan card, I am staying away, 100%. Gave MBNA so many times, called them out on Twitter only to be told it's nothing they can control or "I need to be patient."

TD royally screwed up MBNA to a point that a single person shouldn't have this many screw ups in 5 years. Tried giving them a chance a few times because holy crap, how does a credit card company screw up this many times? And TD telling me I'm not eligible for ANY TD card or wanting me to visit the nearest branch (I live in Nunavut so a few thousand km away) to do the application, I'm really starting to think it's just TD wanting to screw me over for some reason.

I'm usually a patient guy when it comes to companies, but I just think someone at MBNA/TD Bank has a voodoo doll with my credit report in it or something :P Screw MBNA
Did you end up cancelling?
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2012
1858 posts
1040 upvotes
Kelowna
xgbsSS wrote: What? They aren't your radar for financial products??? ;)

Collabria also issues for Dominion Lending Centres
@xgbsSS Can you provide proof of that? I tried to confirm that, by typing in "dominion" or "lending" at www.collabriacreditcards.ca, but can't confirm who issues their cards.

Edit: Disregard. My bad. See @jevonb's reply and my reply to @jevonb.

Cheers,
Doug
Last edited by dmehus on May 4th, 2020 5:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2012
1858 posts
1040 upvotes
Kelowna
@xgbsSS Can you edit your post # 25 on page 2 of this thread that showed which CUs were still using CUETS, now that CUETS is no more?

Would be nice to see them all struck through. ;)

Cheers,
Doug
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2012
1858 posts
1040 upvotes
Kelowna
jevonb wrote: Dominion website offers several different Collabria Visa cards.
https://dominionlending.ca/visa-cards-overview/
@jevonb My bad. I knew that actually. I guess I was just thinking of Canadian First Financial Centres Ltd. (who used to own Home Bank when it was then known as CFF Bank and RedBrick Bank before that), wondering who issues their cards. ;)

Cheers,
Doug