Green / Eco-Friendly

Is it more economical to run the A/C only during off-peak hours?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 12th, 2018 1:53 pm
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10212 posts
5525 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Bawler wrote:
Average prices for USA cities:

NYC - 29.67¢/kWh
San Fran - 31.05¢/kWh
Miami - 13.39¢/kWh
Detroit - 21.22¢/kWh
Boston - 28.45¢/kWh
Houston - 12.34¢/kWh
Seattle - 15.05¢/kWh

The average European price is 30.48¢/kWh (20.02 euro cents per kWh). Australia costs 31.83¢/kWh (34.41 AUD cents per kilowatt-hour).
And if you go to Hawaii, it's in the mid US$0.30 range. Solar panels and water heaters are popular for obvious reasons.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
May 12, 2003
1008 posts
386 upvotes
You can't just pick and choose one destination and say "mine is higher than this place"

Agree with Bawler, the rates around large cities in the USA, as well as Europe is ridiculously high.

My sister pays close to 80 swiss francs per month in hydro bills for her 600 square foot condo, same condo here would be close to $60-70

FYI: 180 francs = $130
tebore wrote: Ok but what's the rate for our neighbor Quebec ?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38383 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
WikkiWikki wrote: So then why do so many on here say Toronto and Ontario are the best places to live in Canada?
It's a great place to live, you just have to pay a fortune for the privilege.

I just signed up for a pilot project. I will have a flat rate 24 hours a day, but only for two of the four seasons and weekends and holidays

Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3681 posts
2388 upvotes
Mississauga
^^Which utility company has the pilot?

It is pretty close looking at my consumption of the past four seasons assuming rates stayed thesame (Costs $1.50 more in the Fall/Spring but $7.50 savings in the Summer/Winter). $6 difference is not huge but the cheaper Off-peak in the summer helps since that is when I do most of my consumption. Knowing my family consumption will likely increase since rates are "cheaper".Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38383 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
bubuski wrote: ^^Which utility company has the pilot?
If you’re in Mississauga, you’re with Alectra and you don’t get to chose.

I’m with Tay Hydro, they are giving me a free Ecobee 3 to be on the pilot. I like my current (non smart) thermostat, so I’ll be selling it when it arrives.
Jul 13, 2018
46 posts
3 upvotes
just want to know how it works in the condo system
heater and AC are included in my condo's maintenance fee. When I turn on the heater/AC, it won't have any effects on the hydro bill right? What about the fan for the heater/AC? I can adjust the fan speed but not able to turn it off. It's a pretty old thermostat.