• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2011 1:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2004
1509 posts
31 upvotes

More Future Shop Crazziness

Last week on the 29th I bought A smallville Season 1 for my nephew at Future Shop for his b-day. I gave it to him s days later when at that time upon openning it up we discovered the booklet and one of the discs were missing. So I toook it back from him and opted to attempt to exchange it for hopefully a more complete set. Anyway on the 3rd I went to a FS closer to me with said DVD set and my bill now I went to the returns desk and told them what the situation was and wanted to get a replacement but they told me I would have to go back to the original store to do the exchange. Now here is part one of the crazzinee or part 2 strangely enough the place I did my purchase was in the area of Toronto where the fire took place earlier and now aside from fire crews the area was all closed off. I mentioned this to the person and they still claimed they could not do anything. So I told them I was frustrated with the wasted fares to get to and from the location of theirstore not to mention the time to and fro.

So once I got home I went on their website and explained my situation via there contact us form on their website and how I was hoping to get this resolved before my nephew headed back home (which was in the US) Wednesday early afternoon. Now first phone and e-mail I got stated I had to return it to the original purchase store so I told them did you hear and read my orignmal form that the store were I did this was closed duer to fire. They told me they would look into this and get back to me within a few hours. So a few hours later I was told as long as I had the item and bill given the unique situation I should be able to do the exchange. They suggest I try to call stores before hand to see if in fact they would but of course despite numerous attempts no one picked so I ended up going to 3 FS's that were somewhat easy to get to. Now 2 of the 3 told me they would not help me out at which time I told them about my communication with Head Office so they still claimed they could not help out. Now the third place would of done the exchange but did not have another copy so was out of luck.

I opted that was it for that day and was going to do one last store early Wednesday morning still hoping to get the replacement this fourth time I was in luck not to mention able to get it resolved in time to get it to my nephew. Now when I got home I contacted their head office stated my displeasure with them and how I wanted them to make amends for all the TTC transit I had to make, the time to get to and fro those location and anguish. Now with all this being said do you think I handled things well? Do you think I should of done anything differently? If so what? Do you think I should be given more then just a sorry as amends? What would you of done if you were in my shoes?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2004
2778 posts
119 upvotes
Sudbury
Anguish? Really?
"What an emotionally wrecking of the stomach game"
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9051 posts
2348 upvotes
Kenny Blankenship wrote: Anguish? Really?

Apparently so.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
9065 posts
2767 upvotes
If you contacted their outsourced call center you didn't contact "head office". Head office is the key for isntant resolution and gift cards for poor service
If you aren't willing to take small losses, then you will take big losses. This is my guarantee. -
Mark Minervini
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
3947 posts
553 upvotes
Toronto
you need to write a snail mail letter to FS and explain your situation. email does not work.

many stores are hesitant to take back missing things because they dont want to take "the hit"
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1970 posts
85 upvotes
I don't think Future Shop at Yonge/Dundas is closed. The fire happened a block north, and the Yonge Street entrance is closed, but the main entrance is (I'd imagine) still open. I was there on Wednesday, and people were going in and out of the building.

So, maybe calling the Yonge/Dundas store first would've helped.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2004
1509 posts
31 upvotes
Well first of all the news stated everything between Yonge and Dundas & Yonge & Gerard was closed. Also as mentioned I tried calling a few times with no one to pick up. As for people going in a) are you sure they were cutomers and not people surveying the building or inspectors or some other sort of non regular customer. Finally as a side note I have purchased defective and or missing stuff from FS and other stores and as long as I had the item and bill there has been no problems those times.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1970 posts
85 upvotes
No I understand the last part, I've done that with BB once as well and it worked flawlessly. I'm just saying that the one at Yonge and Dundas shouldn't have been closed. The street was closed at the north part of the intersection at Yonge and Dundas towards Gerrard, so there would be no reason why FS would've been closed, since they had another operating entrance. Plus, if people were lining up for movies for the AMC above FS, I'd think FS was open too.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
6565 posts
2778 upvotes
Montreal
What was so important in the booklet that you'd spend hours of your valuable time in order to get?
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2501 posts
145 upvotes
York
I don't think it's that they can't return it in that store. It's more like the store you return it to looses out since they have to have that item in their stock now. I would have asked to speak to the manager instead of leaving.
psyko514 wrote: What was so important in the booklet that you'd spend hours of your valuable time in order to get?

Because you pay for something and you expect to get what you pay for.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6122 posts
989 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
psyko514 wrote: What was so important in the booklet that you'd spend hours of your valuable time in order to get?

I would guess the disc he said was missing.
˙dlǝɥ ɹoɟ ǝɯ WԀ oʇ ǝɯoɔlǝʍ lǝǝℲ ˙spɹolɹǝʌO pℲɹ ʎɯ ɟo ǝɔᴉʌɹǝs uᴉ ƃuᴉʇɐɹǝpoW ʎlᴉddɐH
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10768 posts
2614 upvotes
Victoria
I think you just had bad luck. It seems Future Shop has a policy in place where items need to be returned to the same store their purchased at. So thats how all the FS staff is trained. No the bad luck is the one you bought it at had a fire. It's probably a very rare occurance. It's been in my experience most businesses have their set of rules/procedures etc... If you need to do something thats rare or not common practice, the staff will look like deer in headlights. They won't know how to do, don't want to get in trouble for doing it, and have been trained not to do it.

It seems even the online CSR you got a hold of didn't want to commit to telling you outright a store would do it, but prompted you to try and call to see if they would (indicating the CSR didn't really know either).

Anyways, businesses don't handle the abnormal very well. Unfortunately you had a situation that came up that was abnormal.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2004
1509 posts
31 upvotes
First of al it was not just a booklet but a disc as well. Also since this was a unique situation that was beyond my control you would think they would of been more willing to do something.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
6565 posts
2778 upvotes
Montreal
I missed the part about the missing disc. Sorry!
Dec 30, 2006
175 posts
76 upvotes
Ottawa

Not to mention you can't really predict in advance that these things will take hours. Typically they don't.

I wouldn't give up on it though, based on principle alone. But then again, I'm a stubborn SOB.
Nov 30, 2010
173 posts
14 upvotes
zoro69 wrote: If you contacted their outsourced call center you didn't contact "head office". Head office is the key for isntant resolution and gift cards for poor service

So how does one contact FS head office?