• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2021 11:19 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2017
1017 posts
1002 upvotes

More lawnmower help… Honda GCV160

There is a small leak of fuel and I haven’t figured out the cause. Suspect maybe a hair line crack in the gas tank. See photo.

Last season I cleaned the carburetor throughly, changed oil, new air filter sharpened blades, replaced all the gaskets when reassembling the carburetor, and used sea foam aerosol for a good cleaning.

We were going to sell it on Kijiji and switch to the EGO cordless mower, but it start running so well that we returned the EGO back to Lowe’s.

The only problem I noticed is the small fuel leak. Can anybody shed some light or make suggestions. It’s leaking before the carburetor and the fuel shutoff is in the off position. The fuel tank is also not overfilled and even at 1/4 full it still leaks. See the photos, I have circled where I see the leaked fuel collecting and the path it runs off onto the deck.

0091D7DB-234F-4B46-AB3C-C044A83D5F19.jpeg
TIA
4 replies
May 29, 2012
602 posts
244 upvotes
Southern Ontario
That circles area isnt where the fuel would be coming from. fuel tank and carb ar higher up.
If the fuel is still leaking with the fuel line valve closed then you know if is coming before that valve.
You will need to take the tank off to see where exactly the leak is, could be crack in fuel tank or possible vibration wear if its an older engine.
Fuel line could just be old and cracking.

I just repaired the honda engine on my power washer that had a fuel leak, ended up being the barb coming out of the tank and into the fuel line was cracked.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2017
1017 posts
1002 upvotes
tony311 wrote: That circles area isnt where the fuel would be coming from. fuel tank and carb ar higher up.
If the fuel is still leaking with the fuel line valve closed then you know if is coming before that valve.
You will need to take the tank off to see where exactly the leak is, could be crack in fuel tank or possible vibration wear if its an older engine.
Fuel line could just be old and cracking.

I just repaired the honda engine on my power washer that had a fuel leak, ended up being the barb coming out of the tank and into the fuel line was cracked.
Correct. I stated the circled area is where the fuel is collecting.

I will have to find time to take the cover and fuel tank off and inspect to trace the leak. The barb is a good suggestion. Thanks
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1214 posts
418 upvotes
BC
I used a magnifying glass and flashlight to look at a copper water pipe for a few minutes to find a tiny leak.

Another way: If you press a clean piece of white paper against the bottom of the gas tank (or other suspected area) the paper should look look wet at the leak location. Might also work with a paper towel. I use this method often to find exactly where I spilled a few drops of coffee on a carpet.

Another method could be to use a smartphone or tablet camera app to take a time-lapse video of the suspected leak area. Would require setting the camera on something solid to hold it steady for a few minutes, and bright lighting needed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2017
1017 posts
1002 upvotes
To close the loop on this thread…

Took it to small engine repair shop. It wasn’t a fuel leak, but oil leak.

Said it’s from worn bushing inside engine block where governor connects. Small amount if oil leaks and confirmed the bottomed of governor wet with oil.

Advised it’s not repairable nor part to replace. Would require new engine. So just keep using it, and monitor the oil level and if the leak becomes more problematic. Mower is 15 years old, so will just keep using it as is because everything else is in good condition and it works great. Mechanic said it won’t effect operation at this point. See how many more years can be squeezed out.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)