Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6333 posts
2836 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…

More Rewards revamp?

Looks like Jim Pattison's empire out west is getting a bit of a revamp. More Rewards (opinion here seems to be, it's pretty useless and prices at the retailers of the Save On umbrella aren't very competitive to boot) is being put into its own business unit separating it from Save On Foods which is wht it is best associated with. There is some talk it will go into phrmaceutical (or rather, drug store/comestics/personal care) sales.

I wonder if it's (Jim Pattison market hare and sale) is getting creamed by PC Optimum.

https://www.timescolonist.com/business/ ... 1.23966467
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
4 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16246 posts
13541 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
thriftshopper wrote: Looks like Jim Pattison's empire out west is getting a bit of a revamp. More Rewards (opinion here seems to be, it's pretty useless and prices at the retailers of the Save On umbrella aren't very competitive to boot) is being put into its own business unit separating it from Save On Foods which is wht it is best associated with. There is some talk it will go into phrmaceutical (or rather, drug store/comestics/personal care) sales.

I wonder if it's (Jim Pattison market hare and sale) is getting creamed by PC Optimum.

https://www.timescolonist.com/business/ ... 1.23966467
More Rewards has been talked about in the past here on a RFD

As a Points Hound, I was intrigued so looked into it

But as an Easterner, it was pretty much useless to us

Perhaps the thinking is to separate so they can prep to go national
(Sorry have not read the linked story yet)

Knowing that they are affiliated with PetroCanada Points
Filling a bit of the void that Carrot Rewards has left in the marketplace

Separating out would also give them more opportunity to find other Partners / Sponsors

But the Multi Partner Amalgamated Points Program
Is a tough market
Except for AirMiles (Canada & Internationally)
Few have much success

AirMiles USA was a bust in its first year
Plenti USA lasted 3 years

Carrot here lasted 3 years

What is HOT ... is Drop Rewards
(Partnered with Sephora, Starbucks, Whole Foods & Uber)
And geared to Millennials

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_(loyalty_program)
https://www.joindrop.com/

Maybe More is preparing to go head to head with it
OR...
Maybe Drop is going to partner with More
(OR acquire it)

Ok... now I will go read the link to see if there’s anything else I might want to add to the opinion that I have had about More for awhile
Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10926 posts
13330 upvotes
Vancouver
PointsHubby wrote: As a Points Hound, I was intrigued so looked into it

But as an Easterner, it was pretty much useless to us
If you already fill up at Petro-Canada and collect Petro Points, you can collect More Rewards points on top of that. It's free to join so why not. Yeah you can't do in-store redemptions like us in the West can, but those are just about the worst use of points. I never do that. I save them up for until I take a WestJet flight and cash them in then, which is a much better redemption, and which anyone from any province can do.

But the real value of More Rewards is not in the points you collect, it's in the instant discounts you get at the cash register on sale items (yes, in the West only.) You need to be a member to get those. Those discounts can be superb, getting you better prices on those items than you can get at No Frills or anywhere else.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2019
2353 posts
18775 upvotes
Slightly off topic but has anyone successfully tried to price match a personalized more rewards offer at another store, such as RCSS?

If it wasn’t for the fact that the Optimum rewards program is superior to More Rewards, SOM would be my preferred grocery store. Staff is friendlier, it’s bright, looks clean and more enjoyable to shop there.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10082 posts
2033 upvotes
Victoria
Interesting. We shop at Save-On but it's one of those old school chains that changes their sale inventory every week, so items you want might rotate on sale every 3 or 4 weeks. Thus you have to get in the habit of buying your non-perishable stuff when it's on sale. Once you do that it's pretty decent.

We use More Rewards to buy ferry passes. The best way to get points right now is to use their app and load their deals (which is annoying). You don't seem to get that many points for straight up buying groceries, mostly for the coupon on the app (and previously in the flyers). Spend $100 get $1250 points kind of thing.

Hopefully they don't cause a massive deflation of points :(