Shopping Discussion

More success selling on FB Marketplace vs Kijiji?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2018 6:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2010 posts
676 upvotes
Edmonton

More success selling on FB Marketplace vs Kijiji?

It seems I get way more replies and views on Facebook marketplace compared to Kijiji.

As for the actual sales, well Kijiji does sell quite often. It's a mix, actually.

Does anyone else have the same experience as a seller? Why is Facebook marketplace more popular now? Is it because Kijiji is more anonymous?
10 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12326 posts
4842 upvotes
Toronto
People browse Facebook just randomly. Kijiji is when people are looking for a particular and start searching. Facebook, you just hit the marketplace tab and shows you a bunch of stuff.
Yes, Facebook has your profile there, not saying it is 100% safe, but a bit more credibility than kijiji with a total random stranger.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2010 posts
676 upvotes
Edmonton
MP3_SKY wrote: People browse Facebook just randomly. Kijiji is when people are looking for a particular and start searching. Facebook, you just hit the marketplace tab and shows you a bunch of stuff.
Yes, Facebook has your profile there, not saying it is 100% safe, but a bit more credibility than kijiji with a total random stranger.
For a while, Kijiji was completely anonymous with no names attached. That was since they started anonymizing the email addresses. Now they list names in the listing.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12326 posts
4842 upvotes
Toronto
tablo13 wrote: For a while, Kijiji was completely anonymous with no names attached. That was since they started anonymizing the email addresses. Now they list names in the listing.
FB can be attached to your social media profile, kijiji, you just randomly created a username or make up a name. No different to anonymous.
Yes, you can still create a fake account on FB, lol but if someone try to scam you, they will still do it doesn't matter which platform, you just have to know how to protect yourself.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Jan 16, 2008
338 posts
132 upvotes
Chatham
I don't have FB (or many Social Media) account, but have kjijiji account. So you would lost 1 potential buyer here.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
6838 posts
2143 upvotes
0 downvotes
i dont have Face Book (or any social media) either, and DONT have a kijiji account, but you would lose 1 potential buyer here too cus I DONT need an account on kijiji to buy something. you can buy something anonymous or no account on kijiji but cant on face book marketplace crap
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
14160 posts
29123 upvotes
I'd say I had better success selling higher valued items such as antiques or decoration stuff on FB marketplace than on Kijiji
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2368 posts
630 upvotes
Toronto
My stuff on market place sells almost immediately because it gets hundreds of views. I have found recently anything posted on Kijiji is lucky to get 1 or 2 views unless it’s in the free section
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2010 posts
676 upvotes
Edmonton
Heavenleigh85 wrote: My stuff on market place sells almost immediately because it gets hundreds of views. I have found recently anything posted on Kijiji is lucky to get 1 or 2 views unless it’s in the free section
My problem is it keeps marking my shoes as an illegal listing. I fill out the appeal form and Facebook doesn't get back to me.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9081 posts
2086 upvotes
With Kijiji I think people now have to register in order to respond to an ad. This is definitely an issue for some, not so much for Facebook users who use it for much more. Could be a good thing though to weed out fakes.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
676 upvotes
MyLastWord wrote: I don't have FB (or many Social Media) account, but have kjijiji account. So you would lost 1 potential buyer here.
There's way more fh users than Kijiji though