Automotive

More than 22,000 tickets issued by automatic speed cameras during first month of operation

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 9th, 2020 11:32 am
15 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34501 posts
20539 upvotes
Center of Universe
Revenue shortfall has turned into surplus.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 20, 2016
708 posts
623 upvotes
Toronto
for the most part they are not installed on major roads at the moment (but those are coming soon according to signage), so this "school zone safety" message is more convincing for now.

A lot of us already have Waze on, as more of these come online I'm sure there's gonna be more sales for phone mounts and folks asking more about smartphone integration in their next car lol

I do wonder if ppl prefer these automated enforcement with no insurance implications (i.e. a road tax essentially) or run your luck on police speed traps.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13072 posts
1901 upvotes
Toronto
I think I may have gotten a ticket today. I was doing 49 on a 40 and saw the speed camera. I slowed down to 40 before I got to the camera, but maybe it’s too late. Does it detect speed from behind the unit or in front where the black glass is? Just curious to know how these work.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 18, 2002
3583 posts
763 upvotes
Brampton
So what is the threshold set at? The article suggests 10km/h over the limit will get a ticket, which IMO is tighter than before, so Im not surprised that the numbers are that high.
Personally I am in favor of speed cameras. Right now there are too many drivers going way over the limit, hoping they wont get caught.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 20, 2016
708 posts
623 upvotes
Toronto
trixstar wrote: I think I may have gotten a ticket today. I was doing 49 on a 40 and saw the speed camera. I slowed down to 40 before I got to the camera, but maybe it’s too late. Does it detect speed from behind the unit or in front where the black glass is? Just curious to know how these work.
Given its a radar, range prob depends on size of your car. A semi will get spotted earlier than a smartcar :D But since it also needs to read your plate clearly, actual range is likely quite short, like <100m? Not sure the field of view of these cameras in Toronto, but imagine for wider multi lane roads a single camera can't capture all lanes equally.
prod wrote: So what is the threshold set at? The article suggests 10km/h over the limit will get a ticket, which IMO is tighter than before, so Im not surprised that the numbers are that high.
Personally I am in favor of speed cameras. Right now there are too many drivers going way over the limit, hoping they wont get caught.
you get nailed starting at 1kph over ... so the smallest ticket is gonna be $5 fine + $10 victim surcharge + $5 (?) court fee = $20

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5628529
https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/000161
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
11501 posts
7790 upvotes
Edmonton
Goose12345 wrote: Given its a radar, range prob depends on size of your car. A semi will get spotted earlier than a smartcar :D But since it also needs to read your plate clearly, actual range is likely quite short, like <100m? Not sure the field of view of these cameras in Toronto, but imagine for wider multi lane roads a single camera can't capture all lanes equally.



you get nailed starting at 1kph over ... so the smallest ticket is gonna be $5 fine + $10 victim surcharge + $5 (?) court fee = $20

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5628529
https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/000161
They CAN ticket you at 1 km/h over, just like an actual human police officer can. But nobody (AFAIK) has shown a ticket for 2 km/h over.

C
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
11186 posts
6177 upvotes
Markham
Goose12345 wrote: Given its a radar, range prob depends on size of your car. A semi will get spotted earlier than a smartcar :D But since it also needs to read your plate clearly, actual range is likely quite short, like <100m? Not sure the field of view of these cameras in Toronto, but imagine for wider multi lane roads a single camera can't capture all lanes equally.



you get nailed starting at 1kph over ... so the smallest ticket is gonna be $5 fine + $10 victim surcharge + $5 (?) court fee = $20

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5628529
https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/000161
Wow...they will issue tickets for even 1km over? Is there a error tolerance to your speedometer?

Are the camera locations "marked" on Google Maps?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 20, 2016
708 posts
623 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote: They CAN ticket you at 1 km/h over, just like an actual human police officer can. But nobody (AFAIK) has shown a ticket for 2 km/h over.

C
i have avoided the cameras so far which is not hard given their locations.. maybe i take one for the RFD team and test out the 1kph over theory ;)
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 20, 2016
708 posts
623 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote: Wow...they will issue tickets for even 1km over? Is there a error tolerance to your speedometer?

Are the camera locations "marked" on Google Maps?
i don't see why they wouldn't as it's automated enforcement.. same with the precise decimal seconds they use against you for red light cameras. I believe car speedos are generally a touch high vs reality so if anyone decides to test out if they ticket 1kph over, gotta really compensate it properly lol

haven't seen them on google maps but they are on Waze for sure..

based on their accuracy certificate.. this is the model that the City uses for those curious. https://www.agd-systems.com/agd_product ... ector-340/
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2505 posts
1745 upvotes
Markham
The irony is, if this program gets expanded, this is more likely to defund the police than any other.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 20, 2016
708 posts
623 upvotes
Toronto
JeganV wrote: The irony is, if this program gets expanded, this is more likely to defund the police than any other.
im in the camp of setting realistic speed limits and enforce it properly with a network of automated cameras. Preferably they judge on time / avg speed (i.e. how long it took you to travel between the two cameras) and not single speed snapshots so you don't have the entire flow of traffic brake at once.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
35593 posts
9636 upvotes
Ottawa
CNeufeld wrote: They CAN ticket you at 1 km/h over, just like an actual human police officer can. But nobody (AFAIK) has shown a ticket for 2 km/h over.

C
IAW the link https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5628529

"For the first 90 days, motorists caught speeding received warning letters instead of tickets as part of a public education campaign."
and
"Here's how the set fines break down:

Speeding 1-19 km/h will result in a fine of $5 per kilometre
Speeding 20-29 km/h will result in a fine of $7.50 per kilometre
Speeding 30-49 km/h will result in a fine of $12 per kilometre
Speeding 50 km/h will mean an automatic court summons for the vehicle owner"
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.

Top