• Mar 27th, 2024 6:56 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2010
5895 posts
2731 upvotes
Markham
EugW wrote:
---

BTW, what's good for getting rid of violets? I don't have a huge problem with dandelions myself anymore, but it's a constant battle with violets.

2,4-D or Dicamba, should the job :) don't mix it apply it on the leaves. Q-tip is your best friend ;)
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote: Afterwards, the dandelions will either die off or else become seriously stunted. You can dig out the latter by hand, or apply the stuff again. After several applications you should have a relatively weed-free lawn, to the point where could actually manage the lawn without the stuff by digging them out by hand.

So if I apply the good stuff say in the next few weeks and by end of May my weeds are gone, what's the next step? I have no lawn to speak of (it's completely weeds right now) so would i just dump grass seed and apply a layer of top soil? do i need fertilizer? pixie dust?
Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
6023 posts
1869 upvotes
Just some advice for you guys for next spring, the best way to combat weeds popping up is to overseed your lawn every spring.

If you have racoons digging for grubs and leaving thin patches weeds will surely pop up in those spots a week or so later.

If you keep the roots of your grass thick and strong it will choke out the weeds from even starting off
Feb 18, 2006
932 posts
66 upvotes
Ziggy007 wrote: Just some advice for you guys for next spring, the best way to combat weeds popping up is to overseed your lawn every spring.

If you have racoons digging for grubs and leaving thin patches weeds will surely pop up in those spots a week or so later.

If you keep the roots of your grass thick and strong it will choke out the weeds from even starting off

I agree with overseeding the bare spots in order to smother out any weeds, by why did you say wait until next year? I mean it's still spring right now. Also I wanted to add it's much more effective planting new grass in fall, it seems to grow faster and last longer with less competition from weeds, opposed to planting in spring when half the new grass won't have enough time to mature in order to survive the heat of summer. My problem is come August the lawn is infested with grubs. They always kill off a portion of the grass, and the skunks, raccoons and this thing I saw once in my backyard that looked similar to a beaver tear up my grass searching for these damn grubs.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5862 posts
268 upvotes
MrDisco wrote: So if I apply the good stuff say in the next few weeks and by end of May my weeds are gone, what's the next step? I have no lawn to speak of (it's completely weeds right now) so would i just dump grass seed and apply a layer of top soil? do i need fertilizer? pixie dust?

On my jug of weed-b-gone max, it says not to seed 3 weeks after applying.

Going to do some weed killing tomorrow :D
signature edited for rule violations
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2007
1197 posts
694 upvotes
Applied Weedbeatr today to the front and back grass. Was using 3 ounces per 2 gallon tank, and I needed to fill it twice, so total of 6 ounces for my entire lawn (medium size). I only really had 3 dandelions in my front lawn, none in the back yet. Others on the street have dozens or even hundreds.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1326 upvotes
Sauga
aaronl3e7 wrote: clover lawn yo

http://cloverlawn.org/
That'll help keep your lawn green, but it won't get rid of the dandelions. And you won't be able to use many weed killers like 2-4,d or even Fiesta without killing the clover too. Plus the dandelion stems have an easier time hiding in clover than they do in grass, so it's a little harder to pull them out. It's a good option once your lawn is (mostly) weed free, though.

I overseeded my back yard with white clover last spring. The lawn grew a little bit of clover last year, but this spring a lot more of it has come up. I think I had more dandelions this spring than last year, but I doubt it's related to the clover in any way. And I still have thistle, but it's not as active yet. :(
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
3010 posts
192 upvotes
Waterloo
Okay, so from what I've read in this thread everyone seems to have bought stronger weed killers from online sites.

Is there anything that can be had locally to take care of freakin dandelions?
:arrow: :arrowl:
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2010
5895 posts
2731 upvotes
Markham
jaigandhi5 wrote: Okay, so from what I've read in this thread everyone seems to have bought stronger weed killers from online sites.

Is there anything that can be had locally to take care of freakin dandelions?

Not in Ontario :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2011
4225 posts
56 upvotes
NORTH YORK
After spending so many /days hours my lawn looks much better. Just few are left.
I am still undecided but after reading this I intend to try this method.

Off-t, anybody can recommend good grass seed? I mean true and tested good brand? Thanks
"Internet is serious business" HeeHeeHee.
Losers/trolls waste time posting this "I don't feel like wasting time researching nonsense and trying to disprove the collective theories of a group of people that do not have, or deserve, even the tiniest shred of credibility. I'd rather amuse myself."
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22170 posts
824 upvotes
Newmarket
manmanny wrote: After spending so many /days hours my lawn looks much better. Just few are left.
I am still undecided but after reading this I intend to try this method.

Off-t, anybody can recommend good grass seed? I mean true and tested good brand? Thanks

Prob hard to beat Scotts, but expensive.

That said, the company that we buy our topsoil from, also sells sod...and they sell the seeds that they use for their sod as well. I bought some a few years ago, seems as good as any, so might want to look into that. Call whomever sells those big yellow bags of dirt in your area and ask what they have.
That seems as likely to be tried and tested as youre ever going to get, ESP since the sod is what they install in your area, and not just something bagged and sent all across the country to retail.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
2646 posts
81 upvotes
Yet another season with these bloody dandelions.

Is their any product that you can "legally" use in Canada that is somewhat effective? Essentially, if I don't want to order out of province, is there anything that I can use which is somewhat decent? What's the best product?

Pulling out weeds individually is just not practical. Thx. :(
Aug 25, 2008
639 posts
140 upvotes
Halifax, NS
flyz wrote: On my jug of weed-b-gone max, it says not to seed 3 weeks after applying.

Going to do some weed killing tomorrow :D
So i assume this is the case for the weed beater as well? If I use the weed beater next week (assuming it gets delivered) I have to wait 3 weeks before I can over seed my lawn and repair any problem areas?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
6023 posts
1869 upvotes
My lawn wasn't THAT bad, so I spent about an hour or two outside today and actually pulled all the weeds out from the root and backfilled it with topsoil + seed.

Some of those mothers had roots that were 12-14" deep...
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
We spent a bit of time cleaning up the backyard which was covered with dandelions and what seems to be creeping charlies:

[IMG]http://wildedibles1.files.wordpress.com ... rlie-a.jpg[/IMG]

I'm not too worried about those - I know Weed-B-Gone takes care of them.

The front yard is pretty clean, except for the odd dandelion, black medic, and other stuff that Weed-B-Gone also takes care of... Or I can just manually pull them.

The front also has this weed called bindweed which is driving me crazy:

[IMG]http://www.ksda.gov/includes/images/pla ... eed245.jpg[/IMG]

This guy has runners underground that lets them spread - Weed-B-Gone isn't doing much to them right now.

[IMG]http://www.lifetransplanet.com/wp-conte ... ndweed.jpg[/IMG]

I've been reading about them alot and it seems the only way to get rid of them is the banned weed killers, some gall-mites that eat these weeds (don't think we can get them up in Ontario), or to constantly weed them out so that the roots eventually die. I'm not a big fan of the latter... I might have to resort to spraying them, or at least that section of the lawn.

Anyone with experience with these guys? I'm also considering just hiring someone to treat the entire backyard with a more natural solution. Any recommendations?

thanks!
bjl (frustrated)
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2010
5895 posts
2731 upvotes
Markham
:arrowu: :arrowu: :arrowu: Are you using the WBG here or from the USA ? the WBG from USA has the 2,4-D. that's the one you want ;)

roundup will kill anything :lol:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)