Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
4709 posts
5208 upvotes
Edmonton, AB

Morguard Investment Corp (MRC)

I've been thinking about ways to diversify into Real Estate in my non reg account and I came across MRC - it's a company that owns and operates commercial / residential / industrial real estate mostly in Canada (Ontario) but some in the US as well.

The chairman - K. Sahi - seems to know what he's doing and seems to be an excellent capital allocator. In the last 3 years NOI has grown at about 5% annualized with FFO / Share growing at about 8% annualized. Share count is decreasing with time. The stock is near a 52 week low, although in the last 3 years the share price has appreciated by about 7%. Dividend isn't growing, yield remains fairly low. I suspect it's about fairly valued.

Basically my approach would be buy and hold and use it as a way to diversify into Real Estate. Given the low yield and div tax credit it would be fairly tax efficient as I'd really only pay tax on cap gains if I ever sold, which is why I'm considering it for my non reg account.

Do any shareholders (or, anyone else for that matter) have any feed back / thoughts?
Keep calm and go long