Computers & Electronics

Morning. Anyone on the west coast having big internet connection problems. I've been trying to logon..LIGHTSPEEED CA

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 8th, 2021 1:47 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2003
1500 posts
573 upvotes
YVR

Morning. Anyone on the west coast having big internet connection problems. I've been trying to logon..LIGHTSPEEED CA

Morning. Anyone on the west coast having big internet connection problems. I've been trying to logon on for an hour. Some sites works others are dead...anyone?
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.
16 replies
Jan 22, 2016
106 posts
75 upvotes
Can-Com's support website says that they are down for scheduled maintenance from 2:00 to 6:00 Pacific Time. Firmware upgrade on their network core routers. Since Can-Com and Lightspeed are basically resellers of Cipherkey (AEBC), I suspect its all related. It seems that there is a connection to 1.1.1.1 DNS, so if you use that, some websites are resolving (like this one). Very patchy though.

I can get to reddit, twitter, environment canada... but many others are still unreachable almost 45 minutes after the scheduled end.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4829 posts
4891 upvotes
Vancouver
Yes, huge problems. As it happens, I'm on Lightspeed too. But I can reach https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/, which shows:
Googledown.jpg

Oops, looks like images aren't loading, which seems to be the case for many sites. It says "Google.com is down for everyone", which is puzzling if it's just Cipherkey.

I can reach about 30% of web sites, fortunately including RFD, but images don't seem to be loading on many of them.

Alexa is up. Google Home is down. Home Assistant crashed and won't restart successfully because it chokes on the Google Chromecast section (so much for local control!)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2003
1500 posts
573 upvotes
YVR
i can't believe they did this. My day is shot. Unreal. Why wouldnt they do this on a weekend....people need access to work.

im still down most sites....RFD taking forever to refresh...

will rebooting help?
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.
Jun 18, 2008
435 posts
182 upvotes
Calgary
My lightspeed connection went down around 3AM. Came back up around 4AM with all these problems. Work from home my foot!
Jan 22, 2016
106 posts
75 upvotes
I have managed to work around this...

I already have Windscribe VPN downloaded and installed. I am able to connect to either of their Vancouver endpoints. Once the connection is made, I have full internet access on that machine. Hopefully this helps someone.

edit: I am currently using 1.1.1.1 for DNS.

edit 2: proton vpn also works to free USA server
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2003
1500 posts
573 upvotes
YVR
User864023 wrote: I have managed to work around this...

I already have Windscribe VPN downloaded and installed. I am able to connect to either of their Vancouver endpoints. Once the connection is made, I have full internet access on that machine. Hopefully this helps someone.

edit 2: proton vpn also works to free USA server
thanks but i cannot access any of those vpn sites to d/l.
i tried calling lightspeed but still on hold so either they are bankrupt or they are aware of the problem from the 1000s of calls complaining...

I used to work in IT and we'd NEVER do upgrades on weekdays for this very reason. Something always screws up. I don't care if your are MSFT or GOOGL - you do it on a sat nite/sun morning. Someone needs to lose their job on this.
Dec 23, 2010
54 posts
15 upvotes
Sherwood Park
Charles wrote: thanks but i cannot access any of those vpn sites to d/l.
i tried calling lightspeed but still on hold so either they are bankrupt or they are aware of the problem from the 1000s of calls complaining...

I used to work in IT and we'd NEVER do upgrades on weekdays for this very reason. Something always screws up. I don't care if your are MSFT or GOOGL - you do it on a sat nite/sun morning. Someone needs to lose their job on this.

Agreed. I'm with CanCom and we received no notice prior to this work. Also there is no updates posted on their support website, nor do they have 24/7 support to get a status update. Frustrating to say the least.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4829 posts
4891 upvotes
Vancouver
User864023 wrote: I have managed to work around this...

Thanks! This works for me with KeepSolid VPN as well. I guess it is the routing that is broken with Cipherkey, and using the VPN gets you to the routing services of the VPN server, as long as you can reach the IP address of the VPN server.
Jan 22, 2016
106 posts
75 upvotes
ekrizon wrote: Agreed. I'm with CanCom and we received no notice prior to this work. Also there is no updates posted on their support website, nor do they have 24/7 support to get a status update. Frustrating to say the least.
Technically they did warn us on the support page back on the 31st of March... but how many of us check that when things are okay? I would prefer an email. Cipherkey could have found better timing for this.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4829 posts
4891 upvotes
Vancouver
martin_nv wrote: I'm with CanCom as well and internet is down, but strangely RFD works.
They are posting some updates at www.can-com.com/Support
Not much posted by CanCom - just "Further to the scheduled maintenance early this morning, Internet service is still down. We are looking into it and hop e to have the service restored very soon. We apologize for the inconvenience."

The Lightspeed.ca web site is barely responding (via VPN since their own routing service isn't working). They don't have a Status page, and we didn't receive any courtesy notice of scheduled maintenance. That's bad!

But it looks like they are coming back up right now.
Jan 22, 2016
106 posts
75 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: Not much posted by CanCom - just "Further to the scheduled maintenance early this morning, Internet service is still down. We are looking into it and hop e to have the service restored very soon. We apologize for the inconvenience."

The Lightspeed.ca web site is barely responding (via VPN since their own routing service isn't working). They don't have a Status page, and we didn't receive any courtesy notice of scheduled maintenance. That's bad!

But it looks like they are coming back up right now.
Yup, I was trying to find some download links to download Opera (because it has a built in VPN of enabled) and just after I found them, all the working connections crashed. I had a feeling that that was a precursor to everything coming back up, which it did.

BTW, full offline installers for Opera, which were accessible from the "partial" connection were: https://get.geo.opera.com/pub/opera/desktop/75.0.3969.93/
Mar 22, 2004
300 posts
30 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks for the tip about Opera, downloading it now for the next outage.
Jan 22, 2016
106 posts
75 upvotes
martin_nv wrote: Thanks for the tip about Opera, downloading it now for the next outage.
Depends on the type of outage! But it always helps to be prepared.