Mortal Kombat - Challenge Tower

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2011 5:01 am
Mar 1, 2011
724 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto

Mortal Kombat - Challenge Tower

I'm on challenge tower 269. The one where you play as Stryker vs 3 Shoa Kahns. Closest I've got to completing it is getting the last Shoa Kahn down to 1/2 health. Using the gun attack (<-, ->, square) works well most of the time, but sometimes it doesn't cancel his spear throw and I end up dying.

This and #251 have been the hardest yet. I've heard that the 3 Goro fight and #300 are tough as well. Anyone completed all 300 challenges yet?
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 26, 2009
6024 posts
2116 upvotes
Toronto
I beat all 300 challenges a week or so ago; just need to idle about 4 more characters to get "My Kung Fu Is Stronger" and the Platinum.

For 269, if you're using Striker's gun shot, you should have no problems with Shao Khan except for when he throws that hammer at you. You should be fast enough to stop him from throwing his spear, but if you goof, just duck and let it pass you. When he revs up for the hammer, you'll have to just jump vertically in the air to dodge it. I found X-Rays useless, and just used the enhanced gun shot when ever the spear animation got too close for comfort.

For 275, Ermac vs. Goro x3, I was able to get this on my second try. All you have to do is time your teleports with Ermac--that is, you teleport as Goro begins his attack. That way, your attack always lands. Don't just spam teleport. Also, once you land, do an uppercut.

EDIT: Forgot to say, with Ermac, and other teleporters like Scorpion, jump diagonally into the air (away from your opponent), and teleport whilst in the air.
Mar 1, 2011
724 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
Xeerochild wrote: I beat all 300 challenges a week or so ago; just need to idle about 4 more characters to get "My Kung Fu Is Stronger" and the Platinum.

For 269, if you're using Striker's gun shot, you should have no problems with Shao Khan except for when he throws that hammer at you. You should be fast enough to stop him from throwing his spear, but if you goof, just duck and let it pass you. When he revs up for the hammer, you'll have to just jump vertically in the air to dodge it. I found X-Rays useless, and just used the enhanced gun shot when ever the spear animation got too close for comfort.

For 275, Ermac vs. Goro x3, I was able to get this on my second try. All you have to do is time your teleports with Ermac--that is, you teleport as Goro begins his attack. That way, your attack always lands. Don't just spam teleport. Also, once you land, do an uppercut.

EDIT: Forgot to say, with Ermac, and other teleporters like Scorpion, jump diagonally into the air (away from your opponent), and teleport whilst in the air.

Congats! I use the x-ray move when a new Shao Kahn appears. Since he appears right in front of Styker, it's easy damage.

The "My Kung Fu Is Stronger" is ridiculous. Playing each character for 24 hours! Even if you leave the system on overnight, it's a waste of energy.
Deal Fanatic
May 26, 2009
6024 posts
2116 upvotes
Toronto
Urdnot_Steve wrote: Congats! I use the x-ray move when a new Shao Kahn appears. Since he appears right in front of Styker, it's easy damage.

The "My Kung Fu Is Stronger" is ridiculous. Playing each character for 24 hours! Even if you leave the system on overnight, it's a waste of energy.

From what I remember, the damage that you do with the X-Ray isn't that much compared to three enhanced shots. To get away from Shao Khan, diagonally jump away and when you land, do an enhanced gun shot. That should stop him, giving you enough time to jump back again and repeat.

Yea, the 24 hour thing is ridiculous. I'm rotating idles between two of my PS3s to prevent any massive overheatings. Given a match in MK lasts about 2.5 minutes--and that's if you're lucky--the developer's are friggen insane to think anyone could or would play each of the 28 characters for 24 hours.

If you have problems with other challenges, let me know. By the way, you can use the "HP Recovery" method to help in those tougher fights. Basically, load into a challenge an purposely lose 6-7 times. Don't hit "Retry" via the Start Menu, make sure it says "FAILED" first before you do another attempt. After you lose several times, the CPU will actually give you an HP boost after every fight. This was incredibly helpful when doing Challenge 300, and should give you a boost for doing 269/275.
Mar 1, 2011
724 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
Xeerochild wrote: From what I remember, the damage that you do with the X-Ray isn't that much compared to three enhanced shots. To get away from Shao Khan, diagonally jump away and when you land, do an enhanced gun shot. That should stop him, giving you enough time to jump back again and repeat.

Yea, the 24 hour thing is ridiculous. I'm rotating idles between two of my PS3s to prevent any massive overheatings. Given a match in MK lasts about 2.5 minutes--and that's if you're lucky--the developer's are friggen insane to think anyone could or would play each of the 28 characters for 24 hours.

If you have problems with other challenges, let me know. By the way, you can use the "HP Recovery" method to help in those tougher fights. Basically, load into a challenge an purposely lose 6-7 times. Don't hit "Retry" via the Start Menu, make sure it says "FAILED" first before you do another attempt. After you lose several times, the CPU will actually give you an HP boost after every fight. This was incredibly helpful when doing Challenge 300, and should give you a boost for doing 269/275.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that. I was wondering why I wasn't getting some health back after I defeated a Shao Kahn, seeing as how I got some health back in challenge #251.
Banned
Apr 27, 2010
6280 posts
448 upvotes
Help me
THERE ARE 300 CHALLENGES?

Omg...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
5893 posts
42 upvotes
^^ lol

ya my friend and i ran thru 30ish, and thought we were almost done.. then i found out ya 300. i leave this game for when my friends come over.
Mar 1, 2011
724 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
Mr.Sea wrote: THERE ARE 300 CHALLENGES?

Omg...

I know. There is a surprising amount of single player content in the game (Challenge Tower, unlocking everything in the Krypt, and the story mode). :)
Mar 1, 2011
724 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
WOW. Just completed the Challenge Tower! Spamming the down, up move of Sheeva on #300 made it a lot easier. :)
Mar 5, 2011
186 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
I think the AI is made a lot easier on #300 if you die several times. I saw some youtube videos online and it looked like easy mode compared to when I tried to beat Mileena.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)